Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,425,620 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any horror stories to share? Since theyre self-governing, Ive heard several stories (which might be wives tales for all I know) about them that have me a little edgy. Now, I fully respect their laws and ours, and have the utmost sympathy for Natives, dont get me wrong. Ive just heard that the Reservation police can be very "Gestapo-like", is this true? I read a story once where some snake hunters had accidentally wandered onto Reservation land, and their police confiscated their truck and refused to give it back, as well as fined them. Anyone have any stories like that or heard any that can be factually backed up? I go to NM and AZ to do some snake hunting myself, and always make sure to know where the Reservations are so I dont tread onto their land, but accidents happen and I wouldnt want to be on the wrong side of their law, ya know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 12:48 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times
Bring along some USGS Quadrangle maps and learn how to figure out exactly where you are using a compass and landmarks. Or GPS if the batteries hold up.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:02 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,610,983 times
I only know one story, and it is not all that bad.

A friend of my father's went on a paid reservation deer hunt. He was guided to an animal, but when he shot it the bullet went through the buck and also killed a young spike hidden in the brush behind the buck. Apparently the hunt rules for that 10 grand hunt specified only one animal. His bullet was not in the trophy buck, but was lodged in the spike, so the spike is the animal he got to take home while the police kept the trophy buck.

At least he wasn't fined for killing two animals.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,425,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I only know one story, and it is not all that bad.

A friend of my father's went on a paid reservation deer hunt. He was guided to an animal, but when he shot it the bullet went through the buck and also killed a young spike hidden in the brush behind the buck. Apparently the hunt rules for that 10 grand hunt specified only one animal. His bullet was not in the trophy buck, but was lodged in the spike, so the spike is the animal he got to take home while the police kept the trophy buck.

At least he wasn't fined for killing two animals.
How bizarre.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:01 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,089,324 times
GregW advised:

> USGS Quadrangle maps ... compass and landmarks. Or GPS ...

Suppose YOU know where you ARE, but the police disagree?

It's kind of like knowing you DIDN'T run the red light, but the police report says you DID.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:32 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,035,440 times
All I know is I make sure I go the speed limit when Im driving through a reservation.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:58 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,841 times
We got stopped by a Navajo policeman for speeding back in 2000. He was really friendly. He asked us where we were going, and what we were doing. We said we were tourists and were on our way to the Zuni rez. He just gave us a warning, which we kept for a souvenir.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:11 PM

261 posts, read 936,738 times
They're pretty much like any other police. The big difference is the law and the court system, not the cops. If you annoy a judge on the rez (I don't know about the pueblos) you better bring a lunch. You're going to be there a while. The Jicarilla are notorious for confiscating high dollar rifles during hunting season when the driver of a vehicle inadvertantly crosses the boundary with a loaded gun. Typically you end up buying your rifle back from the tribe.
The Navajo courts are set up to protect the interests of the Navajo, not to serve justice. You just have to understand that when you're out there. If you sell something to someone who lives on the rez you cannot assume that your interests are the same as they would be if you sold to someone off the rez. You're not going to have the same recourse as US courts.
On ALL tribal lands the flora, fauna, artifacts, etc should be considered protected and more importantly, sacred. Just don't mess with it and you'll be ok. Usually.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times
Nice to know the reservations are as good at shaking down the strangers as any other small town justice system in these United States.
[Lecture on]
I do think that anyone dumb or careless enough to carry a loaded rifle in a pickup should probably not be carrying it. After all it does not take a lot of time to load a rifle after you get out of the truck to take a shot at the trophy target. Remember safety first, last and always when dealing with firearms.

[lecture off]

Old 04-25-2008, 08:58 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,489,825 times
People assume the legal status of an Indian reservation is the same as the relationship of the Federal government to the states or other non-federal governmental entities. It is not. Legally speaking, without getting technical, the legal status of an Indian reservation is similar to a foreign country occupied by the United States. This Department of Justice fact sheet describes it ( USDOJ: OTJ: FAQs About Native Americans ).

Note this passage:

Quote:
Tribes retain certain inherent powers of self-government as "domestic dependent nations."
This is much different than, say, the relation between the federal government and the states. In fact, in many cases, tribal law on the reservation trumps state law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico