Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 26,711 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retiring in a few years, we are considering Sierra Vista, AZ, but when I read some of the posts in New Mexico it sort of get us excited too. Due to medical conditions, we are looking for a warm place to retire. (can not handle snow) Are there any military bases close by to warmer area of NM? Which part of NM would you recommend? Hot is okey with us, but what about during winter what is the average temperature? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 03:30 PM

710 posts, read 2,962,637 times
Sounds like Las Cruces, Alamogordo or El Paso, TX would be best. Alamo has an AF base, while El Paso has Ft. Bliss. Las Cruces is close to both, and probably the prettiest of the three. Ruidoso is nearby for Mountain excursions or to cool off on a hot summer day. Whatever you can't find in Alamo or LC you can find by taking the short drive to EP.

PS Las Cruces really is Beautiful!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:44 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
Bituin warned:

> ... can not handle snow ...

There is no place in New Mexico that does not see snow. Almost all places in New Mexico will see snow every single winter to some extent.

> ... we are considering Sierra Vista, AZ ...

It snows there also. As others have said - elevation is everything.

> Hot is okey with us, ...

Look into Phoenix, Tucson, and parts in between. It almost never snows there and the snow doesn't count since it *might* last an hour on the roads.

There is nothing wrong with the climate in these places. It's too hot for me, but I *like* snow and cold weather (like Towanda).

Old 11-15-2007, 09:23 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,918,551 times
Well Albuquerque gets a little snow, however, It usually melts with in a day or two. Most of the time the snow is less than an inch, but occasionally we get a really big one (every 7-8 years)

Old 11-16-2007, 03:41 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,606,458 times
Las Cruces and Alamogordo would be best....both get very little snow ...averaging 2 to 4 inches ...some years no measureable snow ...both are close to military bases ...Holloman AFB ....Ft Bliss....White Sands Missile Range.......nice warm to hot summers ....and relatively mild winters ...highs in the upper 50's to mid 60's on average ....but it can vary...Alamogordo hit 81 degrees on Tues ...today only 63 ....hot spots today in NM are Clayton at 73 warm degrees and Tucumcari at 74 degrees.......the ususally much warmer Las Cruces is overcast and struggling in the low 50's today ...

Old 11-19-2007, 01:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Look into Phoenix, Tucson, and parts in between.
PHX and Tucson both get snow from time to time, especially Tucson. Tucson got hit a few times last year, PHX had flurries and some pretty heavy snow in the outlying 'burbs.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:05 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times
Here's a map I made regarding average days of snow cover annually.

Data source is NOAA, averaged over a 30 year period.

I should add the cities and the regions are in a different coordinate system, therefore, Alamogordo is misplaced: the area around Alamogordo is dynamic when it comes to terrain, heading eastward. Alamogordo belongs in the yellow belt. I lived in La Luz for one winter, and it snowed there frequently in the canyons, by the time I drove to White Sands Boulevard, there was no snow at all. That drive was about 15 miles.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:02 PM

Steve-o claimed:

> PHX and Tucson both get snow from time to time, especially
> Tucson. Tucson got hit a few times last year, ....

Like GregW always says: "elevation elevation elevation"

That being said, I lived in Chandler from 2000 to 2007 and didn't see a friggin' flake. Not one. Zip. Zilch. Saying that Tucson "got hit" would lead someone not from there to think that the snow was something that would cause one's car to slip and slide. Maybe once in five years that will happen in Tucson and any snow in Phoenix isn't likely to accumulate in the streets.

That being said.2: Any time it rains in PHX/TUC the initial moisture will bring up oil on the road and cause much more slipperiness than people are used to 'back East."

> PHX had flurries and some pretty heavy snow in the outlying 'burbs.

Note that "outlying burbs" in Phoenix can mean homes almost 100 miles away - like Payson and Prescott which have climates much closer to Albuquerque than Phoenix.

Anyone who is worried about Phoenix snow should, in general, not be operating a motor vehicle in any circumstances.

mike0421: Awesome map! I' really surprised that the Mogollon rim is not more green on that map.

I would add that the precision is only good from the state-level view. I wouldn't lump Las Cruces in the same region as PHX-TUC.

I would also lump Flagstaff in with Los Alamos in terms of climate. It is generally colder in Flagstaff than in Helena, Montana. It's weird since it is about at the same elevation as Santa Fe.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Steve-o claimed:

> PHX and Tucson both get snow from time to time, especially
> Tucson. Tucson got hit a few times last year, ....

Like GregW always says: "elevation elevation elevation"

That being said, I lived in Chandler from 2000 to 2007 and didn't see a friggin' flake. Not one. Zip. Zilch. Saying that Tucson "got hit" would lead someone not from there to think that the snow was something that would cause one's car to slip and slide. Maybe once in five years that will happen in Tucson and any snow in Phoenix isn't likely to accumulate in the streets.

That being said.2: Any time it rains in PHX/TUC the initial moisture will bring up oil on the road and cause much more slipperiness than people are used to 'back East."

> PHX had flurries and some pretty heavy snow in the outlying 'burbs.

Note that "outlying burbs" in Phoenix can mean homes almost 100 miles away - like Payson and Prescott which have climates much closer to Albuquerque than Phoenix.

Anyone who is worried about Phoenix snow should, in general, not be operating a motor vehicle in any circumstances.

mike0421: Awesome map! I' really surprised that the Mogollon rim is not more green on that map.

I would add that the precision is only good from the state-level view. I wouldn't lump Las Cruces in the same region as PHX-TUC.

I would also lump Flagstaff in with Los Alamos in terms of climate. It is generally colder in Flagstaff than in Helena, Montana. It's weird since it is about at the same elevation as Santa Fe.
HUH? I have family in north Scottsdale, friends in Chandler and Carefree, all of which have seen snow accumulate, especially last year. Tucson got hit with several inches. I was there 2 years ago (north Scottsdale) and there were flurries! Sure its not a daily occurance, but to think Phoenix and its burbs dont get snow is silly.
Scottsdale:
http://desertdwellers.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/scottsdale.jpg (broken link)

Tucson:

Tucson:

Carefree:

North Scottsdale:

Old 11-21-2007, 06:11 AM

Steve-o claimed:

> Tucson got hit with several inches. ... there were flurries! Sure its not a
> daily occurance, but to think Phoenix and its burbs dont get snow is silly.

You are picking at nits.

Several inches? Several is around seven. Seven inches in Tucson? *Maybe* in the foothills above 3,000 ft. A few inches, sure. I don't think it could have lasted more than an hour and even if there were a few inches, on your car, it sure wasn't that much in the street.

Phoenix has never had a snowfall that impacted driving for any length of time. That is what the original poster is concerned about. Seeing flakes and having stuff like plants and automobiles get a bit of a coating is not the same thing as "real" snow like you can see in Flagstaff.

For all practical purposes Phoenix and burbs under 2000 ft *never* see snow. Again, that's for _all_practical_purposes_. Tucson is almost the same, except that *sometimes* you might have to stay in your house for a couple of hours more if you need to go somewhere and are afraid of driving in an inch or two that may or may not have accumulated on the road. Most years, it won't happen.

Snow in Albuquerque or Denver will make vehicle travel difficult at least once a year or more. It might have happened once in Phoenix before I was born and may have happened in Tucson in the last ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico