Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:22 PM

146 posts, read 440,429 times

Advertisements

Well, it looks like he'll find out how it's grown by the end of this month.... I'm sure he's going to want to check out the PX!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 07:50 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,140 times
There is one other grocery store in town. But like you said Cindy, Cruces or El Paso isn't that far..Many of the ones in the midwest have to travel as long to get part of the shopping we can get here.
And base guys are all over. So you will see many. The apt complexes are good with dogs.
I know you will enjoy the area. Heat can be a little much if you don't like heat, but its minus the humidity..BIG PLUS.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:17 PM

45 posts, read 175,901 times
Default Coming to a skyline near you...

Two should arrive around the middle of June. I will be there about a month before. Oh and the Holloman jet will have HO on the tails (vertical stabilizers).

Old 04-05-2008, 07:19 PM

Power T, Welcome to the neighborhood. Will you be living on or off base?
Jane

Old 04-06-2008, 05:05 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerT View Post
Two should arrive around the middle of June. I will be there about a month before. Oh and the Holloman jet will have HO on the tails (vertical stabilizers).
That's a cool photo Power T of the F-22 which is the most advanced Fighter Jet in the world and they are going to be stationed in Holloman AFB next to Alamogordo.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:27 PM

15 posts, read 64,549 times
Talking w00t!

Thanks, everyone. I know I'm being needy with all these questions. Please bear with me, and thanks again. You all have been wonderfully elucidative.

I just finished scouring the rest of City-Data's NM forum. Anyone read some of the threads on Las Cruces?? More specifically, the CRIME there?

HOLY CHRIST. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't LC very proximal to Alamo? What's the breakdown on crime?? Sure, the stats say one thing, but what is everyone's personal experience??

Also, as I am an avid hiker...what native fauna (critters) can I expect to encounter, when out on the trails?? Are bears native??? (are 30-something single men endemic to the area?? hehe) Snake varieties? Scorpions everywhere? Are there cacti naturally growing??

What do y'all do for fun?? What's on the agenda over the weekends??
Thanks for posting pics. I'm a 'visual' person, and the area looks like paradise to outdoors(wo)men. I just can't wait to visit...how do I dress for April/May weather?? I'm counting down the days, Alamo!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:57 PM

Joy,
There is crime everywhere, don't worry about what the threads say. Most people will write about the bad things, not the good. If a town that is 70 miles away worries you then don't move here. What is the crime like where you live now? Within 70 miles??
As for what you can find on the trails? Thats a good question. Most animals will want to stay away from you, so its not a big problem. You can see many wild animals if you look, but they have not bothered DH or me. As for snakes, yes there can be some, but like I said they don't go looking for you. And the scorpions, ya I have stepped on them. Its like a bee sting. It scared me more than hurt - it was dark. And the cacti is natural in the desert.
What I would do on the week-end is different than you would. But everyone has their own likes and dislikes for entertainment.
Weather now is in the 70's & 80's, and it will only get warmer. Check out this iste 7-Day Forecast for Latitude 32.89N and Longitude -105.95W (Elev. 4392 ft)
This also could help in answering your questions City of Alamogordo
Jane

Old 04-08-2008, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 11,359 times
The here is usually very low-key, but there does happen to be alot of. You know, graffiti and the like. Bears are rarely spotted, but they're there. Same for mountain lions. There's not alot to do on the weekends, unless you travel that is.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
Anyone out there that can help give me perspective on Alamo? I am likely to have a good health-care career starting at Gerald Champion Medical Center in June. I am wondering about the area, as I have never been, although I have read a lot of threads on the area.
My family is placing insane amounts of pressure on me to not leave where I am (close to them). Though having never been there either, they are calling the place a literal "hell-hole", poverty-stricken hot, humid (<-I laughed at that accusation), no Catholic churches, yet overrun with Mexicans, etc. because of crap they've either made up or read online. Anything and EVERYTHING to get me to turn down the job. I am disgusted at this point, and I need facts to make my decision. I will be visiting at the end of April.

FYI, I am a single 20-something white female, LOVE outdoor recreation (esp. hiking, horsebackriding and generally exploring nature). I love my allied healthcare career, and I'm sick of being stuck in the "bowels of Hell" (humid, overpriced, retirement-graveyard of the South). I am looking to settle in a pastoral, QUIET, mainly rural, safe, low-action (I don't do nightlife or bars...just outdoorsy stuff..but I like to eat out and shop at Wally-World!!) area where I can eventually afford to buy real estate Imagine that! My job likely will be around 50K. I will need a nice, dog-friendly apartment somewhere in the area (preferably close to GCRMC, but I'm open to other proximal towns like Cloudcroft...I haven't noted a single apt. complex in CC or neighboring mountain towns, though). Help with suggestions, please?? I AM somewhat of a 'homebody', library-loving and computer addict, too. Does Alamo sound like a poor fit for me?

Be honest. Please help me out. I'm in this all alone, and I need to make some serious decisions. And soon.

P.S. what is the general reputation of Gerald Champion?

Thank you, everyone.
I think Alamogordo is wonderful. You can easily drive to Las Cruces, El Paso, or Cloudcroft and Ruidoso for the day. If you live in Cloudcroft or Ruidoso, you have heating bills in the winter and of course a daily commute. Alamogordo has just enough of everything but is still a small town but close enough to bigger ones.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:04 PM

266 posts, read 911,420 times
First I'll say I've only been to Alamagordo once, for a weekend. We were disappointed when we first drove in--the kind of ugly bland commercial development you see in so many New Mexico small towns. But the place grew on us as we spent more time there. We finally found a few nice neighborhoods--not fancy, mind you, but well-kept houses. The historic downtown is kind of a joke, but we did visit a very nice little hip coffee shop there. We enjoyed some custard at a busy custard shop along the commercial drag. We went to a wonderful city playground, best I've ever seen, believe it or not. We went to White Sands, of course, which was awesome, then drove up into the mountains--to Cloudcroft, I think? Cute little town.

Alamogordo is not a rich town. The demographic seems like working-class low-income to middle class. It's slightly rundown, but I wouldn't call it a dying town. It's not booming either. It didn't feel unsafe. People seemed pretty nice and down-to-earth. The scenery was beautiful. There were things to do, but it's best for someone looking for a quiet life. Not for someone who likes nightlife, lots of cultural things, shopping or nice restaurants. Sounds like it might fit the bill for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico