Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,211 times

Advertisements

I am not trying to be mean. Please do not move here! We have been overloaded in Santa Fe by people moving here from California, Texas and New York. You are driving up the prices, increasing the population and congesting traffic.

If you are from any other state and considering moving here, please, no. Thank you and good luck on your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 05:54 PM

837 posts, read 1,709,827 times
Virtually every state that I considered for retirement CA, CO, NM, OR, WA has a similar problem. I grew up in California and loved it, couldn't imagine living anywhere else. But, it's an entirely different place now--overcrowded and too expensive. People have been flooding into CA since well before my parents moved there from Kansas in the 1950s. And, they come from not just the midwest, but seemingly every country on the globe. People want to live in a beautiful place and the rich who can afford to move to CA drive prices up.

I loved living in northern NM while working in Los Alamos in the late 90s, but real estate, in the places I would find livable, costs more and more as folks move to that beautiful state. Same thing in Colorado, Oregon and Washington state, and I'll bet it's true of many states I did not consider. I finally picked a state (NE) because it has a relatively small population, lots of open spaces, and an affordable city.

Guess what. Housing tracts and business parks are sprouting up in what used to be cornfields and the cost of living is climbing. Still well behind the coastal states, NM or AZ.

I feel your pain, but what's the solution?

Old 10-03-2020, 06:55 PM

5,575 posts, read 6,500,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMex2020 View Post
I am not trying to be mean. Please do not move here! We have been overloaded in Santa Fe by people moving here from California, Texas and New York. You are driving up the prices, increasing the population and congesting traffic.

If you are from any other state and considering moving here, please, no. Thank you and good luck on your move!
I feel the same way about Texas. Don't move here, either.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:38 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,167 times
Besides shutting the border forever and making procreation illegal too, people will keep coming. Maybe me. However currently I am in Michigan and I do like how the population has not grown, how housing is affordable, and how there are many wide open spaces once out of Detroit metro.

Old 10-04-2020, 01:31 PM

86 posts, read 92,583 times
Meh. Though I pretty much grew up in NM I was born in CA and watched it go down the crapper, in no small part due to the incessant influx of people. I understand where you're coming from but I have little sympathy.

It seems like most of the same people complaining about this are somehow also in favor of mass immigration.

Last edited by D-Doc; 10-04-2020 at 01:42 PM..

Old 10-04-2020, 02:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Great 1st post. Wonder if we will ever see OP again...

Anyway, that cat is out of the bag. Santa Fe's real estate market has been infected by gentrifiers since the 80s.

Old 10-04-2020, 02:47 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMex2020 View Post
HA I heard Santa Fe was a dump with all kinds of crime.

I hope that this spurs some new cities in the West. I find the entire area to be massively under populated. We need some new cites and population centers so there isn't congestion.

Old 10-04-2020, 03:30 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
HA I heard Santa Fe was a dump with all kinds of crime.

I hope that this spurs some new cities in the West. I find the entire area to be massively under populated. We need some new cites and population centers so there isn't congestion.
Planned cities out in the desert with no water, no agriculture, and no jobs? Sounds like something from the Kim Jong-Un School of Urban Planning.

Old 10-04-2020, 03:46 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Santa Fe is always changing. My first encounter was in the 1970s and I heard people say it was ruined after that. When I moved back I had to agree and chose not to live there. It is a nice place to visit.

Money talks and developers and builders are mostly building for the big spenders and some newcomers have no idea of what to spend on a home.

Old 10-04-2020, 07:20 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Doc View Post
Meh. Though I pretty much grew up in NM I was born in CA and watched it go down the crapper, in no small part due to the incessant influx of people. I understand where you're coming from but I have little sympathy.

It seems like most of the same people complaining about this are somehow also in favor of mass immigration.
Funny, I had the same thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico