Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:56 PM

506 posts, read 1,404,678 times

Advertisements

Well, very few issues like this is written in stone.
The Latin Americans and Spaniards that I went to college with made a big difference, however...but these things change too. I have yet to meat a Spaniard that would include himself in the defenition "Latino".

For example, Finland is not part of Scandinavia to people in Denmark, Norway, Denmark and Finland, yet the English speaking world tends to include Finland in this definition.....

Old 11-08-2010, 03:21 PM

I'll take your word for it...since I do not speak Spanish (Castillian), Portuguese, Catalonian or Galician etc.

When I was in Barcelona and Santiago de Compostela it seemed that most of the the spoke the local language with each other. But as I said, I do not speak any any of those languages, it can be a bit hard to tell.

Interesting about the NM names.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,830,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
During the most recent election, I have seen all three of these terms used. For instance, Governor Richardson has been referred to as hispanic, while the newly elected Governor Martinez has been referred to as latina.

For me these terms are somewhat confusing. I would appreciate an expanation of the difference. Or can they be used interchangeably??

Sorry for my ignorance , but I don't have a good understanding of the hispanic culture.

Jim
Pretty much interchangeable - what you have to do is see what someone wants to call themselves and then just call them that. You might refer to someone as a "hispanic" and he'll get mad and tell you he isn't that, he is a "chicano", if you call someone else a "chicano", he'll get mad and tell you he is "latino". And someone else might refer to himself as "Spanish-American", but then another person might correct you and tell you he is a proud "Mexican".

What they various labels mean is pretty much what the individual wants them to mean and one person will tell you one thing and another person will tell you something quite different.

None are very precise terms because they can refer to someone who never lived in a hispanic country or region, doesn't speak Spanish at all, and they can be someone from any racial background, or they can refer to someone freshly arrived from hispanic country who can't speak English at all.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Pretty much interchangeable - what you have to do is see what someone wants to call themselves and then just call them that. You might refer to someone as a "hispanic" and he'll get mad and tell you he isn't that, he is a "chicano", if you call someone else a "chicano", he'll get mad and tell you he is "latino". And someone else might refer to himself as "Spanish-American", but then another person might correct you and tell you he is a proud "Mexican".

What they various labels mean is pretty much what the individual wants them to mean and one person will tell you one thing and another person will tell you something quite different.

None are very precise terms because they can refer to someone who never lived in a hispanic country or region, doesn't speak Spanish at all, and they can be someone from any racial background, or they can refer to someone freshly arrived from hispanic country who can't speak English at all.
Is that really so?
I allways thought Chicano was an American of Mexican decent! Calling someone from Spain, Brazil or Dominican Republic Chicano we would probably be met by puzzled looks or laughed out of the building.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:05 AM

Another question. I had a simiular one that was deleted...let me put if differently. Latin Americans who do NOT speak Spanish (Brazil, Belize, Gayana, French Gayana and Surinam), whom of them are ever included in the Latino definition. What about Haiti?

Old 11-09-2010, 10:10 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
Another question. I had a simiular one that was deleted...let me put if differently. Latin Americans who do NOT speak Spanish (Brazil, Belize, Gayana, French Gayana and Surinam), whom of them are ever included in the Latino definition. What about Haiti?
What about Haiti?

It was once a French colony and their language is currently French and a Haitian Creole Dialect.

But the topic of thread is "Hispanic, Latino, and Latina ??" that is why some of the posts have been deleted.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
What about Haiti?

It was once a French colony and their language is currently French and a Haitian Creole Dialect.

But the topic of thread is "Hispanic, Latino, and Latina ??" that is why some of the posts have been deleted.
Exactly.
If a Brazilian can be Hispanic according to some posters, what about some one from Haiti?? (I have been told by the two Brazilians I know that they do not see themselfs as Hispanic as tehy do not speak Spanish, but Latino is sort of OK) Not off topic at all. The term "Latin America" was coined by the French hopig to have grater influence in the non-english speaking new-world.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
Exactly.
If a Brazilian can be Hispanic according to some posters, what about some one from Haiti?? (I have been told by the two Brazilians I know that they do not see themselfs as Hispanic as tehy do not speak Spanish, but Latino is sort of OK) Not off topic at all. The term "Latin America" was coined by the French hopig to have grater influence in the non-english speaking new-world.

My original statement in this thread was:
Quote:
You probably should look it up in a dictionary. Hispanic and Latino Americans are Americans with origins in the Hispanic countries of Latin America or in Spain. But you will get a variety of definitions from various people and including the context of how the word is used.
I used that definition "Hispanic and Latino Americans are Americans with origins in the Hispanic countries of Latin America or in Spain."
I do not consider Haitians to automatically be American citizens. I do not consider Haiti to be a Hispanic country of Latin America. The Haitians I know, even those who are American citizens, never indicated to me that they considered themselves to be Hispanic or Latin Americans.

I got my basic definition from Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and that is the basic definition which I will continue to use. Others will of course wish to use other definitions.

What is your definition?

Old 11-09-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
My original statement in this thread was:

I used that definition "Hispanic and Latino Americans are Americans with origins in the Hispanic countries of Latin America or in Spain."
I do not consider Haitians to automatically be American citizens. I do not consider Haiti to be a Hispanic country of Latin America. The Haitians I know, even those who are American citizens, never indicated to me that they considered themselves to be Hispanic or Latin Americans.

I got my basic definition from Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and that is the basic definition which I will continue to use. Others will of course wish to use other definitions.

What is your definition?
I am not saying that I have a defenition, just asking questions.
I always thought that:
Latino - person from or roots in Latin America (this would indlude Brazil*)
Hispanic - person from spanish speaking culture (includes Spain but NOT Portugal...since they do not speak Spanish)

This discussion got me thinking (especially as some folks here says we can use the terms Hispanic and Latino interchagebly), Brazil is a non-spanish speaking Latin American country. What about other non-spanish speaking Latin American nations.

Look at this entry on wikipedia:
Spanish and Portuguese are the predominant languages of Latin America. Portuguese is spoken only in Brazil, the biggest and most populous country in the region. Spanish is the official language of most of the rest of the countries on the Latin American mainland, as well as in Puerto Rico (where it is co-official with English), Cuba and the Dominican Republic. French is spoken in Haiti and in the French overseas departments Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guiana, and Saint Pierre and Miquelon; it is also spoken by some Panamanians of Afro-Antillean descent. Dutch is the official language in Suriname, Aruba, and the Netherlands Antilles. (As Dutch is a Germanic language, these territories are not necessarily considered part of Latin America.)
Latin America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am NOT saying that people from Haiti SHOULD consider themselfs Latino. Just trying to get stuff straight for myself. No intent of trying to be annoying.

I just found this, and I will chare this incase ANYONE else is curious:
As employed by the Census Bureau, Hispanic or Latino does not include Brazilian Americans,[3][4][24] and specifically refers to "Spanish culture or origin";[3][4] Brazilian Americans appear as a separate ancestry group.[25] The twenty-eight Hispanic or Latino American groups in the Census Bureau's reports are the following:[4][26][27] Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Dominican Republic; Central American: Costa Rican, Guatemalan, Honduran, Nicaraguan, Panamanian, Salvadoran, Other Central American; South American: Argentinian, Bolivian, Chilean, Colombian, Ecuadorian, Paraguayan, Peruvian, Uruguayan, Venezuelan, Other South American; Other Hispanic or Latino: Spaniard, Spanish, Spanish American, All other Hispanic.
Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, people from Brazil are not Latino either.
*Latino only refers to spanish speaking parts of the Americas.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:39 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,456,654 times
Latino refers to Latin America. The Latin in Latin America refers to the Romance Languages, which are derived from the Latin language. So French, Spanish and Portuguese speaking people would all qualify as Latinos, if they wanted to identify themselves that way.

And please, stop with the Wikipedia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: