Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 01:50 PM

14 posts, read 65,555 times

Advertisements

Judy P.
At the Luna County Courthouse, I was told that the Deming Ranchettes Overview Map is probably the best map of the units you are going to get. It looks like Unit 122 is Southeast of Deming aways. Nice and quiet out there. Also,pretty isolated I think. For more detail (block and tract) write to the Luna County Assesor:

Patricia Leyba
PO Drawer 551 County Courthouse Deming, NM 88031-0551
Phone: (505)546-0494
Fax: (505)546-4293

You'll find a lot of info about Deming and the area on the Deming homepage at http://www.cityofdeming.org/

Last edited by rabbit08; 07-17-2009 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 13,251 times
Default 1/2 acre lot

Is anyone familiar with this lot? Location, value, keep/sell? thanks
Unit 30 Block 23 Tract 2

Old 08-03-2009, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 18,105 times
Default Deming Ranchettes - Unit 67, Blk 3, Tract 38

Is there anyone that could help me with the info on this particular piece of dirt? My wife's parents bought this plot 40 years ago and gave to us before their death's. Would like to at least find the cross streets (if there are any!) to maybe get a top view through Google or Bing maps.

Deming Ranchette
Unit 67, Block 3, Tract 38

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Old 08-03-2009, 03:56 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,485 times
It all looks pretty much the same out there from a satellite view. You really have to get in your truck and kick up some dust to see what it's really like.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:52 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwisme View Post
Is there anyone that could help me with the info on this particular piece of dirt? My wife's parents bought this plot 40 years ago and gave to us before their death's. Would like to at least find the cross streets (if there are any!) to maybe get a top view through Google or Bing maps.

Deming Ranchette
Unit 67, Block 3, Tract 38

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Here's one link
Luna County, New Mexico Public Information & Property Records Search

Here's another
Clerk (http://www.lunacountynm.us/index_files/Clerk.htm - broken link)
Treasurer
Treasurer (http://www.lunacountynm.us/index_files/treasurer.htm - broken link)

Tax assessor
Treasurer (http://www.lunacountynm.us/index_files/treasurer.htm - broken link)

City of Deming
Deming, New Mexico

Luna County court house, maps, etc...
Luna County Court House -- TerraFly Point-Data - Info/Maps/Images of a Location

More help
Deming Ranchettes New Mexico Land for sale

Deming ranchettes map

Deming Ranchettes Overview Map

Old 08-30-2009, 04:38 AM

3 posts, read 18,780 times
Default I'm from WV-need help on Deming ranchettes

I found this forum while researching the deming and sunshine valley subdivisions in luna county and am pleasantly surprised at all the info I have already picked up here.I have read all the archive threads available and as well as thru other reaserch have a general idea of the history,prices,county restrictions and realities of owning land there.
my situation is that a friend of my parents has been diagnosed with cancer and is expected to pass soon so he is settling affairs and has asked me if I would like to buy his property which is tracts 39&40-block 24-unit 9 of sunshine valley subdivision.
Mr. Accord purchased the lots about a year ago with the intention of building there in the next few years and does not know of the new rules on lot size and septic systems.He also has never seen the property and bought it off a guy who purchased it mail order in the 70's and has never saw it either.
I would like to help here and and can afford the asking price of $1600 and the yearly taxes plus the idea of owning a piece of ground in the desert seems like it could be an ok thing as long as I'm able to sell it when the time comes as my life is here and I have no plans for moving to NM.
I have spoken to a nice young lady in the assessors office and have found out that the lots do exist and are properly deeded with taxes paid.She could not tell me where said lots were located other than about 20 miles SE of town and in the desert but I've sent a check for the maps and info on the area.
I type slow so Im gonna go for now but would really apriciate any information on the location or unit 9 and block 24 or any other wisdom to help me make my decision.I am willing to fly out and spend a week os so in Deming but that will double the cost of the lots so Im doing all the the due diligence I can now.I'll check back,thanks for reading. CR

Old 08-30-2009, 07:00 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,043 times
Is there elec and water on the property? If not that could set you back over $10,000. From what I have read, it may not be worth it for you. If you are not thinking of moving west, I would forget it.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:38 AM

229 posts, read 655,557 times
Chilegal, Glad you explained it the way you did. I wish I could help her out but at this time I can't. If she is not moving there, don't take the property.
Anita

Old 08-30-2009, 09:45 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,916,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
If you are not thinking of moving west, I would forget it.
I second that recommendation. It's not a good investment, even if the price is not that high. That desert land has been "dirt cheap" for ages, and isn't likely to increase in value anytime soon - just the opposite is more likely, given the warming climate and dwindling water supplies.

There will likely be NO infrastructure to speak of - dirt roads, no community water system, lack of power and need to provide "up to state code" septic system. All of which impacts the attractiveness for the next buyer. There are many land tracts under cultivation to the south of Deming, but a view of satellite imagery shows an even larger number of tracts that are failed operations in the area. All irrigation is by wells, which can be expensive to operate and maintain unless the farm is of such size to make it worthwhile.

I've known people who have invested heavily in state-of-the-art systems that allow them to live independent of infrastructure, but they paid such a high price for what they have, and maintenance is such a problem, that they soon sold out - at great loss - and moved into town.

Last edited by jaxart; 08-30-2009 at 09:59 AM..

Old 08-30-2009, 08:19 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,425,578 times
I third the recommendation.

$1600 for an acre may not sound bad, but remember that there is NOTHING out there. Well, there are roads (bladed dirt), some power lines (limited), and being that you are not planning on coming out west, it will be a waste of money. If you have looked through the postings here, you should be able to find the lon/lat numbers for Google Maps or the like. Or wait for your County map to show up to help you find your lots. The easiest way to find the area is go to Deming on the Satellite feature. Zoom out till it's about the size of a quarter on your screen. Now move East. You will see a big blotch. That is the Florida Mountains. Center that on your screen, zoom in a little, then move East again. You should be able to see what looks like to be a grid in the desert. That is the Sunshine Valley Ranchettes. Zoom anywhere you want after that - it all looks the same.

If you are looking to unload it, the easiest thing to do may be EBay. List it as a No-Reserve auction, charge $100 for the 'processing fee' (it's actually more like $50) and collect the money (maaaybe $400) from some online sap (like myself). There is an escrow company in Deming that will take care of the paper work for you and if you want, I can go did up the name. I'm sorry to hear about your parent's friend, but that's reality of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico