Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 03:49 AM

16 posts, read 49,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
I passed by that building a couple of weeks ago when I was trough LV. I will have to investigate a little more when I get back that way.
Does anyone know about the old brick plant out near the old coal mine (ghost town) of Hagan?
_yb: Could you figure your time and trouble and send me 3 ancho bricks. Email me a snail mail address for the check, and the amount and I will send it to you. USPS please. Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 09:39 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,290,269 times
Yes, I can do that for you. I will email you in a bit.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:42 AM

Thanks, will wait. Chris

Old 01-03-2008, 07:10 AM

43 posts, read 171,551 times
Oh be still my heart! I discovered you brick collectors this past spring. I'm a dual citizen of New Mexico and Scotland and did an exchange w/ one of your brick guys in Tulsa. We swapped a Scotland Stein for a Missouri Green!

I collect a brick-a-day over here in Scotland in the river and am lining my garden with them. Got into the history of 19th century brickworks over here, because of it, got some copies of your newsletter, etc. Brick collectors rule!

Old 01-04-2008, 04:01 AM

Wow, what a post. Seems like I was at the Tulsa swap. Did it start with a barbed wire auction? Small world if it is the same one............How are things. Dual citizenship. What a concept. That is a first for me.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Have you guys ever heard of or collected bricks or blocks made of pumice?

I am fascinated by the possibilities of building with natural insulating glass block

Old 01-04-2008, 08:26 AM

I'll leave the pumice question to the others...back to Chris, no, this was a one-on-one swap w/ one of your members who lives in Tulsa, Clem!

A barbed wire auction? Now what was that? That intrigues me! (I just wrote an article about barbed wire and antique bricks, is why!)

Yes, one can technically have dual citizenship. Strange but true!

I need to officially join the IBCA, I'll do that very soon.

I think Clem also gave us an Albuquerque brick that day if my memory serves. And a "Don't Spit on the Sidewalk"

Last edited by MMAllen; 01-04-2008 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-04-2008, 06:28 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,290,269 times
They have a neat barbedwire collection at a small town museum here in NM. Here is a photo:

Old 01-05-2008, 03:34 AM

http://www.tlgwindpower.com/tweety/images/bricks/Kansas_Kentucky/KS-DontSpitONTheSdwkltrsSameSiz.jpg (broken link)Barbed wire collections, especially the one shown here are fascinating. To view basically the entire history of one item is very thorough. Clem as you stated, is a past president of the IBCA and has several structures on his property devoted to brick collecting, plus he has a "traders" pile that one can sift through to find a "special" addition to their collection. The "Don't spit on the sidewalk" you mentioned was actually an combined effort by the Capital City Vitrified Brick and Paving Company a Dr. Crumbine of Coffeyville. The Company did not really want to stamp the bricks as Dr. Crumbine suggested, but agreed to stamp every fourth brick with the slogan in order to get the doctor to leave them alone. Other brick makers in the state apparently picked up the slogan, including the Coffeyville Vitrified Brick and Tile Company. The slogan was "Don't spit on the sidewalk". I don't remember the disease that this was ment to help limit, sorry. Picture of brick by Rose Brick Yard . This site has one of the best online collections on the web. Stopby sometime and check it out. Chris

Last edited by brickcollector; 01-05-2008 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: insert picture, picture credits

Old 01-06-2008, 05:26 AM

How cool! A barbed wire exhibit! I love that. I didn't realize there were so many styles. I've been intrigued by old barbed wire for a long time...say, which town in NM has that exhibit, do you know?

Chris, that's the brick! It was TB, the disease, I'm told. Yes, Clem is a hoot, we had such a great tour of his brick museum, unbelievable. And we brought him a Scottish one to add...what we did was trade a Green for a Stein, as those two brick guys were friends (this was back during 1910-27, they visited each other) and traded firing secrets across the pond. Stein even shipped Scottish clay to Green to experiment on techniques. So I thought it would be a good idea to have a historical brick swap. Clem's collection really blew me away. We took some photaes of him w/ his collection, I have to get those from my husband's computer. I hope to send you guys an article for the newsletter soon.

It is so much fun getting into the history of it all. I've attended some brick history lectures over here too. I had to buy a pair of wellies so I could go tromping into the river to pull these bricks out. Here's a story about it and some photaes of the 19th century ones I find in the River Carron:

A Bear Named Hope: February 2007

Now that I finished lining my back garden, I've started lining the one in front; I'm sure the neighbours think I'm that weird brick lady from America!

Last edited by MMAllen; 01-06-2008 at 05:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico