Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:45 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,261,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
You won't see much green in NM unless someone has been watering, or it is in or near a forest or in the mountains. We have very little precipitation annually, and sunny days. How would you get anything green from that? There are some weeds around, but otherwise you should be able to love brown if you live here.
Yeah, I figured it was in the mountains, I just didn't know if it was anywhere in the mountains or specific areas.

The only thing watered here is the horses and dogs and the veggie garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
I'm not laughing but why come here if you love green? Have you thought about Vermont? The state is named after the color?

I hope that this does not seem unfriendly -- I don't mean it that way. Just perplexed.

Who me? I can't breathe in humidity higher than 50%, no matter the drug, no matter the treatment. I HAVE to have low humidity or i'll be on oxygen by the time i'm 33.

I personally don't mind the brown- at least I don't think I will. There's so much to see, so much variation.
My husband, is concerned about how he'll feel about no green. Like I said, most of the googled pics we've seen are either of buildings or rock formations, etc.
The first pics I saw on the NM pics thread with green in them kinda surprised me.
I do have to say, whomever shot that snow pic with the spreading tree and the fencerow (I think?) it looks like a painting.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecc View Post
The last time I saw a post here about whether there's any green in NM, I went outside and took some pics to share. At the time, it was the summer rainy season and the green was lush. A couple of summers ago, we got 30 inches in two months and I felt like I was in Vancouver.

These days we're seeing some of the driest weather since I moved here almost four years ago. It's also been very windy, yet there's still plenty of green. See the attached photos. I took these just a few minutes ago in the Lincoln NF. If you're looking for green places to move to, check out Ruidoso in the south and regions beyond Santa Fe in the north.

Thanks, jecc.

We thought about Ruidoso, but don't know what the tourist scene is like.
We live near Sevier County (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge) and have worked and owned a restaurant there. I do not look fondly on bumper to bumper traffic and a constant stream of tourons. We'll be visiting Ruidoso next week, though.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:55 PM

lol, I love it Domino!

Yeah, Vingeroon, I want to see some white. Our white here really isn't even white when it falls from the sky. Then it gets maybe 15 minutes before it's gone.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:05 PM

215 posts, read 841,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Thanks, jecc.

We thought about Ruidoso, but don't know what the tourist scene is like.
We live near Sevier County (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge) and have worked and owned a restaurant there. I do not look fondly on bumper to bumper traffic and a constant stream of tourons. We'll be visiting Ruidoso next week, though.
In summer and again during good ski seasons, the main avenue in Ruidoso can get quite busy, but it's not like a beach town on the Fourth of July or anything. I guess you'll see for yourself next week. At 7,000 feet, the town is a nice mix of green and low humidity.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:08 AM

717 posts, read 1,958,940 times
Taos is very green in the summer months and the horses grow fat. The Gila Forest by TorC is spectacular and quite green. Grass may be generally in short supply...but who cares? Give me mesquite!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:53 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,384,907 times
There is always green spray paint.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 AM

lol, say it with KRYLON!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:45 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,955,629 times
Pick a green screen saver and play it on the HD TV. When we visited Cloudcroft and Rt 180 west of Silver City it was quite green and well forested. The mountains east of Albuquerque are more so. Lot’s of green in NM along with very dry air.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:22 PM

146 posts, read 441,329 times
DH is now in Alamo - and he said that he was pleasantly surprised to find it more green than the rest of the state that he's travelled through so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico