Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:15 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,497 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating to possibly settle in Rio Rancho/Alberquerque and commuting from there to Los Alamos. It's about 90 miles each way. I know I'm gonna get trolled and catch flak for asking this, but how well patrolled is 285 and I-25? Based on my research, I see that the speed limits for both are 75; however I'd have to be a little liberal with the speed limit to keep my commute time reasonable. How busy are these two highways during peak traffic hours? Do they freeze over often during the winter?

I'm probably going to end up moving to Santa Fe. Even though it seems like a cute little town from my vantage point on google; I'm also relatively young(30) and single, and the median age there seems awfully high(44). Consequently, I'd like to live in a area with more/younger people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
I wouldn't worry so much about getting pulled over on those stretches as getting stuck behind people doing 10 under the speed limit. During peak hours they tend to get pretty busy.

Freezing tends to be far more prevalent from La Bajada hill on upward, but still pretty uncommon. They salt and plow pretty diligently.

A little bit of math for socializing with people your own age- if you work 8 hours per day, and sleep 8 hours per day, you can mingle for 8-x-y hours per day, where x is commute time, and y is those other little essentials like eating, shopping, and resting. If X = 3, you'd have to be getting a significantly higher exposure to younger people (like 2X) at your chosen home to justify it. Can also bear in mind that you can commute to Albuquerque only on the days when you feel like a night on the town, rather than as a daily chore, if you live closer to LANL.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I'm contemplating to possibly settle in Rio Rancho/Alberquerque and commuting from there to Los Alamos. It's about 90 miles each way.
I have done it a few times over the years, even from the East coast, but I was paid very well...

My wife has done it a few times as a DoE employee, but it was part of her job at Kirtland.

We do live in Rio Rancho, there are some commuting buses, there even use to be a few pilots doing the commute. I don't know the situation now. It might be further discussed in the threads I pointed out below.

Quote:
I'm probably going to end up moving to Santa Fe. Even though it seems like a cute little town from my vantage point on google; I'm also relatively young(30) and single, and the median age there seems awfully high(44). Consequently, I'd like to live in a area with more/younger people.
What's the median age in Rio Rancho, where we live? We are in our 60's and retired...

You might read these threads:

Commuting from Santa Fe to Los Alamos
Relocating to Los Alamos area
What should I know about moving to Los Alamos?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-18-2013 at 06:26 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 PM

Thank you for your replies.

Median Age in ABQ and Rio Rancho is roughly 35, which is about normal. Based on the link below, there's ~12k people, out of a town of 64k, ages 20-34 in Santa Fe, which is roughly proportional and doesn't sound too bad.

Demographics - Santa Fe Chamber of Commerce

I'm gonna put ABQ on the backburner for now. My future boss thinks I'm nuts for even entertaining the thought of doing that commute, but my door to door right now is just under 75 minutes.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,305,542 times
I commuted from ABQ to Los Alamos for 6 months last year. I woke up at 3:50AM and got home at 7:15PM M-Th.

Sucked.

But I rode a commuter van with 8 NNSA folks, some who'd been doing it for 15 yrs+.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 PM

Were there any rules regarding alcohol on that van? I'd be starting up a little happy hour with my ride-mates on the way home every day, lol.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Although I am on the East coast my I spend about 12 hours per day working and commuting. I have been doing it for years and let me say it kills any social time except for weekends. I strongly recommend you live close to work (in Los Alamos if possible) and drive a bit to social activites.

I also drove a commuter van for a few years and the leasing organization prohibited alcoholic beverages of any kind.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:28 AM
N8!

Quote:
Were there any rules regarding alcohol on that van? I'd be starting up a little happy hour with my ride-mates on the way home every day, lol.
If you are going to be working on LANL property, you are in for a ride awakening.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 AM
N8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
If you are going to be working on LANL property, you are in for a rude awakening.
fixed

Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 PM

lol, you'll have to forgive me. I suppose regional humor doesn't translate well on over the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico