Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:55 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,226 times

Advertisements

There is lots of green where I am.

Our lot is covered with juniper and piñon trees, our yards have green bushes and trees; in the city, there are lots of trees. What we don't have is the lush green grass that we had in Kansas and back east. That is a sacrifice you make for living here where our "lawn" is blue grama grass that does not get full and green. We have plants, but they are drought resistant low moisture-requiring xeriscape plants - but they ARE green.

There are benefits to the desert climate - my retired hubby does not have to mow the grass every few days like he did in hot humid Kansas; and everything here is low maintenance. And as others have said, when you go into the mountain areas, you will see lots of green, including pine and aspen trees as beautiful as anything you see in other parts of the country.

Anyone who is happy living in "emerald green Pennsylvania" probably wouldn't want to consider relocating to New Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
There is an amazing amount of 'green' in NM, different, yes, from what you see in the rest of the country, but it is definitely here. Giant agaves, towering ocotillo, pine trees, cottonwood trees, palm trees, yucca, aloe, cacti, rosemary - and lots of them bloom in the most remarkable colors and shapes. I see something new everyday.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 AM

One of my favorite "greens" in NM are the chamisa plants which grow like weeds in my area. Chamisa has a silvery gray green color and I like it ... and when it blooms in the fall (yellow flowers) it smells wonderful.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:02 AM

946 posts, read 3,265,056 times
I'm not laughing but why come here if you love green? Have you thought about Vermont? The state is named after the color?

I hope that this does not seem unfriendly -- I don't mean it that way. Just perplexed.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:57 PM

429 posts, read 1,476,884 times
the first thing my husband said when we started touring the area for homes "I can sell the tractor - I won't have to mow". Seeing how we mow every 2-3 days if it stops raining long enough, he is STILL doing the happy dance on the 'SW Natural Lanscapes" we saw. He had a 'green is better' mentality too until we bought 5 acres up here - now every time its sunny we are mowing like mad to get it cut and manageable for the next round of rain.

We love brown; brown is our friend. :-P

Old 06-10-2008, 03:04 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
I've said this before and won't ever grow tired of doing so:

In NM, green is more of an accent then a color scheme.

--------------------------------------------------------

If you absolutely crave green, moving to any part of the
Rocky Mountain West is a very unwise thing to do.

Even at high elevations, the green is not a lush, but rather is a
'dry' green with lots of soil still visible vis-a-vis parts back East.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:10 PM

215 posts, read 839,776 times
The last time I saw a post here about whether there's any green in NM, I went outside and took some pics to share. At the time, it was the summer rainy season and the green was lush. A couple of summers ago, we got 30 inches in two months and I felt like I was in Vancouver.

These days we're seeing some of the driest weather since I moved here almost four years ago. It's also been very windy, yet there's still plenty of green. See the attached photos. I took these just a few minutes ago in the Lincoln NF. If you're looking for green places to move to, check out Ruidoso in the south and regions beyond Santa Fe in the north.

Last edited by jecc; 09-16-2008 at 06:05 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 03:26 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,847 times
Talking Lots of Green in New Mexico

When I think of New Mexico, I think of only two colors, and one of them is green . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Can We Find Some Green In NM?-green.jpeg  

Old 06-10-2008, 03:32 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,776 times
I can live without the green grass and flowers and all that, it's the WHITE that I need to thrive out here. Last year was a killer season, and I hope we see more of the same this winter. Just biding my time working hard all summer and then it's time to start praying for snow. About 5 more months, and with any luck I will be back on my boards.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
When I think of New Mexico, I think of only two colors, and one of them is green . . .
domino ... LOVED your post!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico