Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:15 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times

Advertisements

GPS should work. You just need a map with the coordinates of the lot, then you could go to that point with GPS. If you are provided the correct GPS Coordinates. Some people just put an approximate which they got from some other source.

Read post https://www.city-data.com/forum/37223904-post136.html

See if you can figure out the valencia map...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-02-2015 at 12:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:31 PM

Type : Land Parcel
Legal Description Unit 21, Block 470, Lot 12
APN#
Size 1 Acres
State : New Mexico
County : Valencia
General Location Rio Grande Estates Subdivision
GPS Coordinates 34.636146, -106.587199

Old 01-04-2015, 10:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Type : Land Parcel
Legal Description Unit 21, Block 470, Lot 12
APN#
Size 1 Acres
State : New Mexico
County : Valencia
General Location Rio Grande Estates Subdivision
GPS Coordinates 34.636146, -106.587199
Poncho, I am sure you are right, but the problem that may exist, many of the lots are in the middle of the middle, not even near a street, road or anything else. They are just a partial of land. We lived right on the Rio Grande sub division border. Much of the land is just not identifiable.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Poncho, I am sure you are right, but the problem that may exist, many of the lots are in the middle of the middle, not even near a street, road or anything else. They are just a partial of land. We lived right on the Rio Grande sub division border. Much of the land is just not identifiable.
You are correct.

The above post was unfinished. It was a lot for sale. The coordinates if plugged to Google Maps take you to a road. It does not go to a specific lot.

It could be identifiable if you had real coordinates and went out with a GPS.

The Valencia County Assessor Parcel Map which is mentioned a few posts back will show you the lot and other identifying data to include the owner name and address.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:46 AM

119 posts, read 206,930 times
I have to chime in here. I was just looking at a .5 parcel of land in Regina. The photos really tempted me, as I would like to live somewhere where I can actually look up and see stars at night. I don't mind the isolation. However I do bother to check as to what can be built, and whether there is water or access to water! I would never buy land that I could never live on!

Now to my second point. Sounds like many of these people bought land as an "investment". That's what got me into looking at land in the boonies, in the first place. The "investors" have totally destroyed where I live! They buy properties, then rent them out to anyone, and I mean anyone! My neighborhood here in Florida has become meth central! Do these slumlords care, not a damned bit!

You bought land, thinking you would get rich off of it. Well surprise! ;-)

Old 09-15-2015, 12:30 PM
CII

152 posts, read 223,689 times
Default Need to get water is only half

Be sure and check environmental regulations for having a septic system. The law here requires .8 acres before you can install a septic. All the water in New Mexico won't do you any good if you have no place to get rid of it.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:24 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CII View Post
Be sure and check environmental regulations for having a septic system. The law here requires .8 acres before you can install a septic. All the water in New Mexico won't do you any good if you have no place to get rid of it.
Rio Grande Estates are grandfathered in because they were platted before 1990.
(1/2 acre lots are the minimum under the exception).

Old 10-06-2015, 05:02 PM

25 posts, read 61,496 times
We were in the Belen area in August and drove around looking at the land out in the "subdivision". Now we're coming back to buy, in mid-October. We've been looking at the "buyers-sellers" page on the Socorro county website and are planning to contact some of the people on there, to ask how much they're selling for.

But here's the chance for anyone on here who owns land there, which they would like to sell cheap. Let me know and we'll talk. It would be a lot simpler if someone just jumped up and said "pick me! pick me!" and sold us their lots! (Am I allowed to put my email address on here? It doesn't reveal my identity or anything).

We have lived off-grid (Solar power, hauling water) for twelve years in Montana, in a log cabin on 20-acres, on a mountain in the woods, on a steep, winding "goat trail" of a one-lane dirt road. Love the lifestyle, just getting tired of 6 months of winter. We like the relative 'freedom' of New Mexico compared to tightly-regulated Arizona.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,591,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodswoman View Post
We have lived off-grid (Solar power, hauling water) for twelve years in Montana, in a log cabin on 20-acres, on a mountain in the woods, on a steep, winding "goat trail" of a one-lane dirt road. Love the lifestyle, just getting tired of 6 months of winter.
Just wanted to mention that even in the mountains of NM (particularly southern NM) you won't have winter anything like MT. It's very sunny here in winter, and not that cold.

And especially if you get farther from the cities and bigger towns, land is cheap. Unless you want to be close to town, you can find off grid land that is a lot prettier than Belen.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:58 PM

25 posts, read 61,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Just wanted to mention that even in the mountains of NM (particularly southern NM) you won't have winter anything like MT. It's very sunny here in winter, and not that cold.

And especially if you get farther from the cities and bigger towns, land is cheap. Unless you want to be close to town, you can find off grid land that is a lot prettier than Belen.

Yes, the milder climate is one of the attractive things about New Mexico! Farther from town or cities is fine with us. We're retired. Mainly we don't want to be too cold. We found a wonderful property at a good price, but it was at almost 8,000'. We don't want quite that much "winter".

Right now we're thinking we'll just take our time and do more looking. We'll come down and do our usual winter snowbirding and check out more areas over the winter and spring. And over the next several months, if anyone reads this thread and has some land they want to sell, they might consider contacting us and seeing if we can work something out. We're patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico