Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 PM

42 posts, read 283,046 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to get as much information on Silver City as possible. Moving there has become a possibility and I'm wondering what I'm getting into. Thanks for anything you can tell me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 10:48 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
From this page:

Terms of Service - City-Data Forum
Do not post the same message to multiple forums, this is cross-posting and multiple posts will be removed.

From other pages. Please use the search function.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:08 AM

42 posts, read 283,046 times
Is this some kind of major infraction? With my 40 posts I'm sort of a newbe here, sorry. I'm guessing there's a Silver City thread already????????? I'll search for it now.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgolfer View Post
Is this some kind of major infraction? With my 40 posts I'm sort of a newbe here, sorry. I'm guessing there's a Silver City thread already????????? I'll search for it now.
Don't worry about it ftgolfer, that's why there are erasers on pencils. I've been to Silver City once, about three years ago. Other than Western NM University, and some tourist-related enterprises, I don't know how much in the way of employment is there, other than retail-based employment. But, wow, what a beautiful area. Tourists use it as an anchor city to explore the Gila, etc.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,585 times
yes, silver city is picturesque. but no law enforcement & gangs rule. if you can afford it, buy outside the town.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:09 PM

7 posts, read 21,083 times
Gangs? This is distrubing news. Please explain.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:49 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversally View Post
yes, silver city is picturesque. but no law enforcement & gangs rule. if you can afford it, buy outside the town.
That comes as a surprise to me too. I've only been there once, but the impression I got was quiet & safe.

We were there around Thanksgiving, and walked down the main drag around 10pm. It reminded me of one of those tiny towns in Spain, eg. Badajoz. Where you're walking down a deserted street @ 2am...and all of a sudden a small group of people come walking down the street, talking & laughing, perhaps just out of a local bar...and just as quietly disappear into the night. Totally the same vibe, and it felt good.

But it was just one experience, and I could be way off the mark.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:00 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeofarkansas View Post
Gangs? This is distrubing news. Please explain.
Every town has crime as does Silver City is but i do not believe it's any different than most NM towns that size.

I have never lived there but have visited over the years and i never noticed anything bad as a visitor.

6/3

Old 09-16-2008, 11:34 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,591,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I have never lived there but have visited over the years and i never noticed anything bad as a visitor.
Me neither... visited a bunch of times and loved it. There is some gang stuff going on and there are probably a few meth labs about, but not particularly crime ridden, that's for sure.

BTW ftgolfer... you might offer what you are wishing for in a town and what your priorities are. If you don't don't know, then it is a good thing to find out well before you select a town to move to.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:54 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
We lived there for 17 months, if you love the outdoors it is a nice place to be. If not then there is not alot to do. It does have the college. I had kids in 3 different schools and gang issues was not any worse than anywhere else we have lived, nor were drug problems. The only issue for us was housing we didn't want to buy and there was not alot to rent. It seemed to me that housing was relatively exensive considering what the town offers in the way of employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico