Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:55 AM

28 posts, read 63,864 times

Advertisements

Could an old retired southern redneck enjoy the summers in Raton. Would maybe spend winters in AZ. Trying to escape the high humidity and summer storms here in the Mississippi River Delta.
What does the local cafe's set out for breakfast? I do like my hot sauce on my eggs with lots of chopped onions, peppers and tomatos. Have read lots about red and green chili's being served, I like green chili's in my cabbage and bean soup, so thinking maybe they just might cook them in breakfast eggs too, of course gotta have country biscuits and maybe fried beef strips or sausage to go with them.
What month of the year does it warm up to 60 and stay above that and how long will it last?
I look to join in with local folks and love to just sit, talk and learn about what makes everyone tick. Just looking for a cool dry place to spend the summers of my golden years. Bobby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 08:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
I cannot think of a better place except maybe Cimmeron.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:33 PM

99 posts, read 456,259 times
Raton is suffering like all the small towns with this depression coming on. They do, however have their eyes on the horizon, trying to make things better and making offers to some companies to come in for tax abatement in exchange for jobs.

There are several good cafes there. The food is decent. The people are for the most part friendly other than a couple old grouches. They have a decent little airport, and they have the NRA Whittington Center for shooting sports.

Raton elevation is fairly high. It warms up during the day then cools off at night. Once in a while it will snow enough for the state to close I-25. It will usually melt off within a couple days though. Cimmaron is on up the valley, and smaller. You'd end up coming to Raton to get groceries and stuff. I like Raton, myself.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:20 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,210,725 times
OleGrouch: You can have a look at the other part of this site for climatic information. There is a graph of average daily highs and lows, as well as wind, precip, etc. April through October in Raton should be great, although by late October, snow is likely to start.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:24 PM

215 posts, read 652,716 times
Default Raton

Hopefully we will be relocating to Raton. Can anyone tell me how life in general is in Raton? I know it's a pretty sleepy town, but curious about grocery stores, main retail stores, etc. We are in a small community in Central CA. and are used to snakes, etc. but not sure about the centipedes i'm reading about. Any info would be great. Thanks

Old 08-03-2008, 04:37 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,035,301 times
Hi hopeful transplant:

Welcome to the City-Data New Mexico forum! This is the place to meet others who have relocated and to get your questions answered!

I don't know if we have any members here who live in Raton.

I have been through there many times in the past when we used to come down into New Mexico through the Raton Pass from Colorado. It is a very beautiful area.

Yes, Raton is quite small ... however, just over the pass into Colorado is Trinidad, which is a decent sized town with all the services you will need that you can't find in Raton. Trinidad was always our stopping place on our drive, and we have stayed overnight there many times. There are several restraurants there that we have gone to, and you will have stores there for shopping.

Good luck on your moving plans .. and I hope you will get some people here with more knowledge of Raton to answer your questions.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:45 PM

215 posts, read 652,716 times
Towanda - thanks for the info. We will know in a few days if we will be moving or not. Thanks again,

Old 08-03-2008, 05:06 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,035,301 times
Keep us informed!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:09 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,210,725 times
The drive over the pass from Raton to Trinidad and back might be rather exciting in winter. I rather like Raton, though. Last time I was there, it hadn't become too touristy.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:51 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,993,433 times
Wink Raton

Not sure about grocery stores in Raton, NM, although my impression that those there probably dated. There is a K-Mart. On a daily basis you'll likely find that most services you need are present, if not perhaps the selection you might like.

Just over Raton Pass in Colorado, Trinidad will offer a few more options, although in size it is roughly equivalent to Raton. There is, however, a Wal-Mart there. Although generally an easy and short trip between these two towns, know that in inclement weather Raton Pass can be difficult, and at times even closed.

So even though on I-25, Raton is a long ways (Trinidad excepted) from anywhere else of any size. Pueblo, CO the closest. Santa Fe, NM to the south. Las Vegas, NM doesn't count as it is about the same size as Raton.

Part of the charm, or at least why you would want to live there or not. My impression is that it is somewhat sleepy. It is possible to walk into the DMV and be the only patron there; for anyone accustomed to large cities this probably incomprehensible, if welcome in the event. Not sure about the flavor of local politics, but Raton is small enough you'll probably often be on a first name basis. One issue you may deal with, and quite common across New Mexico, would be water. Probably a good place if you want to step a decade or two back, in some respects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico