Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:54 PM

12 posts, read 29,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
LOL...LOL...LOL...
3,410 posts...hmmm...how many of those were dumb like this one? Yeah, don't think those count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 04:40 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingMO View Post
3,410 posts...hmmm...how many of those were dumb like this one? Yeah, don't think those count.
LOL....LOL.....LOL....

Old 04-08-2008, 11:22 AM

332 posts, read 1,035,512 times
check out Vacation Rentals By Owner (vrbo.com) They're a national service, but they have many rentals in and around Santa Fe. Even if you don't ultimately use their service, it can give you a good baseline for negotiation.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:19 AM

974 posts, read 2,342,780 times
Default Between Santa Fe and Taos

Dixon is a nice little town, with artists and a fairly decent winery. It's much closer to Taos than Santa Fe. There are also little towns dotting the "High Road to Taos" (Rtes. 76 and 518). Truchas, for one (it's where The Milagro Beanfield War was filmed) is a neat, arty, old Spanish village. I don't know if these little towns have much in the way of rentals, but that route has a very supportive arts community, and they have a studio tour every year.
There is a thriving arts community in Abiquiu (where Georgia O'Keefe lived and painted), and you could also check out El Rito and Ojo Caliente. Again, I don't know how many rental properties there are in these little villages, but artists and other free spirits certainly love those places I've mentioned.

To: Missing MO - It sounds like you need to get back to the midwest, or at least leave New Mexico. This state isn't for everyone. People tend to either love it or hate it; not many are lukewarm....I was born in New York City, and have lived in a dozen states in all parts of the country (yes, including Missouri), and I wouldn't live anywhere else but in New Mexico.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:35 AM

33 posts, read 181,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
I am reduced to recommending what is called the Pojoaque Valley. Pojoaque is the biggest town, bracketed by Nambe and Jacona. It has some artists and is big enough to provide the essentials -- a grocery store, pharmacy, etc. Not really what you are looking for, though.

I loved living in the Pojoaque Valley. My husband was transferred to Santa Fe for a short-term reorganization of the company, and we had the same problem. I found a great job in Santa Fe working for a lobbyist. We rented an adobe in the Pojoaque Valley. It was the most beautiful place I've ever lived.

We had vega ceilings, solar energy, coyote fencing, a sunken and terraced yard planted in perennials, etc. My living room was all glass on three side so I could see both the Sangre de Cristos and the Jimez mountain ranges. Our home was beautiful, and I sat on the patio and listened to meadow larks and watched the hummingbirds (huge hummers). We had an artist next door and another neighbor was a hollywood screenwriter. The rent was half of what we would have paid in Santa Fe and the drive was very short (25 miles to town). The drive home was breathtaking because when I turned onto the highway to Los Alamos that takes you to the Valley, the light coming down from the clouds simply transported me. I bought my groceries in White Rock and just had a ball living out there.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:02 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,056 times
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesConnect View Post

I loved living in the Pojoaque Valley. My husband was transferred to Santa Fe for a short-term reorganization of the company, and we had the same problem. I found a great job in Santa Fe working for a lobbyist. We rented an adobe in the Pojoaque Valley. It was the most beautiful place I've ever lived.

We had vega ceilings, solar energy, coyote fencing, a sunken and terraced yard planted in perennials, etc. My living room was all glass on three side so I could see both the Sangre de Cristos and the Jimez mountain ranges. Our home was beautiful, and I sat on the patio and listened to meadow larks and watched the hummingbirds (huge hummers). We had an artist next door and another neighbor was a hollywood screenwriter. The rent was half of what we would have paid in Santa Fe and the drive was very short (25 miles to town). The drive home was breathtaking because when I turned onto the highway to Los Alamos that takes you to the Valley, the light coming down from the clouds simply transported me. I bought my groceries in White Rock and just had a ball living out there.
I agree. I love the Pojoaque Valley for all the reasons you mention plus you might add that it has an ethnic mix and it mostly lacks the very-rich-look-down-their-noses types that you do find some places in the Santa Fe area.

And the rents in the Pojoaque Valley are too reasonable. We have a large insulated building with windows and great views and we can't justify the expense of finishing it as a rental unit.

Reason I hesitated to suggest the Pojoaque Valley is that I don't think it has the per capita concentration of artists like Dixon or Madrid. I thought that was what the poster was looking for. Still it might be the best choice for her.

If she is still looking?

Old 04-09-2008, 01:01 PM

6 posts, read 17,157 times
Default More Info Please

Hi,
I am brand new here - husband will probably be accepting a position at Bandelier National Monument that will last a year maybe longer. We now live in Wisconsin on Lake Pepin (Mississippi River). Looking for affordable rents in the area without too much commute and I am of course not familiar with the Valley area you just mentioned. Could you give more detail on where exactly and details on snakes and bugs - I am already freaked about all that. This seems a very scary move for me - I like quiet and hate areas of crime/drugs.
Thanks for any advice!! I have myself been a food and beverage manager most of my adult life - (events and banquets)

Old 04-09-2008, 02:41 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrobin View Post
Hi,
I am brand new here - husband will probably be accepting a position at Bandelier National Monument that will last a year maybe longer. We now live in Wisconsin on Lake Pepin (Mississippi River). Looking for affordable rents in the area without too much commute and I am of course not familiar with the Valley area you just mentioned. Could you give more detail on where exactly and details on snakes and bugs - I am already freaked about all that. This seems a very scary move for me - I like quiet and hate areas of crime/drugs.
Thanks for any advice!! I have myself been a food and beverage manager most of my adult life - (events and banquets)
If you really want quiet and no crime -- then consider White Rock and Los Alamos -- both very close to Bandelier and about as quiet as anybody can stand. The kids do some drugs, but I suspect that you will find that everywhere. Housing prices are soft because of troubles at the Lab.

Pojoaque Valley is down the hill from Bandelier and White Rock and except for some non-violent burglary is pretty crime free. It is also fairly quiet. El Rancho, Jaconita, Jacona, Pojoaque, and Nambe are the names of the contiguous areas reading west to east or moving away from Bandelier. El Rancho is the closest, but perhaps the least desirable. Your best bet would be rental on a larger estate or family compound -- if you can find one.

Bugs -- I have seen some long centipedes -- scary looking but otherwise not much. I never saw a scorpion except once this teeny little thing (a half inch) that gave me a tiny little nip when I picked it up.

Rattlesnakes -- they have them places in Bandelier and other places around here, sorry. But the variety around here seems to need water -- so if you get a place without stream bed, river bed, or acequia (irrigation ditch), then they are very unlikely.

You don't want a river view around here, anyway, except possibly the Rio Grand. The others tend to be mud flats most of the year. And you're not like to get a Rio Grand view.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 04-09-2008 at 04:15 PM..

Old 04-09-2008, 04:38 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
MissingMO wondered out loud:

> Quote:
> Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3
> > LOL...LOL...LOL...

> 3,410 posts...hmmm...how many of those were dumb like this one?

How do you know when a post is dumb?

I know how to identify the whiney ones.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:19 PM

12 posts, read 29,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
MissingMO wondered out loud:

> Quote:
> Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3
> > LOL...LOL...LOL...

> 3,410 posts...hmmm...how many of those were dumb like this one?

How do you know when a post is dumb?

I know how to identify the whiney ones.

Well, I do know that you had nothing else to state in defense about the facts that I did present about northern New Mexico. So, if you call facts whiney, that's your choice.

I also know that you like to stick your nose in business that's not yours, considering that your location is the ABQ foothills, and not the Valley area. Are you really so bored that this is all you have to do?

Amrobin, living in certain parts of NM will make you harsh, I am from MO, and have been to WI a couple of times and it is beautiful! I am FINALLY moving back to MO/AR at the end of the year. I am so excited and can't wait!! If you have to move, I would suggest a temporary one. I agree with a statement from earlier, that New Mexico is not for everyone, and you'll either hate it or love it. And if you are moving, I would definitely suggest you and your husband visit, you won't get the entire experience then, but at least you'll get a dose so you can prepare better what to expect.

Are you big on rain? I know there's a lot in WI and compared to there, we don't get hardly any. Weather change is another to consider.

I wish you well on your move and hopefully things will work out for the best, a few from the midwest actually do like it here. Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico