Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 11:06 PM

6 posts, read 5,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbus View Post
This must be a mapping error. Are you using an online map? If so can you link to said error. As a map geek I am VERY curious.
The Valencia County Assessor Parcel map. I can't believe... It all as changed from the last time I seen it. Witch was not that long ago. I did take some screen shot of it and I have it on another Computer. Now it has Rancho Rio right under the Borderline in Socorro County and different people own the land now. This was no error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:20 PM

6 posts, read 5,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbus View Post
This must be a mapping error. Are you using an online map? If so can you link to said error. As a map geek I am VERY curious.
do you know how to do coordinates? I have a map from 1961 and would really like to know the right coordinates on some land.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:51 PM

136 posts, read 141,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstme007l View Post
do you know how to do coordinates? I have a map from 1961 and would really like to know the right coordinates on some land.
No, not easily. Although I have studied GIS and with the right tools and input I could. I thought you were looking at online maps, not county parcel data.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:14 AM

136 posts, read 141,351 times
The County assessors parcel map defines for legal purpose what a parcel is and who owns it so it is by definition legally correct. It is the official inventory kept by the county so they know who to tax.

Some parcels have street address, some don't.
All parcels have a legal description something like Lot A2 of Subdivision Wonkers with replat of....

The process of creating parcels (lots of land) is called platting or replatting . Rights of way are also platted.
I am very sure that a parcel is clearly in one county or another. Parcels don't cross county boundaries, but rights-of-way can and do (think roads, power lines, etc.)

However an assessor map (or ANY map for that matter) does not legal define boundaries. Boundaries are only legally defined with a surveyors drawing--that is they must be surveyed.

How all of this helps you I don't know. I know replatting can be done through the district courts but I don't know the process.

I learned a lot going to school!
If there is a practical question you have-maybe I can help you.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:51 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,331 times
Just a note, aerial imagery often doesn't match up exactly with property lines. I'm not sure if that's the issue you are having, but the legal description and a survey are going to be correct. The aerial photo is an approximation of the location.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:25 PM
T S

1 posts, read 1,092 times
I was scammed by the Horizon Corp. long ago and have been paying the $5/year taxes. I asked what I could do to get rid of this .5 acre lot, including letting Valencia County take it for taxes. The County Clerk told me I could do that, but it would lower my credit score, as liens (leins?) would be filed in our names. Can't give it away. Can't sell it. Our only recourse is to die and have our kids NOT put it into their names. That way, if it affected our credit, it wouldn't matter.

Anybody want a .5 acre lot?

Old 07-18-2018, 07:48 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Larry Barker
Rattlesnake Acres: A tale of deceit, misrepresentation in the New Mexico desert
A year long KRQE News 13 Investigation

Quote:
VALENCIA COUNTY, N.M. (KRQE) - It's a vast weed-choked chunk of real estate larger in area than Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, and Las Cruces combined. The area, rural Valencia and Socorro Counties, where thousands of land purchasers were bilked and taxpayers lost millions. Welcome to ground zero to one of the largest land swindles in New Mexico history.
It's not Paradise, It's an Arroyo

To understand what happened there you need to go back some 50 years when the Tucson based Horizon Corporation bought up more than 200,000 acres of desolate grazing land between the Rio Grande and the Manzano Mountains. The property stretches from Los Lunas, south 24 miles into Socorro County.

Entire article which includes a video: https://www.krqe.com/news/investigat...ert/1306615981

And an older video from 2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=umQZkRzuPfU

Interesting, informative article and videos...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-18-2018 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-22-2018, 02:36 PM

250 posts, read 529,552 times
And those plots are still being sold on realtor.com and I assume every real estate web page.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:04 PM

3 posts, read 2,863 times
I have heard of these situations before, sadly the old saying "Buyer Beware" applies in this case.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 PM

250 posts, read 529,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Pines View Post
I have heard of these situations before, sadly the old saying "Buyer Beware" applies in this case.
Do YOU sell them?

Maybe you can help me find a plot where I can park my RV for the 6-7 months during what would be winter up north. Summer months would find me in higher elevations somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico