Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Mexicans: Would you vote in favor of legalizing recreational marijuana in NM?
Yes 53 60.23%
No 35 39.77%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 07:05 PM

212 posts, read 689,633 times

Advertisements

I'd vote to legalize it today if I could. Why should it remain illegal here when NM obviously deems it suitable enough to use for medicinal purposes, and alcohol is still 100% legal (for 21+)? Many who want to consume MJ already do, so we may as well legalize it and get as much tax dollars from it as we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 10:48 PM

502 posts, read 1,381,802 times
Sorry but marijuana makes you dumb!
Just two cases I can recall from my days as an LEO.
A registered nurse that reported a city employee had stolen her bong and "stash". Only to later call and report that she was mistaken and had forgotten where she put it.
Second being the lady that invited me into her house on a call. Every flat surface in the house had a pot with marijuana growing in it. 500+ plants.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:46 AM

707 posts, read 752,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
A registered nurse that reported a city employee had stolen her bong and "stash". Only to later call and report that she was mistaken and had forgotten where she put it.
Second being the lady that invited me into her house on a call. Every flat surface in the house had a pot with marijuana growing in it. 500+ plants.
Sounds like they were dumb long before they ever even heard of marijuana.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:52 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,286,433 times
With pot at least you usually have to go to people's houses before you see their dumb. Go to any bar on a friday night and you'll see a whole lot more stupid that is much more likely to involve violence and it's on public display.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,408,398 times
Quote:
Right, and giraffes have long necks so they can reach the leaves at the tops of trees.

You are good at sciencing stuff.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:37 PM

30 posts, read 73,528 times
I vote YES, But........without regulations that harm those that really need help.
Once the taxes and regulations implemented are Only concerned with Tax monies, then the price point is lost!
Just look up what the actual price point is for the Cartels to make a profit. With legalization that includes education funds we can get out of the War on Drugs. A war that will never be won, and sucks monies that could be better utilized.

Now......I am looking at this from somewhat of a different angle seeing that I have worked for, consulted, directed, and founded, AOD, Alcohol and Other Drug Treatment Centers.
"Treatment Doesn't Work"! Yeah, something many do not understand is that there are far more people in Recovery, or have made choices in their lives to Not use a particular substance, but Never went to a treatment center. Also, it is life changes AFTER treatment that will assure a happier/healthier life.

I have many clients that have switched from very addictive opioids to Marijuana compounds/extracts etc.
One thing many do not understand is that there are proven withdrawal symptoms with Marijuana. Sure, they are not as worrisome as other drugs/alcohol, but they are real.
Anything can be abused!

Look up CBD, CBN, and other Cannabinoids.

Also, I really get a kick out of how many say something should be legalized, yet when asked if they vote they say "no". I often tell them that if they don't vote then they really cannot enter into a real discussion.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:54 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,524,843 times
And, Bar-L, you would say that marijuana addiction is psychological and not physical, right? Just asking your opinion. Because I do believe that those who are heavily addicted to opioids could be switched to marijuana compounds/extracts. I do think that there are many things marijuana could be used for in a positive manner to help people.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:32 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,725,393 times
One of very few left from 1970s US govt Compassionate Use Program (Irvin Rosenfeld) gets 300 joints a month from govt. He had his lungs tested a few years ago & found they were at 103% of normal capacity. He is over 60 & a stock broker.

Cannabis does *not* cause emphysema, it is a lung expectorant, so it can be coughed out soon, whereas with tobacco, the poison nicotine paralyzes the cilia (lung cleaner) so most users cough only after many hours of non-use, like when waking up.

Use in baked goods has the problem of not knowing if the correct dose was taken, as the effect may be delayed up to 1 hour. Overdose can cause panic.

I've read about 15,000-20,000 pages about cannabis over the last 11 years. I know doctors don't have that much free time, but as a permanently disabled person who corp-run govt wants dead, I do.

Smoking it has proven medical benefits. 26% of those who say they use it medicinally say they are using it to treat depression. Suicide rates are going way up, as anti-depressants & other psychiatric drugs were based on a theory not fact for 50+ years. Pill cos. now admit this. Cannabis was first recommended for treating depression in 1700s. US Dispensatory of 1851 recommended it for all mental health issues-nearly every doctor knew! Cannabis oil can cure many cancers & other fatal illnesses, but govt has been making effective cancer cures illegal at least since 1930s.

Cannabis oil kills defective cells & replaces them with healthy new ones. Cannabis has been used since Genesis by over 1 billion with no proven deaths as a direct result of use. The pill cos. sold products like cannabis oil & tincture of cannabis in pharmacies about a century, as late as 1937. 249 medical uses have been proven so far. A certified nurse says it may be near 600 uses proven eventually.

Moderator cut: This forum is not to be used for political arguments, advertisements or campaigning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I agree, GregW, as a Respiratory Therapist I cannot support anyone taking the drug in through smoking it. I can consider it's effectiveness in battling cancer and as a relaxant as opposed to alcohol use. I would advise using it in baked goods, for instance. Pretty common stand I take - I just know that data supports marijuana smoke as being very, very harmful to the lungs. Once the lungs are damaged they can try to come back to full usefulness but it just doesn't happen.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-14-2015 at 06:17 PM..

Old 03-14-2015, 05:55 PM

It's hard for me to use it at $400/oz when my daily income is $25. And that $400/oz is just for smoking it. The maximum benefits are from cannabis oil, which is over $2,500/oz. If legalized, the tax must be reasonable to take business away from the illegal dealers. Please vote for former NM Governor Gary Johnson for 2016 Libertarian Party Presidential candidate. He's been saying legalize since 1999.
Libertarians are for the 100% equally, no hate allowed. Best wishes, all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallit View Post
I'd vote to legalize it today if I could. Why should it remain illegal here when NM obviously deems it suitable enough to use for medicinal purposes, and alcohol is still 100% legal (for 21+)? Many who want to consume MJ already do, so we may as well legalize it and get as much tax dollars from it as we can.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:31 PM

I call it cannabis, not the foreign slang name "marijuana", popularized by people in the 1930s who were proud to be openly racist. Is that what you want for your image?? The medicinal name cannabis was around a long time. Products like cannabis oil were in pharmacies for about 100 years. They were made by pill cos. still in business today. Calling it cannabis is like admitting it has long-proven medical value
So those who lie or don't know anything call it marijuana. Is that more of the image you want?

Cannabis has been long proven to kill defective cells, & replace them with healthy new cells. It would be really hard to argue it makes people dumb, without explaining the scientific reason. It's not a poison, unlike tobacco (nicotine), alcohol, or most pills. So how can a non-toxin be toxic? There's 40 million+ in this country that use cannabis, so 2 people are not enough to prove what most of them are like.

It is very likely that more than 2 non-users have done something dumb. What conclusion should we draw from that???

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico