Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:53 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMarvin View Post
I shouldn't have said first. I meant after the US annexed the area from Mexico. After that a great deal of Southerners (and their slaves) moved westward. The movement of Southerners westward was one of the contributing factors to the Civil War, since Northerners wanted to contain slavery to that area. When the CSA was formed they claimed western territory.
They didn't have it long at all as the Battle of Glorieta Pass in 1862 the Union defeated the Confederates and they retreated back to Texas and eventually to the south. This was settled mainly by non southern Anglos after Gen Kearny conquered Santa Fe in 1848 from the Mexicans in the Mexican/American War.

New Mexico is definately not an ''Southern'' state in any sense. Whether it's Music, Food, Home styles etc..as the customs and ways are totally different than the south. I know this personally as my bloodline is Southern (NE Florida/SE Georgia for 200 years ) and yet i've also been a resident here in NM since 1970 as a 1st grader so i'm well versed in both cultures.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 06-12-2008 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 04:13 PM

59 posts, read 172,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
They didn't have it long at all as the Battle of Glorieta Pass in 1862 the Union defeated the Confederates and they retreated back to Texas and eventually to the south. This was settled mainly by non southern Anglos after Gen Kearny conquered Santa Fe in 1848 from the Mexicans in the Mexican/American War.
But they did have it/wanted it. Since southern New Mexico was populated by mostly Texans they tried several times to secede and they rebelled against the northern government Santa Fe, as it was loyal to the Union. There were a some Southern loyalists in the New Mexican government, too. In 1861 when congress was debating the Crittenden Compromise that would expand slavery through New Mexico to the Pacific it was New Mexico's delegate to congress that aligned himself with the South and tried to get it passed. But you are right, after the battle the war in the Southwest was pretty much over. It was just limited to small skirmishes. I'm not saying New Mexico is Southern, I'm just saying that it does have some Southern roots.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:57 PM

898 posts, read 2,562,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Can't add much as everyone pretty much answered that but compared to the south .....there is no comparison. I have lived in NE Florida and have familiy in SE Georgia and trust me New Mexico is not like the deep south. Yes Eastern NM is more conservative but my feel of the conservatives out there are more of the Libertarian (sp) type than the religious types. I think alot of the ranchers and farmers out there like the openess of the land and also freedom from Gov intrusion. That's not to say that there are not some hard core religious groups but as a whole it's low.

Anyway that's my take from living in New Mexico and Florida in my life.
Yeah my father grew up in artesia and I've definitely got the libertarian vibe from alot of people in the southeastern area of the state. I dont know if its the desert landscape or wide open spaces like you said, but people seem to want to be left alone. And i wouldnt consider NM anything but a southwestern state----I see no signs of a southern state.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:05 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
i wouldnt consider NM anything but a southwestern state----I see no signs of a southern state.
Exactly. EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY.

I completely agree with your post. I gave you rep points for it.

And I am a Spurs fan, too!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMarvin View Post
Another thing you guys have to remember, the Southwest has a lot in common with the South. After New Mexico and the other states were annexed by the US a lot of the first American settlers there were Southerners. It's only natural that they feel similar.
The first ones maybe -- but in much of the SW, you hear the Midwest accents much more than the Southern drawls. There are places in the SW where it seems every other person you meet is from somewhere in the Midwest.

I think too --- 100 years ago there weren't many people period in the SW. There might have been a handful of Southerners' descendents but they've been outnumbered in recent decades.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:03 PM

898 posts, read 2,562,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Exactly. EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY.

I completely agree with your post. I gave you rep points for it.

And I am a Spurs fan, too!
Thanks and awesome! We are all happy Spurs fans tonight since the Lakers just lost after being up 21. LOL

Old 06-13-2008, 07:40 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,361,929 times
I've always thought of New Mexico as a southwestern state. To me, southern state would be Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, and so on. What few folks I have talked to from NM have no accent whatsoever. Now, my friend in NC is a different story. LOL
I wish someone would teach geography to airline folks though. I called several to get quotes on flying my cats out with me and one woman insisted its an international flight. Told her we definitely would not be flying with them, as who knows where we might end up!!! Not sure if which she thought was not a state, Maine or New Mexico.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:13 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,872,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I'm not kidding. You have high baptist populations in the eastern plains counties, it's very conservative, has a lot in common with Texas and Oklahoma.
NO. N-O. Even Texas, other than the far eastern part along the coona** state line, isn't really "southern."

I had to live and work in MS before I realized that Texas and the rest of the Southwest, including New Mexico, were not southern at all. I've also spent quite a bit of time in LA over my lifetime.....there is a southern state if there ever was one as well.

But New Mexico? Don't think so.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:32 PM

170 posts, read 648,594 times
Hmmm well when I think Southern states I think population, a ton of white and black people in Southern states yet here in NM whites are almost a minority compared to mexicans/hispanics. Everything about this state is just totally different to what is known as the "traditional" or "deep" South. We're Southwestern baby!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:12 PM

203 posts, read 714,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppybunn View Post
Hmmm well when I think Southern states I think population, a ton of white and black people in Southern states yet here in NM whites are almost a minority compared to mexicans/hispanics. Everything about this state is just totally different to what is known as the "traditional" or "deep" South. We're Southwestern baby!
Exactly right. The South ends near Palestine Texas. A place has to have the following to be southern:
Humidity
Lots of rivers and creeks
Dogwoods or Live Oaks
Hush Puppies (not the shoes)
the cultural interplay of African-Americans and Anglos
and Humidity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico