Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Mexicans: Would you vote in favor of legalizing recreational marijuana in NM?
Yes 53 60.23%
No 35 39.77%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 02:37 AM

642 posts, read 1,114,491 times

Advertisements

It looks like New Mexico could be one of the next states to join Colorado and Washington to legalize, tax, and regulate recreational marijuana:

Quote:
A day after Colorado opened its doors to the legalized sale of recreational marijuana, a state senator said New Mexico should consider following suit.

Sen. Gerald Ortiz y Pino, an Albuquerque Democrat, said he will introduce a constitutional amendment proposal to legalize recreational marijuana when the Legislature convenes this month.

Legislator wants NM to legalize marijuana | ABQJournal Online
In addition to legalizing marijuana, it could also open the doors for the growth of industrial hemp, which has a multitude of uses and would help to boost the local economy.

If this proposal manages to get through the house and senate this year and put to a vote in November, would you vote for or against it? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 03:27 AM

I voted "yes" but I don't think it should be legalized under the guise of it being a "harmless" substance. It does alter one's state of being and has potential for abuse, dependency, and other adverse effects, especially for young people. People should have realistic expectations of the consequences and have access to accurate information regarding the plant.

I know a lot of people are concerned that it may be "sending a message" to young people, but I don't think that regulating the market and taking away the criminal aspect of mj consumption/distribution should mean the state is condoning its use. It's perfectly legal to do a lot of potentially harmful things, but that doesn't mean the government is saying it's okay to do them - that's what parenting and personal discretion are for.

I'd also like to see the money currently going the black market redirected to the state in the form of tax revenue and legitimate business operations. Now that Colorado has been raking in cash from their sales, other states are eyeing them closely, likely wondering how much they are missing out by not getting in on some of the action.

These are just a couple reasons why I think we should consider legalizing and regulating recreational marijuana, and while I know it's probably a long shot at this point, I'm glad we have a representative that's at least willing to put this idea on the table.

Last edited by abqpsychlist; 01-04-2014 at 03:50 AM..

Old 01-04-2014, 07:08 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,281,390 times
I vote yes. It should be treated the same as booze.

I am a medical program participant and was a recreational consumer in my 20's. Getting it from a legitimate source is HUGE. I stopped using once I had college behind me (it took me longer than the average bear and pot may have influenced that :0 ) in large part due the fear of getting in some sort of trouble. Either from contact with sketchy dealers or getting pulled over on the way home with it in car. Very unpleasant. Going to the store, looking at the various options and driving back home free of concern does nothing to harsh my mellow. To say nothing of the fact that none of my money goes to the cartels.

There should be more rational education about the problems it can cause if abused similar to what we've done with alcohol. It isn't harmless though I think the harm is more likely to affect the user than the rest society.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:39 AM

89 posts, read 270,609 times
What? We are not mellow enough in New Mexico?

Old 01-04-2014, 08:50 AM

471 posts, read 977,962 times
While I have no interest at all in marijuana use for myself, the slight Libertarian twinge in me thinks legalization would be a good thing, especially if some of the same restrictions that there are now on alcohol and cigs are put in place. And yes, the State can raise money from it to put to good use elsewhere in NM. A pot tax would not be a drain on the impoverished like most taxes are, but an informed user tax that could be spent for other things here in NM.

And I don't think that there will be a rush of thousands to beat on the doors of the pot shops in desperation to get high. There is also a good chance that street crime related to pot will be lower, especially if the legal cost is less than that on the corner. Just make sure that the dangers of misuse are strongly explained to youth and others, just like it is or should be for booze and other vices. People will still and should be able to make their own decisions on what to do, but an informed decision is always better than just lighting up in the dark..

Old 01-04-2014, 09:35 AM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,099,246 times
I vote yes, though I don't think one should be allowed to smoke in in public places where people can smell it. Perhaps only in private clubs specifically opened for its consumption as well as at home. I knew a girl in the dorms who was allergic to marijuana and had to go to the hospital because someone in the dorms had been smoking pot. I don't know how common that is, but marijuana does tend to be pungent. These are concerns that municipalities and paces are already addressing, so I'm sure it won't be a big deal. Other than that, legalize it and tax it.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:43 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,426,699 times
It is much less dangerous than alcohol and should be legal with restrictions like alcohol.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:41 PM

9-9 tie so far!

The commentary so far has pretty much been one-sided so far, in favor of legalization, so I'd be interested to hear why people would be opposed to it.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:40 AM

10,755 posts, read 23,844,646 times
Definitely a yes. Considering our education system in the state could use a big boost, I think the tax revenue from recreational sales should model that of Colorado. Spending state tax money to arrest, incarcerate, and tie up the court system with illegal marijuana is a tremendous and astronomical waste of money.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:22 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,073,434 times
I don't live in NM, but have lived in CO and MT. [currently in CA]. I think states with smaller populations and libertarian bent [even CO still has twinges of this vibe], are good candidates for legal recreational MJ. I know CA has large rural counties, but unfortunately, it's all the same state, and I don't think large population states with densely populated areas are great candidates for this. I know Denver metro/front range is congested, but CO as a whole is a large state geographically with a smaller population. My two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico