Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 02:48 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
The World College is located outside Las Vegas in Montezuma. It has very little to do with Las Vegas and seems a world apart. You can get a nice view of it if you go for a soak at the Montezuma Hot Springs by the side of Highway 65.
the one closest to the road is hotter'n a 2-dollar pistol. the longest i ever managed to stay in it was 6 minutes..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 03:53 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the one closest to the road is hotter'n a 2-dollar pistol. the longest i ever managed to stay in it was 6 minutes..
I'm impressed! My big toe lasted about 6 seconds. I don't go for that lobster-cooking temperature. Fortunately some of the other pools there are a little easier to take.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I cannot say how strong the connection is between United World College and Las Vegas, NM, but I do recall some dude saying the highlands and UWC kids both hung out in the town coffee shops, so perhaps there is some back and forth among the students. However, the UWC kids are high school age, and they may or may not be inclined to mix. My impression is that most high school kids ignore anyone under 14 and over 20, they're in their own little cocoon.

I guess the question would be not whether LV is a world class destination like Santa Fe, but whether a person could find enough work and like-minded people to enjoy life there. I think if one was a fan of hispanic culture and small, isolated colleges, one could do worse. The foof factor is very low, and the climate, natural environment, and culture is N. New Mexico.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:01 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,249 times
Default Location or culture?

Seems Las Vegas would be a natural for growth with college, even if small one, beautiful natural environment and it is a historic city with many beautiful buildings Is it the predominate Hispanic culture? Santa Fe and other Northern NM towns were that way once. Maybe the distance to other cities in NM? Many post were negative about the city how did that happen to a place that seems to have so much to offer?

Old 11-07-2011, 12:11 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Perhaps the majority of Las Vegans don't want their town to grow much, let alone turn into another Santa Fe.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:30 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Seems Las Vegas would be a natural for growth with college, even if small one, beautiful natural environment and it is a historic city with many beautiful buildings Is it the predominate Hispanic culture? Santa Fe and other Northern NM towns were that way once. Maybe the distance to other cities in NM? Many post were negative about the city how did that happen to a place that seems to have so much to offer?
I think Las Vegas has a long history of crime dating from the frontier days. It is poor and has hispanic gangbanger, cholo types around. It is not really cutting edge like Santa Fe,etc. I found the people to be lovely, but I do think there are bad elements, and it is not the greatest culture for school achievement. That is where the negatives come from, and probably there is a lack of jobs too.

Like you, I like to find diamonds in the rough. However, sometimes things are slow to change, or there are structural problems that hold an area back. I do not know if Vegas is really waiting to bloom or would prefer to stay sleepy. Worth a visit to draw your own conclusions. I stayed a few days at the Plaza Hotel. Pretty cool.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:42 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,467,122 times
About 10 years ago I was offered a graduate assistant ship at NMHU (Biology).
I was enamored by the thought of moving to NM after growing up in somewaht bland WA State, and because I did not do so hot on the GRE, I applied at colleges which did not require GRE scores.

After a few conversations with one of the faculty I decided not to attend. She was basically warning me away-based mostly on the ethnic climate, so even though I was being offered the position, I decided to go to NMT in Socorro instead-which is another (mostly good) story altogether.

Las Vegas looks beautiful however. Would like to visit sometime.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:36 PM

35 posts, read 90,797 times
Default Las Vegas, NM - The Truth

Im new to this group and finally figured out how to post on here and i have read through lots of the posts on here. I was amazed on how Las Vegas N.M. was Thrashed so badly by some of the racist posters on here and then there at the last the truth started to come out by some of the natives and good posters. Ive spent most of my life living in N.M. and have traveled to most n.m. cities and even lived in lots of places in N.M. I love going to las vegas n.m. and meeting the people there most if not all are very friendly. I love going to the Flea Market there and talking to everybody and havent met a bad person there yet or any drunks or people wasted on drugs nothing like that in fact the people want to talk and offer their help and advice on anything. Also the people are not of Mexican decent far from it they are Spanish from Spain they are Europeans they are white and its hard to tell the difference between them and the supposedly Anglo people because they are Green Eyes and light colored hair. Also these people can act or get hostile if they are treated hostile by outsiders and you cant blame them because they are Spanish and live in Grant lands close by which today over half of their Grant lands have been stolen and they are leery of other Spanish people also who might lay claim to some of their Grant lands. Read up on the Maxwell Land Grants which has almost disappeared because of years of Bad Surveyors, Rich people who bought them out, Shady Lawyers, Government imposed taxes etc. so these people are trying to keep any more of their Lands stolen from them so they are leery of Strangers. I love going there and exploring the lands north of Las Vegas and all the Greenery and beautiful scenery and ive been invited to go on horseback rides up to Hermits peak where years ago a hermit lived up there in a cave and they say the view from up is really breath taking. Ive gone to School there and there is some crime at times but crime is everywhere but anyone living there should get along with the people and their neighbors and they will help you if your in trouble or watch your place. The key is get along with the people and they will get along with you. I heard about someone saying its an evil place and suggesting its full of witches etc. but the truth is the people there are very knowledgeable about plants and most know about all kinds of remedies for curing just like their ancestors and some know all these medicinal plants well. A little river called the Gallinas river runs through that bridge at the plaza and it eventually hooks up with the Pecos river near Dilia N.M. The only thing i dont like about Las Vegas N.M. is there isnt much for the kids to do and not many things of interest or any Business places locating there possibly because of all the Bad publicity this historical town gets by racist people that are trying to bring it down. The Plus part of Las Vegas is the Mountains and ski areas close by and the beautiful mountain scenery, the Castle, the Hot Springs, Storie Lake and various other lakes close by. But if you treat the people right and talk to them you will find that they can be the friendliest people of any place in N.M. I dont know about Junk cars and trashed up neighborhoods but i do know the people there like to fix up old cars and sometimes they might have an old car or two in their small yards and they are fanatics about classic cars and also the town has all kinds of Victorian historic houses all over town and some homes are very old going back into the 1800s probably owned by the Grandkids or great grandkids who dont want to tear them down. I had a few Girlfriends that live there and and never had a problem with anyone. So There you have it about Las Vegas N.M. one more thing there arent any Mass Murderers or All kinds of Rapists there either just small time crimes created by little kids who are on drugs possibly but it is a very safe town. And ive been going there and visiting and talking to the people there for over 40 years. Also i dont hang around with any of the Bad people there or go into any Bars so maybe i dont get in trouble by being cautious but that goes to say about any town in New Mexico. So feel free to go to Highlands or any of the Vocational Schools there. Also if you look for trouble there you will find it but be nice to the people and they will be nice to you. Tomahawk

Old 12-04-2011, 01:08 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,849 times
Well said Tomahawk742. It's nice to hear from the viewpoint of an actual local.
Quote:
the truth is the people there are very knowledgeable about plants and most know about all kinds of remedies for curing just like their ancestors and some know all these medicinal plants well.
This kind of knowledge is golden. I'm glad to know it is still in practice.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:30 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Hold on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk742 View Post
I’m new to this group and finally figured out how to post on here and i have read through lots of the posts on here. I was amazed on how Las Vegas N.M. was Thrashed so badly by some of the racist posters on here and then there at the last the truth started to come out by some of the natives and good posters. I’ve spent most of my life living in N.M. and have traveled to most NM cities and even lived in lots of places in N.M.

I love going to Las Vegas NM. and meeting the people there most if not all are very friendly. I love going to the Flea Market there and talking to everybody and haven’t met a bad person there yet or any drunks or people wasted on drugs nothing like that in fact the people want to talk and offer their help and advice on anything. Also the people are not of Mexican decent far from it they are Spanish from Spain they are Europeans they are white and it’s hard to tell the difference between them and the supposedly Anglo people because they are Green Eyes and light colored hair. Also these people can act or get hostile if they are treated hostile by outsiders and you can’t blame them because they are Spanish and live in Grant lands close by which today over half of their Grant lands have been stolen and they are leery of other Spanish people also who might lay claim to some of their Grant lands. Read up on the Maxwell Land Grants which has almost disappeared because of years of Bad Surveyors, Rich people who bought them out, Shady Lawyers, Government imposed taxes etc. so these people are trying to keep any more of their Lands stolen from them so they are leery of Strangers.

I love going there and exploring the lands north of Las Vegas and all the greenery and beautiful scenery and I’ve been invited to go on horseback rides up to Hermits peak where years ago a hermit lived up there in a cave and they say the view from up is really breath taking. I’ve gone to school there and there is some crime at times but crime is everywhere but anyone living there should get along with the people and their neighbors and they will help you if you’re in trouble or watch your place. The key is get along with the people and they will get along with you. I heard about someone saying it’s an evil place and suggesting it’s full of witches etc. but the truth is the people there are very knowledgeable about plants and most know about all kinds of remedies for curing just like their ancestors and some know all these medicinal plants well. A little river called the Gallinas river runs through that bridge at the plaza and it eventually hooks up with the Pecos river near Dilia, N.M.

The only thing I don’t like about Las Vegas N.M. is there isn’t much for the kids to do and not many things of interest or any Business places locating there possibly because of all the Bad publicity this historical town gets by racist people that are trying to bring it down. The plus part of Las Vegas is the Mountains and ski areas close by and the beautiful mountain scenery, the Castle, the Hot Springs, Storie Lake and various other lakes close by. But if you treat the people right and talk to them you will find that they can be the friendliest people of any place in N.M.

I don’t know about Junk cars and trashed up neighborhoods but i do know the people there like to fix up old cars and sometimes they might have an old car or two in their small yards and they are fanatics about classic cars and also the town has all kinds of Victorian historic houses all over town and some homes are very old going back into the 1800s probably owned by the Grandkids or great grandkids who don’t want to tear them down. I had a few girlfriends that live there and never had a problem with anyone.

So there you have it about Las Vegas N.M. one more thing there aren’t any Mass Murderers or All kinds of Rapists there either just small time crimes created by little kids who are on drugs possibly but it is a very safe town. And I’ve been going there and visiting and talking to the people there for over 40 years.

Also I don’t hang around with any of the bad people there or go into any bars so maybe I don’t get in trouble by being cautious but that goes to say about any town in New Mexico. So feel free to go to Highlands or any of the Vocational Schools there. Also if you look for trouble there you will find it but be nice to the people and they will be nice to you. Tomahawk.
OK much better. Not trying to be a nitpicker, just much easier to read. Thanks for your insight on LVNM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico