Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:45 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAllen View Post
How cool! A barbed wire exhibit! I love that. I didn't realize there were so many styles. I've been intrigued by old barbed wire for a long time...say, which town in NM has that exhibit, do you know?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 06:14 AM

43 posts, read 171,503 times
Thanks! Great photae!

Old 01-12-2008, 02:34 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
Here is an Ancho No.1 brick. The ones I like the best.

Here is the Ancho special:

I know I have a few that are labled just ANCHO but I cannot seem to find them.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:16 PM

16 posts, read 49,143 times
Smile Ancho Bricks Archival Post

Ancho, NM.
The railroad and gold were often the beginnings of these towns. 1899 was Ancho's year of birth due to the railroad arrival and gold in the Jicarilla Mountains. These and several other business resulted in a train depot being built. The coming of the railroad and the discovery of gypsum in 1901 led to the beginning of Ancho.
In 1905, the Bosque's of Iowa came to Ancho, found fire clay and established a brick plant. The bricks were named after the town. After the 1906 earthquake and fire in San Francisco, bricks were shipped by rail from Ancho to help with rebuilding the city. But Ancho developed another
product. The Ancho Brick plant made a cream-colored brick that was used on homes throughout central New Mexico. After the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire, trainloads of Ancho bricks traveled almost 1,500 miles to the city by the bay to help in its reconstruction. After the 1906 earthquake and fire in San Francisco, plaster and brick were shipped by rail from Ancho to help with rebuilding the city.
In 1917, the brick plant was sold to Phelps Dodge Corporation of Arizona and a sixteen-kiln plant was built at a cost of $150,000. This proved to be unprofitable as the plant went bankrupt in 1921 and has remained closed since that date.
Throughout the years, the railroad and the ranching industry continued to provide an income for the community. In the depression, the population increased by families mining for gold in the Jicarilla Mountains, but with the coming of World War II, they moved to the cities where jobs were
plentiful.
In 1954, paving of U. S. 54 was completed between Carrizozo and Corona, bypassing Ancho. In 1958 the railroad depot was discontinued and the building put up for bid. Mrs. Lucy Straley Silvers, better known as "Jackie," purchased the depot and moved it onto property she owned. In
1963, she opened a museum, "My House of Old Things." The museum, housed in the depot building, is a nostalgic trip through the past for the older generation, and an education for the younger generation.
The town pretty much shut down when US hwy 54 was located 2 miles to the west.
These business closed too and Ancho's population diminished considerably. Some of the old bricks can be seen at the private museum "My House of Old Things." The school closed in 1955, the train in 1959, and the post office in 1969. There are a few homes and ranches left as the world passes
Ancho by.

It's a ghost town now.

Sources:
A self-driving tour of White Oaks, NM.
Ancho - New Mexico Ghost Town
Nogal, Ancho, and Corona - content in peaceful existence:Southern New Mexico Travel and Tourism Information
_Yb of the city data.com website.
Investigation of Ancho (http://www.sgha.net/ancho.html - broken link)
Cactuspatchlamb, https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...ml#post2337456
https://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...eply&p=2256288

Old 09-16-2008, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,631 times
Default best7697

Hay All,
I'm new at this Brick collecting stuff so I could use some help. I have some of the 'ANCHO' #1 yellow fire bricks . Where do I look to see
what they are worth , And where do I sell them. The bricks came from
the Perice Az common wealth mine. The mine was a silver mine , the brick
came from the processing furnace. they are in good shape.
thanks
Lou

Old 09-17-2008, 05:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Wouldn't a coin collection be easier to move around?

Old 09-17-2008, 04:21 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It is easier than my rock collection After reading this thread I am now picking up lone discarded bricks hoping to find some with markings. What have you started!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:57 PM

775 posts, read 2,587,352 times
Default Brick Collecting

Over the last 40 or so years ive collected all kinds of Stuff like old bottles, Artifacts, Arrowheads and dinosaur bones and Rocks of all kinds that ive found throughout N.M. I have several Tons of all kinds of Rocks and i do find a Brick now and then and have about a dozen or more different kinds of bricks quite a few Coffeyville that is the best brick i would think it stays well preserved and even some Ancho Bricks. One Place no one mentions about is the Montezuma area north of Las Vegas N.M. near the Castle didnt the Monks there make Brick and what was that brick called? pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 09-19-2008, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best7697 View Post
Hay All,
I'm new at this Brick collecting stuff so I could use some help. I have some of the 'ANCHO' #1 yellow fire bricks . Where do I look to see
what they are worth , And where do I sell them. The bricks came from
the Perice Az common wealth mine. The mine was a silver mine , the brick
came from the processing furnace. they are in good shape.
thanks
Lou
Best7697: Please email me at tinman_2_54@yahoo.com . I am interested in obtaining some of your ancho brick product. I prefer to discuss the following matters out of the forums as some of the moderators of these forums frown on finiacial matters being discussed here. Thanks

Old 09-19-2008, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Gregw: Yes, a coin collection would be easier to move around, but you need to know that just many many small towns, as the populations grew, needed to get away from a combustable material for their structures (wood) to something non-combustable (rock or stone). This is what prompted the conversion to brick. Easier to handle than stone, uniform shape, therefore easier to place than stone, and with the avalibity of clay and water, plus other materials like sand, which could be obtained from sandstone if all else failed, this lead to the rise of brick.
So, to sum it all up. Instead of 3-4 mints for the making of coin, some towns like
Kearney, Nebraska had 3-4 brick companies. Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico