Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 11:26 PM

368 posts, read 1,329,488 times

Advertisements

I lived in Farmington for 2 years and i would never go back,I couldnt wait to get out of there,The crime rate is high,lots of drugs,and the people are the rudest I have ever seen in New Mexico and I've lived in Portales,Clovis,and Albuquerque. Honestly I feel safer at night in Albuquerque than I did in Farmington.I had my car broken into,my apartment broken into twice and also someone tried to steal my car.Another bad thing about Farmington is all the drunk drivers, that place is bad about that.In my opinion,if you are searching for a decent sized place to live in N.M. then I would chose Rio Rancho or Las Cruces since every other town its size or smaller has more crime.Las Cruces is very safe and has perfect weather and palm trees and is only 45mins. from El Paso which is also one of the safest cities in the Nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2006, 03:23 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,174 times
Default Farmington and Other Cities

I know Farmington really well and it is an industrial city with lots of shopping and businesses. There are a lot of oil workers and such so it has a rough edge to it but I know that a lot of higher class people live there too in rich niche neighborhoods like Paso Robles and the like with chic large homes hanging off of mountainsides and cliffsides. You will also see drunks and homeless people walking downtown. It is like two different worlds. So it depends on your income there, if rich you can live in the paradise world of Farmington, if not, I'd look at Las Cruces. Someone mentioned about Taos, Durango, CO, north of Farmington, is a nice city much like Taos not as expensive but headed that way fast. Durango is building like crazy with condos and apartments everywhere so you can get into an apartment pretty easy but houses are high priced. Durango also has stores like a large Walmart, Home Depot and malls and such with lots of shopping. I also noticed that they want a healthy place, Durango is one of the top most healthy cities in America and that is why many pro bike riders live there and there are many health type stores and health food stores there.Taos is more artsy and a skiers type of town. So to some it up, if you have the money, Farmington or Durango,CO or Taos, if not, Las Cruces. Las Cruces is a cheaper place to live and it depends on what climate you like, palms - Las Cruces, pines - Durango, Taos, not anything but sagebrush - Farmington.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 05-13-2006 at 04:08 AM..

Old 05-15-2006, 10:56 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsportsman
Well, I lived in Portales, Hobbs-Lovington, Eunice, Roswell, Las Cruces, Albuquerque, and Los Alamos.
If I were to everrrrrrrrrrrr move back I would live In Los Alamos. Its the safest town, crime wise in the state. However a little more costly than some. Good schools and healthcare.
We left the state three years ago.
I'd concur with that.

If you're wanting to get away from the drugs and crime, definitely stay away from Farmington, Roswell, and Albquerque. Even Clovis and Portales have a growing drug problem. I grew up in Portales, and the crime rate there for such a small community is startling.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:56 PM

6 posts, read 56,790 times
Default Advice on moving to Farmington area

Hi everyone, I was thinking about moving to NM from AZ next month or so. What are the good and bad things about the Farmington/Kirtland/Aztec/Bloomfield area? Some people told me it was a wonderful place to be at and some told me I would better off just about anywhere else,after reading what some people have said I'm not to sure.How is the job market,rental prices and availbility,crime rate,areas to avoid?I'm going to be in my second year of college but don't really care about the night scene.I have only been to Farmington once for a few days so really didn't get to see so much.How are peoples attitudes towards newcomers or just in general?Anything else you can tell me would be helpful.
Thanks in Advance.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:41 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
I haven't been there in close to 20 years, so my firsthand knowledge is very outdated, but my step-brother and his family still live there.

Crime and poverty are pretty bad, yes. Cost of living is pretty good, especially compared to places like Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

They still get the hot New Mexico summers, but they tend to get some winter, too. Nothing like Colorado, certainly, but certainly more than the southern and eastern parts of the state.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:08 PM

Default About Farmington

Farmington has grown tremendously, sort of like Rio Rancho's growth. It has two extremes - really bad poverty and the well off rich. There is the blue collar workers who work the gas, oil and all the industry there as well. It is one of the few cities in the US that has more businesses then houses. There are businesses everywhere. Lots of stores. The good - shopping, in nice well to do areas it is great to live there, fairly inexpensive but homes are expensive to buy and there are so many newcomers that nobody cares if you move in too. The bad - crime can be high especially in bad areas, there is poverty that is really bad in areas and it is crowded with lots of traffic. Downtown can be dangerous with the drunks asking for money, such as when you go into a restaurant, homeless people will ask for money or try to sell you something, that kind of thing. I would try to stay away from downtown and live and work out in the North or East say near the San Juan Country Club Golf Course or out past 20th and around the Pinon Hills Golf Course near San Juan College. I'd pick around those areas if it was me and stay clear of West Farmington or South Farmington.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:16 AM

6 posts, read 56,790 times
Thanks for the answers.I have heard that Farmington was growing fast and there are new jobs coming in.Is there much need for secretary work,daycare,small shops or work at home jobs as I have social phobia pretty bad at the moment and can't be around to many people at a time?I stayed south of Broadway when I was there and didn't get up much in the north part.Do you know of any good apartments to stay at?I'm looking for mo-mo or 3 month lease.I have tried calling apts there and ads that were put in the paper but most are in the south area,want a years lease,and/or to expensive at the time.What is a good cell phone carrier?How is the college?Do they have health food stores that actually sale food and not just vitamins?Sorry for all the questions,I'm just trying to get informed as I can get because it looks like I'm going to be moving there sooner then I thought.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:25 AM

San Juan College is OK. It was a two year college when I lived up in that area years ago but I don't know now. Fort Lewis in Durango is the best 4 year college in the Four Corners. Health food stores are great in Durango, I don't know about Farmington. I have seen vitamin stores in Farmington but I don't know about health food stores like Durango has. Maybe a local there will answer you on that one. There are a lot of apartments up in the north. When you go there, Drive down 20th and 30th. Also drive down Butler. Get a map so you know where I am talking about. They are scattered all through out the area, off side streets and around. I just don't recommend you living down into Broadway and east or south especially being a single woman, it can be dangerous. Try to get up around the San Juan Country Club Golf Course. There are a lot of apartments around there and it is much safer. There are tons of jobs in Farmington. Everything you listed is there. You wont have trouble working there but please take my advice and be careful about not living in especially West Farmington out toward Shiprock but also South Farmington if you can possibly help it. Good Luck!

Last edited by Crackerjack; 06-24-2006 at 06:27 AM..

Old 07-11-2006, 04:22 PM

66 posts, read 489,222 times
well let me tellyou a little about farmington, we moved here nov 05 from minneapolis,mn for my wife's job and this town is complete garbage the mall sux the shops sux, etc. i could go on and on about how there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO IN THIS TOWN.

there is a substantial amount of crime reason lots of native's navajo with nothin better to do and lots of latino the exact same and plenty of white trash. you have the ultra rich living here and for god's honest truth have no idea why? and the wages are LOW unless your in the power plant or oilfields. the houseing is priced above normal for what the wage brings you.

so in other words your standard of living is less than average. It is HOT almost everyday and nothin but dirt and wind.

durango is nice but costs twice as much to live there.

hopefully in 3 years or less we are out of here.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:25 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,485 times
Have you considered a job with the Chamber of Commerce? I hear they pay well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico