Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 05:13 AM

16 posts, read 49,143 times

Advertisements

Hello, My name is Chris and I am the Historical Archivist for the International Brick Collectors Association. I am doing an archive for our Brick Collectors Journal on the subject of the Las Vegas, New Mexico Brick Company and was wondering if any members of the forum might have any information about the company or maybe a picture of the brick . A past employee, or relative that would like to keep the company information alive in the minds of BrickCollectors would be great to hear from.
When I do archives on the various companies, I like to include a accurate picture of the brick so collectors can better identify the brick with the company. Any information would be appreciated, and would be used with the donating party receiving mention in the article and a copy of the Journal that utilizes their donated information. Thank You for your attention to this matter, and as always, Happy Bricking, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Brick_Collecting/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brickcollectors_1/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Brick_Collectors_2/
I have included the hyperlinks to all the brick colleting sites for your inspection. This is where all the information goes that I collect. Chris, IBCA #1141 tinman_2_54@yahoo.com

Sincerely,
[SIZE=3]Chris [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 06:13 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
I have a bunch of ancho bricks.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:42 AM

_yb: I am not familiar with the ancho brick. What do you know of it? Is it from the Las Vegas, NM area? What color is it? Can you send me a picture of it? Chris

Old 12-14-2007, 06:06 PM
_yb

The bricks were named after the town Ancho. It's a ghost town now. They found fire clay in the area and built a brick making plant. Sent numerous trainloads of brick to San Fransico to help rebuiled after a quake in 1906. The town pretty much shut down when US hwy 54 was located 2 miles to the west.
I will get some photos when I get down to my land. I bought a couple of pallets of the brick several year ago. I have a few different types.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:59 PM

Default ancho bricks

Can you email me when you get the pictures. I would like to see them. Most of my work is in the midwest, Oklahoma area. Anything is interesting. I copied your reply and may use it in a archive. If I do, I will get back with you and send you a copy of the journal that it is used in. chris, tinman_2_54@yahoo.com

Old 12-17-2007, 11:46 PM

203 posts, read 714,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickcollector View Post
Hello, My name is Chris and I am the Historical Archivist for the International Brick Collectors Association. I am doing an archive for our Brick Collectors Journal on the subject of the Las Vegas, New Mexico Brick Company and was wondering if any members of the forum might have any information about the company or maybe a picture of the brick . A past employee, or relative that would like to keep the company information alive in the minds of BrickCollectors would be great to hear from.
When I do archives on the various companies, I like to include a accurate picture of the brick so collectors can better identify the brick with the company. Any information would be appreciated, and would be used with the donating party receiving mention in the article and a copy of the Journal that utilizes their donated information. Thank You for your attention to this matter, and as always, Happy Bricking, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Brick_Collecting/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brickcollectors_1/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Brick_Collectors_2/
I have included the hyperlinks to all the brick colleting sites for your inspection. This is where all the information goes that I collect. Chris, IBCA #1141 tinman_2_54@yahoo.com

Sincerely,
[SIZE=3]Chris [/SIZE]
A significant historic structure built with LV Brick Co. materials recently collapsed here in Las Vegas. May be able to help.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:23 AM

Is there anyway you could check it out. I live in Owasso, Oklahoma and would certainly appreciate it. Chris

Old 12-19-2007, 08:59 PM

203 posts, read 714,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickcollector View Post
Is there anyway you could check it out. I live in Owasso, Oklahoma and would certainly appreciate it. Chris
Will see what I can do. Will post tomorrow evening.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:36 PM
_yb

I passed by that building a couple of weeks ago when I was trough LV. I will have to investigate a little more when I get back that way.
Does anyone know about the old brick plant out near the old coal mine (ghost town) of Hagan?

Old 12-26-2007, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 51,871 times
The brick company in Ancho, NM made mostly red fire brick. Some yellow fire brick. Those 2 I am familiar with. I don't have any of the bricks here. Several houses in the area are made of the Ancho bricks. The fireplace in the house I grew up in was made of yellow Ancho brick.

I will see if I can get west across the mountain and get you some photos of the town and the remains of the brick plant. I will also look in the local history books and find you some articles on the town of Ancho and maybe the brick plant. These books are stored in my bunkhouse and it is cold outdoors. Procrastination??? Yep!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico