Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:28 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,896,411 times

Advertisements

How about Sonic Booms?

Yes. There are occasional sonic booms...and they are NO big deal at all. One lady wrote to the editor, complaining bitterly, making a mountain out of a small molehill.

I haven't been here long enough to get my medical set up (GP, dentist, et al), so that remains to be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 10:07 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,026,638 times
I think Tigerlily and Cathy answered this pretty good. You have pros and cons in any city, but it is getting more of a retirement area all the time.
Medical is fine, I have had no problems when I needed to find a Dr.
Jane

Old 04-11-2008, 03:09 PM

39 posts, read 109,759 times
Thanks for the replies and answers to my questions.

A friend of mine is looking at Alamo.
He is also retired and I guess I would have one more question to pass along.

Is there something in the way of housing for age 55 and over, like Patio homes or Condos? We're not talking assisted living but in the likes of a duplex.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Rider View Post
Thanks for the replies and answers to my questions.

A friend of mine is looking at Alamo.
He is also retired and I guess I would have one more question to pass along.

Is there something in the way of housing for age 55 and over, like Patio homes or Condos? We're not talking assisted living but in the likes of a duplex.
I can think of Amber Skies as a friend lives there and likes it. Not sure of any others. We chose not to be in a 55 and older community, even though most that live around us are that or above.
Your best be is to venture down and check Alamo out for yourself.
Jane

Old 04-14-2008, 06:54 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,654,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Rider View Post
What are the gripes of the residents?
The 2 biggest complaints i've heard over the years are Water shortages as the drought is really hurting Alamo and the other is the sad shape the city streets are un as a good majority need rehabilation although the voters reciently approved a road bond issue there to start to repair the city streets.

6/3

Old 06-01-2008, 05:35 PM

6 posts, read 18,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I agree with GregW as $50,000 annually is very good for Alamogordo. Gerald Champion is only 10 years old as it's still new and has gone thru 3 expansions already. It also is the base hospital for Holloman AFB which is 10 miles west of Alamo. Apartments close to it are on Scenic Dr.and Indian Wells Blvd although anywhere in Alamo and your about 10 minutes away. 1st street also has nice apartment complexes.. There are no apartments in Cloudcroft or other mountain communities but there are houses and cabins and condos that rent out year around.

There are only tiny amount of Mexicans in Alamo but those i have met there over the years are extremely nice and spanish is not needed at all to survive there. There is very little water recreation but there is Camping, Hiking, Horseback Riding, Mountain Biking, Mountain Streams and Fishing up all around in the Sacramento mountains which are about 100 miles long and 50 miles wide and peaks that reach 11,500 ft to 12,000 ft tall. Also lots of Mountain Festivals thru out the year like the Cherry and Apple Fests and OktoberFests as others.

Hope that helps and now i'll post some different photos starting on the next post for you to see SeekingJoy and CindyBQuilts and others....
Not true, there are 35-40% hispanic-mexicans in Alamogordo. Many are not even tallied on the US Census.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:59 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,654,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markd51 View Post
Not true, there are 35-40% hispanic-mexicans in Alamogordo. Many are not even tallied on the US Census.
I was referring to Illegal Immigrants and not Hispanics living in Alamo in my post.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:21 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,614,880 times
My opinion is that Alamogordo is a hot, boring, conservative little town. I lived there and survived because I was working most of the time. One of the best moments of my life was when I was able to escape it.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,052 times
I am researching cities in New Mexico and I was wanting to know, does Alamogordo have problems with flash flooding?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlover42 View Post
I am researching cities in New Mexico and I was wanting to know, does Alamogordo have problems with flash flooding?
We had a flash flood a few years ago. Ask the realtor where the flood zone is, and ask others where the flood was and you will get a good answer. It did not effect all the city, just a small portion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico