Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 AM

9,384 posts, read 20,872,464 times

Advertisements

New Mexico has the highest % of Catholics of any state west of the Mississippi River. If your argument is based on religion (Baptists) this somewhat debunks that notion. Also, Catholicism is very left of center politically when it comes to economic theory. Accordingly, I view many New Mexicans as left of center when it comes to economic issues, and somewhat right of center on moral ones. Higher Catholic population = in most cases, more votes for Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 10:54 AM

946 posts, read 3,271,711 times
Default No

I have been here three years now mostly in the Santa Fe area and have traveled around and spent some time in Las Vegas. I can't remember ever hearing a southern accent.

I lived a year in Atlanta and heard a lot of southern accents.

It's hard for me to think that NM is southern if I never hear a southern accent in the capital.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:07 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,052,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
I have been here three years now mostly in the Santa Fe area and have traveled around and spent some time in Las Vegas. I can't remember ever hearing a southern accent.

I lived a year in Atlanta and heard a lot of southern accents.

It's hard for me to think that NM is southern if I never hear a southern accent in the capital.

Las Vegas isnt east enough, you have to go to places like Roswell,Portales,Clovis,Hobbs,Lovington.Tucumcari, places in that area.I have heard many people with that texas twang in their talk from back home in Portales and I have heard it in the other cities also, but so many people from Texas are always in the nearby NM towns so maybe the New Mexicans pick it up a little,my sister has lived in Portales her whole life and in some words has that twang in it.

A lady at work once told me"have you noticed when you get east of Santa Rosa everyone starts talking country like"

Old 06-12-2008, 12:17 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,043,934 times
I still don't understand the concept...

Even if Portales is in the eastern part of the state .... EVEN if it is close to West Texas ... EVEN if there are a lot of Texans living in eastern NM ...

I am still unable to see the reason for calling NM a "southern state."

I really don't even consider Texas a "southern state".

Old 06-12-2008, 01:40 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,052,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I still don't understand the concept...

Even if Portales is in the eastern part of the state .... EVEN if it is close to West Texas ... EVEN if there are a lot of Texans living in eastern NM ...

I am still unable to see the reason for calling NM a "southern state."

I really don't even consider Texas a "southern state".

I was just replying to one of the previous posts about the accent,I dont consider any part of New Mexico southern but I do consider east Texas southern though.Eastern NM is what I consider a Texas western style.

Here is a pic showing regional accents,but I dont know if I agree.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r90/jaredtorre/accentpic.jpg?t=1213299346 (broken link)

Old 06-12-2008, 02:19 PM

59 posts, read 172,619 times
Another thing you guys have to remember, the Southwest has a lot in common with the South. After New Mexico and the other states were annexed by the US a lot of the first American settlers there were Southerners. It's only natural that they feel similar.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:20 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,043,934 times
desert sun:

I wasn't replying to your post in particular, just this thread in general ....

Old 06-12-2008, 02:30 PM

104 posts, read 377,247 times
New Mexico / Arizona / Southern California are mostly Catholic if anything. Today 40% at least of population are Hispanic origin and Catholic. Historically that influence was even greater. The majority of these lean to the left making NM a Blue state. This has seen change in recent years, 1-3 yrs, as more people see themselves more and more as conservative. High crime and poor public school systems have contributed to this change. (IMHO)

Old 06-12-2008, 03:03 PM

946 posts, read 3,271,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMarvin View Post
Another thing you guys have to remember, the Southwest has a lot in common with the South. After New Mexico and the other states were annexed by the US a lot of the first American settlers there were Southerners. It's only natural that they feel similar.
My impression is that many of the first settlers from the US came down the Santa Fe Trail. Many were traders or ex-trappers who turned their attention south with the failure of the fur trade. That would make them a fairly cosmopolitan group who were not particularly identified with any section of the US.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:33 PM

59 posts, read 172,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
My impression is that many of the first settlers from the US came down the Santa Fe Trail. Many were traders or ex-trappers who turned their attention south with the failure of the fur trade. That would make them a fairly cosmopolitan group who were not particularly identified with any section of the US.
I shouldn't have said first. I meant after the US annexed the area from Mexico. After that a great deal of Southerners (and their slaves) moved westward. The movement of Southerners westward was one of the contributing factors to the Civil War, since Northerners wanted to contain slavery to that area. When the CSA was formed they claimed western territory. http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/b/bf/550px-Map_of_CSA_4.png (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico