Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 09:29 AM

55 posts, read 105,052 times

Advertisements

Love the weather

Don't love the goat heads.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:22 AM

14 posts, read 24,432 times
I've lived in ABQ for 6 years - and can't wait to leave. There are pros - for those who love the high desert (and I'm one), New Mexico is one of the staggeringly beautiful places in the world.

But then there are the people. While New Mexicans are superficially friendly - the check out person will talk to you at the Grocery, for example - connecting with people in ABQ is next to impossible. It is possible to be in ostensibly social groups in ABQ for years and never get to personal questions like, "What do you do?" "Have kids?" "Where do you live?" There is an air of paranoia among New Mexicans like nothing I've experienced - and I've lived on both coasts, and in Colorado. The city is incredibly cliquish. If you don't mind hanging out silently for a year so that the members of an ABQ clique can decide if you're worthy for a few words, great. If you actually want to have a substantive conversation with ANYONE this is not your city.

Then there's the work ethic. There is none. Work is a four letter word here - something New Mexicans avoid at all costs. The level of laziness here really beggars the imagination. Service people are doing you a major favor doing their jobs.

The pace? Be prepared to wait. I'm talking waiting 5 minutes to order a pizza with 2 people ahead of you. Be prepared to wait 20 minutes to check out of the pharmacy if there are 4 ahead of you. Why would anyone want to go anywhere.

Intelligence? New Mexicans are the dumbest people I've ever experienced - it's really beyond belief until you're here.

Driving? On a good day, maybe, you can hit the speed limit. New Mexicans consistently drive 10 miles BELOW the speed limit. After all, why would New Mexicans want to get anywhere? They might have to work?

Single? Expect on remaining so. There are lots of beautiful women in ABQ. Then they turn twenty two. Stay in shape? Work out? That would be like, well, working. We couldn't have that. A slender, attractive woman was visiting me here - and was hearing comments in loud stage whispers from the morbidly obese women who make up most of the over 22 population. "You can't trust the skinny ones." Things like that.

So if you're thinking of moving to ABQ, I'd suggest thinking hard about it. If you have an extensive social network - or don't need one. Have no desire to get served in a restaurant in under half an hour. And never need to get anywhere, you might like. If not, I'd definitely look at other options.

People who move to ABQ fall into two groups. Those who become New Mexicans - lose all motivation, and do nothing but complain. Then there are those who leave. I'll be in Colorado, hopefully, by the end of the year. It'll be like being back in the US after 6 years in the 3rd world.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:37 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
I'll bite, because this is very well-worded for a first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Chip View Post
But then there are the people. While New Mexicans are superficially friendly - the check out person will talk to you at the Grocery, for example - connecting with people in ABQ is next to impossible.
Albuquerqueans do tend to be reserved, but they don't force it on others. We're just shy, and we don't get into your business. Being friendly and outgoing may feel like swimming upstream but it still works here- you just can't rely on the other person to break the ice every time (sounds like that's your problem).

Quote:
Then there's the work ethic. There is none. Work is a four letter word here - something New Mexicans avoid at all costs. The level of laziness here really beggars the imagination. Service people are doing you a major favor doing their jobs.
You should probably travel more. I'd rate Albuquerque 4/10 for service work ethic and select other parts of NM as low as 2/10. I have lived in places that earned 1/10 and have seen 10/10 as well. Most of the shortfall comes from inadequate training and supervision. One of the bright sides of this down economy is that the people who want jobs tend to do them better, so over the past five years, I'd say Albuquerque has gained a point.

Quote:
The pace? Be prepared to wait. I'm talking waiting 5 minutes to order a pizza with 2 people ahead of you. Be prepared to wait 20 minutes to check out of the pharmacy if there are 4 ahead of you. Why would anyone want to go anywhere.
Usually the pace shortfalls come from the dullards in front of you in line, rather than the service worker. Interestingly enough, in my experience the ones who slow down the lines the most tend to be people visiting from out of state (perhaps our service workers are less adept at communicating with people who aren't local). Sounds like you need to live in a big city on a coast where courtesy and patience are neither given nor appreciated.

Quote:
Intelligence? New Mexicans are the dumbest people I've ever experienced - it's really beyond belief until you're here.
Again, you need to travel more. Or perhaps hang out with different people.

Quote:
Single? Expect on remaining so. There are lots of beautiful women in ABQ. Then they turn twenty two. Stay in shape? Work out? That would be like, well, working. We couldn't have that. A slender, attractive woman was visiting me here - and was hearing comments in loud stage whispers from the morbidly obese women who make up most of the over 22 population. "You can't trust the skinny ones." Things like that.
Somehow I get the impression the local dating pool is not your biggest obstacle. If you're looking for 8's, 9's, and 10's, they are very uncommon in NM. This comes from the culture as much as the genetics and lifestyle- even attractive women dress conservatively and that drops an 8 down to a 6 every time.

The exception to this? 90+ degrees outside; the 8's and 9's suddenly start appearing because it's too hot to wear frumpy clothes. Enjoy it for the next few months.

Quote:
People who move to ABQ fall into two groups. Those who become New Mexicans - lose all motivation, and do nothing but complain.
You sure you're not a New Mexican?

Old 06-24-2012, 02:00 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Joe Chip, don't the door hit you on the way out!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post

Thanks! I'm a professional writer.

Albuquerqueans do tend to be reserved, but they don't force it on others. We're just shy, and we don't get into your business. Being friendly and outgoing may feel like swimming upstream but it still works here- you just can't rely on the other person to break the ice every time (sounds like that's your problem).

Actually, no. I'm quite friendly - it just gets nowhere. And it's very difficult to start a conversation when every topic - especially work - seems taboo.

You should probably travel more. I'd rate Albuquerque 4/10 for service work ethic and select other parts of NM as low as 2/10. I have lived in places that earned 1/10 and have seen 10/10 as well. Most of the shortfall comes from inadequate training and supervision. One of the bright sides of this down economy is that the people who want jobs tend to do them better, so over the past five years, I'd say Albuquerque has gained a point.

I've lived all over the country. Never seen anything to equal bad service in NM. That's not to say there's no good service - there is. But it's a crap shoot. It's either quite good, or terrible. Nothing in the middle.

Usually the pace shortfalls come from the dullards in front of you in line, rather than the service worker.

That is absolutely true. I've been amazed by how long it take people to order a pizza, for example.

Somehow I get the impression the local dating pool is not your biggest obstacle. If you're looking for 8's, 9's, and 10's, they are very uncommon in NM. This comes from the culture as much as the genetics and lifestyle- even attractive women dress conservatively and that drops an 8 down to a 6 every time.

I've been out with attractive women - 6s, maybe - and they've gotten nasty looks and heckling from the 300 pound, 5'2" women here. At places like the County Line, for heaven's sake. I think the pressure to be unattractive here is so great, that many women succumb to it.

You sure you're not a New Mexican?
Absolutely! But I do appreciate the thoughtful reply. As i said - one either becomes a New Mexican, or one leaves. Part of the vitriol in my post comes from the fact that I completely love New Mexico - it's the most beautiful place I've ever lived, by far. And I hate the fact that the challenges of living here are going to drive me away. But, for good or ill, NM won't change. Maybe that's part of the charm for those who love it here.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I'm a professional writer.

Quote:
Actually, no. I'm quite friendly. But talking to New Mexicans is like talking to a brick wall. How do you start any sort of relationship when questions as simple as "What do you do?" are taboo?

Quote:
I can't agree. I've lived all over the country, and never seen laziness like New Mexico. My girlfriend was from West Virginia - she couldn't believe it.

Quote:
Usually the pace shortfalls come from the dullards in front of you in line, rather than the service worker.
Absolutely! But I don't know that the person who needs 5 minutes to order a pizza is necessarily out of state...

Quote:
I was at the County Line with a local woman - not dressed provocatively by any means - but getting vicious looks and comments from the 5'2", 240 lb women. There's just to much negative pressure from other women for anyone to look good here. It's the general attitude that than any nail that sticks up gets driven down.

Honestly, my frustration comes from the fact that I love the state - I've never lived anywhere this beautiful. I hate to leave. But ABQ will never change. Maybe that's the charm for people who stay here. But ABQ does drive a lot of people out...

Anyway - thanks for the thoughtful reply. You sure you're a New Mexican?

Old 06-24-2012, 05:14 PM

One quick addendum for Zoidberg. I did notice you didn't try to defend the driving skill here in ABQ!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:27 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,062,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Chip View Post
One quick addendum for Zoidberg. I did notice you didn't try to defend the driving skill here in ABQ!
I don't have time to reply thoroughly to all of your statements since I'm on my phone and have to go to my niece's graduation party. She is sure lucky to have finished nursing school and been accepted into the graduate nursing program. Being that she is just another dumb New Mexican. Also, my dumb(your word just in case she is reading ) NM native UCLA law school graduate wife is bugging me to hurry up and get in the shower.

To the driving. Since Abq population has more than doubled in the last 30 years, I'm guessing a fairly significant portion of those divers you are complaining about are transplants just as you are.

Last edited by NMHacker; 06-24-2012 at 05:35 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 05:52 PM

186 posts, read 466,101 times
I was at the County Line with a local woman - not dressed provocatively by any means - but getting vicious looks and comments from the 5'2", 240 lb women. There's just to much negative pressure from other women for anyone to look good here. It's the general attitude that than any nail that sticks up gets driven down.

I find this odd.....one of the things I loved the most about when I lived in NM was the fact that most people didn't really care how I dressed, whether good or bad.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:17 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,959 times
Next time I get a haircut in Santa Fe, I'll remind my Barber that he's supposed to be a 'dumb-n'-lazy' New Mexican with no work ethic!?

I'm sure he won't take it too badly, right?

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico