Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 08:53 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,760,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellc View Post
My husband transferred to Raton, NM with the Santa Fe Railroad in 1993. He retired from the railroad last year and although we have no family here, we are staying in Raton because we love it! Wonderful outdoor activities are abundant. There is a fantastic 9-hole golf course where one can see deer, turkey, fox, and yes, sometimes even bear. The views of the mesas and wildlife are breathtaking. Every sunset the roosting turkeys use the number one fairway as a runway to reach the nearby trees. The deer are so familiar with the golfers and carts going by that they will stand and watch you as you drive or walk by. Sugarite Canyon State Park is only fifteen minutes away. Hiking, horseback riding, and fishing along with campfire programs and holiday programs are scheduled throughout the year. The NRA Whittington center is one of the largest outdoor shooting facilities in the U.S. that includes overnight camping, cabins, horseback riding and hiking trails, as well as the tours of the closed Van Houten coal mine. Colfax Canyon (right in Raton) is a newly created hiking trail. Not only do we have fabulous outdoor activities, but the Shuler Theater, a 1914 Opera House, has been renovated several times since the 1970's and continues to host live performances, including the Summer Repertory Theater, and the Raton Arts & Humanities performing arts season from October through May. Plus a myriad of other live performances and programs. Raton has a very active Children's Theater and provides annual holiday performances as well. Raton opened the indoor Regional Aquatic Center which features lap swimming, open swimming, and aquatic exercise year-round. The new critical access hospital provides some of the best medical care with top of the line equipment and includes an 87-bed long-term care facility for retired miners. We also have a new twelve-room assisted living facility, Colfax Senior Care. All in all, I'd say Raton is a great place to retire. There are great opportunities for young retirees to make this community even better through volunteer efforts with so many civic organizations too. The Raton Chamber, MainStreet, and GrowRaton (economic development group) are three organizations that are working to make Raton even better. Come join us!
Congrats, lauralee. We've always liked Raton. Glad you found your spot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 09:25 AM

49 posts, read 106,155 times
Congrats lauralee!

My wife an I have yet to visit that part of NM.
We'll get up there one of these days.
Tell your husband to enjoy his retirement.
I retired from the railroad in 2008, and LOVE being retired!!

Old 11-05-2012, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,252 times
I'm sure you'll love Raton's downtown historic district too. You can't really "see" Raton until you get off the highway and go downtown. Solano's Boot & Western Wear and the Santa Fe Trail Trader on Second Street (the I-25 Business loop) are two corner businesses that are long-time anchors of our downtown. You'll also see the 1914 Shuler Theater and the 1937 El Raton movie theater, both still in use on Second Street. Go one block east to Historic First Street to find antique and collectible shops, the Old Pass Gallery, and the 1912 train depot (Amtrak is right next door).

Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,560 times
Default Raton

Well im a texan, Wichita falls,and speaking for myself I simply love Raton New Mexico, and go every chanch i get. Love riding my motorcycle there and love how friendly the local folks are would give anything to be lucky enough to live there. My sister lives there and she seems pretty happy however she does shop in Colorado up the pass, to me Raton is beautiful, love the mountains and clean crisp mountain air. I have been in the big grocery store there alot and have noticed how high everything is, and gas was especially steep at the stations. I think that the city needs to try and bring a walmart supercenter there and keep the money in town,a CVS,walgreen heck the list goes on and on . I was shocked at the realestate prices on homes wow it would be cheaper to live in Santa Fe just saying . Here in Texas its so hot and miserable , lots of tornadoes and storms, the only mountains we have are man made humps or rock and gravel pits piled up cant wait to get back to gods country Raton New mexico

Old 12-05-2012, 05:40 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,348,065 times
There is a super Walmart just up the road but on the CO side just before going into Trinidad off I 25. Now, I find Trinidad pretty reasonable price so, I thought Raton would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico