Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 12:46 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,056 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but the DOJ web site has done some very selective quoting. Marshall went on to write that these "domestic dependent nations" are "in a state of pupilage. Their relation to the United States resembles that of a ward to his guardian"

Oh, my goodness -- sometimes the government misleads us. Who can we trust?

The more complete quote puts the Indian reservations in a weaker position than the states vis-a-vis the federal government. Any sovereignty that the reservations have is in relationship to the states -- not in their relationship with the federal government.

An interesting article on this subject concludes:

"The Direction Is Clear
At least two troubling aspects of the Court's treatment of the sovereign rights and powers of Indian tribes emerge from a look at the development of the doctrine of tribal sovereignty. First, the Court has moved away from the concept of intrinsic tribal sovereignty that predated the coming of the European conquerors, and has adopted the view that tribal sovereignty, and the concomitant freedom of the tribes from encroachments by the states, exists solely because Congress has chosen to confer some protections on the tribes.
Second, whatever the doctrinal underpinnings of tribal sovereignty may be, it is clear that the sovereignty of American Indian tribes has been progressively and systematically diminished by the actions of the federal government, including the Supreme Court."
The Supreme Court's changing stance on tribal sovereignty

A more up-to-date discussion is in Wikipedia -- although it lacks in text citations. Tribal sovereignty in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ultimate irony is Who decides exactly how "sovereign" the reservations are?? The United States Supreme Court -- a federal US court. And the Indian Nations -- by their multiple appeals to it have recognized its authority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 01:07 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,179,153 times
With lots of time wandering around on Navajo land and Pueblos, I have had only one personal experience with law enforcement. Out in the middle of nowhere, off 666 south of Shiprock, looking for the trailer of a silversmith, I had car trouble. Cell phone had no service so there we sat. After about an hour someone came by, Navajo police. The guy made a radio call to get a tow truck, gave us another bottle of water and chatted for a while. Couldn't have been nicer, but did ask us what the blazes we were doing out there. When we told him, he drew us a map to the smith's place, wished us well and went on his way. Altogether pleasant.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
With lots of time wandering around on Navajo land and Pueblos, I have had only one personal experience with law enforcement. Out in the middle of nowhere, off 666 south of Shiprock, looking for the trailer of a silversmith, I had car trouble. Cell phone had no service so there we sat. After about an hour someone came by, Navajo police. The guy made a radio call to get a tow truck, gave us another bottle of water and chatted for a while. Couldn't have been nicer, but did ask us what the blazes we were doing out there. When we told him, he drew us a map to the smith's place, wished us well and went on his way. Altogether pleasant.
Very nice to hear. Sounds like a nice guy.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:07 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,022,888 times
I think they re-named highway 666 a few years ago but I dont know what its called now.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:56 AM

946 posts, read 3,265,056 times
Smile The up-side

The good thing about the local pueblos and speeding tickets is that if you pay up then they will remember that they are sovereign with respect to the state of NM. I.e., they won't enter you into the state system -- you don't get points and your insurance company is not notified.

And to be truthful -- I think they only get people who are speeding. There are plenty of them

Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
desert sun, having a senior moment:

> ... re-named highway 666 ... dont know what its called now.

Rt-491

It was the sixth spur along Route 66.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:39 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I think they re-named highway 666 a few years ago but I dont know what its called now.
I had a boss once (a few years ago) who lived/worked in Denver and only was a semi-regular visitor to New Mexico, so I am not certain how accurate this is. However, he indicated that he thought that the reason NM 666 was renamed was that in the portion around Gallup, so many insanely drunken folks from the nearby reservations would in their stupor wander onto the highway and get creamed by a car.

To change, if nothing else, perceptions, the highway was renamed.

I have no idea if that is just urban legend, etc., but that is the story he shared with me.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:46 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
... reason NM 666 was renamed was that in the portion around Gallup, so many insanely drunken folks from the nearby reservations would in their stupor wander onto the highway and get creamed by a car. ...
I recall that the reason it was changed was that some superstitious people didn't like the connotation of 666 being "the number of the beast" (the devil).

I've spent many happy times driving up and down 666 and always thought it was cool seeing the devil's mark. I'm not superstitious though. I thought it was stupid to change the number for irrational reasons. It's still the same highway no matter what you call it.

BTW I've spent lots of time on the rez and I've hardly ever seen any rez police except at their cop shop in Window Rock. I would advise the following to avoid trouble:

1. Don't drink and drive. Don't drink in public.

2. Don't break the speed limit. Don't litter.

3. Unload and put away firearms for transport.

4. Obey all the signs and if one says keep out, believe it! Do not drive on unmaintained roads without permission.

5. If you encounter any historic, cultural or archaeological artifacts or remains, leave them alone. Look but do not touch.

6. If you have any doubt about anything, get advice in advance before doing it.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:58 PM

99 posts, read 455,716 times
When you deal with the Rez, you are not dealing with State or US courts. State or US law does not apply to the NDN's. You break a law on the Rez and you answer to the Tribal Court and the Tribal law. The Rez is an INDEPENDENT NATION. Just the same as if you cross the border and break a Mexican law--you deal with the Mexican court.

Best way to deal with the Tribal Po lice is to contact them first about your intent to do whatever and get their instructions then follow them to the letter. Remember, you will not repossess anything from the Rez, and you will not extradite anyone from the Rez, and your testimony doesnt mean squat to their court.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:37 PM

261 posts, read 935,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim West View Post

The Rez is an INDEPENDENT NATION. Just the same as if you cross the border and break a Mexican law--you deal with the Mexican court.

Not exactly. Felonies are handled by the FBI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico