Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:13 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,846 times

Advertisements

I noticed that we are talking about foods made in our state.
So lets list them please...

High Mesa Chile Salsa - La Luz, NM This is so good....its the one I buy..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 06:52 PM

502 posts, read 1,380,453 times
Not sure that ya can get them anywhere else but the tortillas (flour and corn) that are made at the Lowes grocery store in Alamogordo are GREAT.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:01 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,029,479 times
Alas, I cannot get many NM products in Kansas.

I do get some canned Hatch green chiles, which we all know are nothing like the real thing, but they are my substitiute until I can get there.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:10 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Alas, I cannot get many NM products in Kansas.

I do get some canned Hatch green chiles, which we all know are nothing like the real thing, but they are my substitiute until I can get there.
Towanda, a friend introduced me to Pedroe's corn chips from Plains Ks, and I get them when I go through.. He grows the corn and then makes the chips. I like to support the local farmers.
Jane

Old 12-02-2007, 09:17 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
Not sure that ya can get them anywhere else but the tortillas (flour and corn) that are made at the Lowes grocery store in Alamogordo are GREAT.
Yes, they are!!

Also.....La Hacienda restaurant on White Sands has fresh corn tortillas, too. They--as well as the ones from Lowe's...are lifesavers.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:44 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,911 times
Anything made by Hatch

Old 12-02-2007, 11:56 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
Towanda moaned:

> I do get some canned Hatch green chiles, which we all know are
> nothing like the real thing, ...

Why-oh-why do the canned chiles come only in [Mild] and canned jalapenos only come in [Medium] heat?

Towanda, go to
Manufacturer of Authentic, Gourmet Quality, New Mexican, Southwestern and Mexican Food Products for Restaurant, Grocery and Mail Order Customers (http://www.giftbasketsjust4u.com/pubs-us-bin/giftbasketsjustforyou/GBJstore.cgi?user_action=list&category=Frozen%20Ch ile - broken link)

(this is from the Bueno Foods site) where you can order the [Hot] frozen stuff)

There is also: Order Frozen Chile
.................. Welcome to Chile Traditions
.................. Tour the Factory - Albuquerque Tortilla Company (http://www.albuquerque-tortilla.com/tour.html - broken link)

As for the canned stuff: Stop doing that!

Old 12-02-2007, 01:29 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,917 times
As I've posted before (but can't say it enough), HEB Stores throughout Texas sell the frozen Bueno red and green chile. That's as good as it gets in Houston. With those two ingredients the sky is the limit.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:23 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,029,479 times
I have looked everywhere here in the Kansas City area, and cannot find Bueno Products.

And I just cannot afford to spend $50 in shipping costs to have frozen green chile sent to me here.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:50 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
Towanda mourned:

> ... here in the Kansas City area, ... cannot find ...

> And I just cannot afford to spend $50 in shipping costs ...

That *has* climbed a bit. It used to cost about $50 total to have the six tubs shipped - including the price of the chile.

The cost of shipping is for one order. I would assume that you can get three orders shipped for the same price - or close to it.

You might also work a deal with a local specialty grocer to try out this product if they will share the cost of the shipping.

$77.99 works out to $13 per 13-oz container. That's steep, but I'd pay it if I was 'out there' in your world. I wouldn't use it as liberally as I do here, but I'd always have some around. I'd pack lunches and eat in as much as it took to afford that.

If you can get three orders shipped for $50, 18 containers would work out to $7.11 per container.

*ALSO* it is winter time, so you might arrange a second-day shipment. They come in a nice polystyrene box that is a high quality container. If they packed them in tight, there is no way they would melt sitting around at ambient temperatures. Even at room temperature, the chile would last quite a while in those sealed tubs.

Call them up and axe them. See what they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico