Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:07 AM

5,027 posts, read 7,409,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
What is the ratio of Castillian/Catalan in Barcelona, Valencia and other parts of Catalonia? How about Galicia? I have never been to Valenica, but I have visited Barcelona twice. I am bilingual, but I do not speak spanish.
I have some expertise on this so will PM you since it is off topic and I got deleted trying to respond before.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Hispanic = they speak Spanish
Latino = they're from a Latin American country and have a Y chromosome
Latina = they're from a Latin American country and have an X chromosome
Yo hablo espanol pero no soy hispanic.

Anyone can learn to speak Spanish and not all hispanics living in the USA speak Spanish at all.

No - it has nothing to do with the language spoken. Certainly people in Spain can speak Spanish but they do not call themselves "hispanic".

Also someone can be from a Central or South American Indian tribe and be unable to speak Spanish but is considered a "hispanic" in the USA because they originated in a hispanic country.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
This is a funny thread. I have a spanish surname, but I don't speak Spanish. Different people want to be called different things. I would rather be called Hispanic because my heritage is from Spain, not Latin America. So I don't consider myself "latino". This discussion is being held by people who are probably "white". There is no tried and true "label". And I find it funny that all of you are trying to "label" people who are from varied backgrounds, cultures and areas.
You're right. It comes down to how people feel like labeling themselves. And there is no DNA test to put you in one group or another.

I know people who aren't at all "hispanic", don't speak Spanish, ancestors didn't come from a hispanic country but check off "hispanic" when applying for financial aid so they will get it. No one ever checks them with a DNA test so why not?

Old 11-13-2010, 04:59 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Hispanic is an adjective and in earlier times the noun that went with it was "hispano", which was also the complement of "anglo". Not sure why it's fallen out of favor while anglo continues. I don't know if there was a feminine form "hispana" commonly used but you rarely here native English speaking women referred to as "anglas" so perhaps not.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:13 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Hispanic is an adjective and in earlier times the noun that went with it was "hispano", which was also the complement of "anglo". Not sure why it's fallen out of favor while anglo continues. I don't know if there was a feminine form "hispana" commonly used but you rarely here native English speaking women referred to as "anglas" so perhaps not.
You should NEVER hear an English-speaking woman referred to as "Angla."

There is no form "angla" because unlike "Hispano and Hispana", "Anglo" is not a Spanish word.

The Spanish equivalent of the English Anglo is Anglosajón/sajona.

Anglo is an English word that refers to both men and women.

Hispanic is both a noun and an adjective, depending on usage.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:17 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
You should NEVER hear an English-speaking woman referred to as "Angla."

There is no form "angla" because unlike "Hispano and Hispana", "Anglo" is not a Spanish word.

The Spanish equivalent of the English Anglo is Anglosajón/sajona.

Anglo is an English word that refers to both men and women.

Hispanic is both a noun and an adjective, depending on usage.
Thanks for the clarification. Were the terms "Chicano/Chicana" ever used in NM or was that just a 60s CA thing?
They seem somewhat offensive or old fashioned nowadays.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Were the terms "Chicano/Chicana" ever used in NM or was that just a 60s CA thing?
Good question. Chicano/a was in common usage in Texas when I was at Tech in the 1970s. It meant an American of Mexican descent born in Texas/USA.

I don't know whether or not it was ever used in NM, but I bet some of the old-timers can answer that.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:46 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,327 times
Quote:
Growing up here in NM I never heard chicano/a used, but when I was in college in Nebraska in the 1990s I took a course with the official title "Chicano Studies".

Old 11-14-2010, 01:06 PM

713 posts, read 1,845,867 times
I grew up in Santa Fe and heard chicano used back in the 70s.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:09 PM

578 posts, read 963,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post
During the most recent election, I have seen all three of these terms used. For instance, Governor Richardson has been referred to as hispanic, while the newly elected Governor Martinez has been referred to as latina.

For me these terms are somewhat confusing. I would appreciate an expanation of the difference. Or can they be used interchangeably??

Sorry for my ignorance , but I don't have a good understanding of the hispanic culture.

Jim
It's all a bunch of semantics. Hispanic and Latino are used interchangeably to mean the same thing pretty much. It refers to one demographic pretty much which is Spanish speakers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
View detailed profiles of: