Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:59 AM
Xaa

3 posts, read 11,136 times

Advertisements

Further information:Having now looked into this problem for awhile, I've discovered that it it's only the pre-paid phones that are dead in this area. Everyone on a contract phone is fine, regardless of what carrier they are on.
Meanwhile, our local Wal-Mart has been swamped with returns of the Tracphone pre-paids they sold which no longer work - and the complaints of hundreds upon hundreds of users, some who have used their pre-paid phones for years, and now can't use them at all, even to dial 911. Since it's now February 12th with no acknowledgement from Tracphone that the problem exists (much less when or if it will ever be fixed), it seems clear this problem isn't going to go away.
If you have a contract phone, you're fine in the Curry & Roosevelt county areas - but if you have a pre-paid Tracphone, it's not going to work, here. And nobody knows why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 09:35 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,002,068 times
Exclamation RE: cell phone outlining areas.

We went and got a "Cingular" type phone and found that it worked better to some extent in the Fench Lake area than others. However, with "2 Bars" showing able to make a call....then "4 Bars" NOTHING..????
My contractor has a Cingular from Phoenix and can make calls anywhere down on the property?????
This is very frustrating considering that Century Tele. still will not put in a line for under $9000.00.
I can almost see the Zuni tower and with 4 bars zip...
Going to Show Low next week and get a ""Bag Phone"" that is digital.
Like the old type analog that I had in the 80's!!

There are some locals that are into HAM radio and have towers out there, but cell towers in area NOT. (yet)-working on that also.

This really takes up my building fence line and cutting firewood time

Stay tuned.
HW

Old 02-12-2008, 09:47 AM

502 posts, read 1,380,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaa View Post
Further information:Having now looked into this problem for awhile, I've discovered that it it's only the pre-paid phones that are dead in this area. Everyone on a contract phone is fine, regardless of what carrier they are on.
Meanwhile, our local Wal-Mart has been swamped with returns of the Tracphone pre-paids they sold which no longer work - and the complaints of hundreds upon hundreds of users, some who have used their pre-paid phones for years, and now can't use them at all, even to dial 911. Since it's now February 12th with no acknowledgement from Tracphone that the problem exists (much less when or if it will ever be fixed), it seems clear this problem isn't going to go away.
If you have a contract phone, you're fine in the Curry & Roosevelt county areas - but if you have a pre-paid Tracphone, it's not going to work, here. And nobody knows why.

With the trac phones you just have to use the right approach to get them to act.
Go to the FCC site and file a complaint. It will take several weeks to get a response but trac fone will contact you. They can and will solve the problem.
Just went through this with my moms phone.
I'm looking for the name and direct number of the man that solved the problem for me. If I can find it I will post it here.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 PM

24 posts, read 84,047 times
It looks like we'll be moving to Alb. in July and currently have an account with cingular/att. How is their coverage overall in NM? We ride (motorcycles) all over the place and will need good coverage.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 PM

15 posts, read 75,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camsgirl View Post
It looks like we'll be moving to Alb. in July and currently have an account with cingular/att. How is their coverage overall in NM? We ride (motorcycles) all over the place and will need good coverage.

I know it is a late reply but: I just came back from a motorcycle trip. Went 117 from Grants to Quemado, Quemado to Sholow. I have QWest and I did not have ANY coverage once I left Grants until I arrived in Sholow. As a matter of fact I even had a slightly difficult tiime finding a reception area in Sholow. Kinda frustrating. All the does is just roam and never latched onto anything.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:24 PM

7,334 posts, read 2,742,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaa View Post

Trac-fone has already switched to digital from analog. You can go to their website and it will answer your questions. You will need to purchase a new tracfone and then change over your minutes/airtime, etc.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:48 PM

550 posts, read 1,549,966 times
Thumbs up Air Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Oh yeah Verizon is great. When i had Qwest i'd lose the signal at I-25 and San Antonio all the way to Alamogordo but now with Verizon i have signal all the way from Albuquerque to Alamogordo. So for 45 dollars a month plus free long distance i'm very happy with Verizon......
Hey 6'3' you can also get a verizon 'Air Card' for $45 a month and do a way with home bound internet. I have one for my company computer and it works good, But like cell phones you still have to have service. Personaly Im' stuck with DSL. The wife wants to be on her pc while I'm on mine. ROFL!!!

Old 05-10-2008, 11:42 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,002,068 times
Talking Re re Cell phone coverage...Fence Lake etc.

After trying many many phones I got a Nokia 6555 and am using ATT/Cell 1.
It is working much much better and can make a call from inside the "barn-house". Sometimes it takes a couple tries but once connected I have it.

There is absolutley NO service south of Fence Lake thru Quemado until one gets to Show Low...really need a tower down there.

But at least I get to the outside world.
Telephone is still out of the question as cost to run 1/4 mile cable is still about $8000.00.....guess I will have to pick and shovel it

Happy trails,
Hunter Wold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico