Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 12:48 PM

946 posts, read 3,268,988 times

Advertisements

People have mentioned the mountains are green areas. Another set are some of the areas along the rivers. The ground is naturally a little moister there and irrigation adds to that.

A place like Embudo comes to mind, but I am sure there are many others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 02:13 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,163,124 times
Default Don't laugh and call me a dork....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
well, you can, but find something else to do it over, lol.
Hahahahahah!!! You dork!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist it. Lucky you aren't wearing a "kick me" sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
There is lots of green where I am.

Our lot is covered with juniper and piñon trees, our yards have green bushes and trees; in the city, there are lots of trees. What we don't have is the lush green grass that we had in Kansas and back east. That is a sacrifice you make for living here where our "lawn" is blue grama grass that does not get full and green. We have plants, but they are drought resistant low moisture-requiring xeriscape plants - but they ARE green.

There are benefits to the desert climate - my retired hubby does not have to mow the grass every few days like he did in hot humid Kansas; and everything here is low maintenance. And as others have said, when you go into the mountain areas, you will see lots of green, including pine and aspen trees as beautiful as anything you see in other parts of the country.

Anyone who is happy living in "emerald green Pennsylvania" probably wouldn't want to consider relocating to New Mexico.
Yeah, that's a good, accurate and well balanced description of the NM that I know. You can't decide that you like greenery then decide to move to NM and then want greenery there. It doesn't work that way. The greenery in NM is the trees, not the lawns.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:00 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,254,951 times
lol, thanks for the pokin'... I guess it's like something we kids used to do- slap the FAR (yeah, I went there :-) out of someone 'cause we liked them.

I guess we'll see how it goes when we get there. It's kinda neat that some of y'alls mountain pics look like some around here.

I just can't wait to GO. Man, I hope this works. I've hinged SO much on this trip. Nine more days to go........

Old 06-11-2008, 04:46 PM

286 posts, read 1,323,433 times
I go back and forth between Northern NM and ABQ, and I am always amazed at how varied the terrain is here. We are green, green, green right now. Of course, we had so much snow, I'm enjoying it. But, I love heading to ABQ and seeing sunset over the Sandias - gotta love that pink color!

Ramblin, please let your hubby know if he misses the green, he's welcome to come up to my house. We have 3 acres and DH insists on mowing - I'd leave it, but he worries we'll lose the kids in the tall grass! One day out mowing and your husband will LOVE Xeriscaping! Enjoy the trip!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:03 AM

Oh, but Kensgirl- he mows about five acres now and LOVES it. So much so that he bought a zero turn and mows at the speed of light! lol

Hey... maybe that's it... maybe he'll drop that silly cellphone career he's invested so much time in an mow lawns for a living! lol

Old 06-12-2008, 08:57 AM

286 posts, read 1,323,433 times
See, we lived in Florida, where you have to mow twice a week in the summer, SOLD the tractor mower when we moved to ABQ (hubby did a dance!), and then had to buy another one when we got up here. We really loved the xeriscaping in ABQ and were sorry to leave it! Much easier to maintain! But, if you move out here....your DH can come and get his mowing fix in anytime he likes!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:00 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,036,595 times
My hubby liked to mow too, but after 40-some years it gets old.

He gave his mower to our son in Missouri when we moved, and he brought an old push mower and his weed-wacker to take care of the little bit of lawn and trimming we have now.

MOWER FREEDOM!!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 07:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,859,471 times
Grass should be cut twice a summer, baled and sold. I hate wasting my time mowing a lawn. This is one of the reasons we still live in a condo. Painting and roofing are two others.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:26 AM

Hear, hear, GregW!
But then I have horses, so i'm biased. lol
Here in Tn once a week is pretty normal, he'd probably do twice a week if he could!
I mowed at the old house with a john deere rider. It was actually enjoyable, especially mowing by the old apple tree next to the garage. It sat on a little incline, and everytime I mowed by it, I could pretend I was on a saddle bronc, lol! All the apples on the ground and a small incline made for an interesting mowing!

You shoulda seen him the first time he mowed with the BRAND NEW, commercial grade zero turn. You'da thunk he was a pinball, the way he ricoheted off things! Now it's a artform, zoom, zoom- the flick of a wrist sends the mower into a different direction- now braking, spinning in place to start anew.... it's kinda fun to watch. lol

Old 06-15-2008, 03:09 PM

702 posts, read 2,297,739 times
I'm wondering why anyone would expect to find lush areas of greenery in a mostly desert region. It's brown here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico