Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 09:01 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,305,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideagirl View Post
If the lack of water makes it too costly to build homes here, why does'nt some smart developed/ investor, maybe even the county, use the site to build solar power generators which then could sell the energy generated to surrounding towns and cities.
Smart developers wouldn't touch your idea with a 1,000' pole.

Have you ever seen the Rio Grande Estates area in person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,614 times
How much are 4 1acre plots in Rio Grande Communities being sold for?

Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greerriegel View Post
How much are 4 1acre plots in Rio Grande Communities being sold for?
are you talking about Rio Grande or Rio Communities: they are not quite the same: regardless they are not worth much because of the lack of water. We sold 3 lots about 2 years ago; they were smaller than what you are referring to, for $500 all three. We did sell them a little low, but on the other hand we did not even have them for sale, someone offered us the money and we had no reason not to sell. I know of churches, including the one we used to attend in Rio Communties that do not even want their parishers to leave the lots to the church.

Nita

Old 06-23-2012, 01:24 PM

471 posts, read 977,211 times
Default Rio Grande Estates

The area is totally naturally desolate. If there is even a dirt trail to remotely near most of the lots, you would be lucky. Most people bought these lots sight unseen from ads online or in print that show maps that indicate the subdivision is developed, with streets and defined property boundaries. The lots along Hwy 47 and 60 where the power lines run never seem to be for sale, people are hanging on to them. There are subdivisions here; Rio Communities, Chamesa (all double wide trailers only), and Las Marivillas that have a community water service set up, but outside these areas there is nothing but desert scrubland. The area is beautiful as a natural desert type place, but do not buy any of the thousands of lots for sale unless you see the area and know what you are getting into!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 11,044 times
Default Rio Grande Estates Unit 9

We have just purchased Lot 29, Block 374 in Unit 9 of Rio Grande Estates. We are wondering if anyone has any photos of this area showing this lot or has seen it. We want to know if this lot is level or hilly with rocks. We have looked at google earth maps and can't tell for sure, photo is not very clear.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:06 PM
N8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by know53586 View Post
We have just purchased Lot 29, Block 374 in Unit 9 of Rio Grande Estates. We are wondering if anyone has any photos of this area showing this lot or has seen it. We want to know if this lot is level or hilly with rocks. We have looked at google earth maps and can't tell for sure, photo is not very clear.

Thanks for your help.
You bought land (with no water rights) without seeing it?

Old 07-04-2012, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 11,044 times
Yes. Do not plan on drilling well. Will use underground cistern with water delivery or hauling ourselves.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 PM
N8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by know53586 View Post
Yes. Do not plan on drilling well. Will use underground cistern with water delivery or hauling ourselves.
I'm interested in knowing how that goes for you (I'm pretty sure that area gets 5"-6" or so of rain per year).

I'm out on that mesa fairly regularly target shooting & taking pix, and I've never seen any off the grid homes out there.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:49 AM

471 posts, read 977,211 times
Your lot is similar to all the rest of the area; flat sand with random weeds. One lot is extremely small, if you are serious about doing something with it, you may want to research ownership records and try to buy some adjoining lots too. There are only a few dirt trails in Rio grande estates, you would probably need to hire a surveyer to find the actual physical site of your lot, as well as plotting out the "official" access to it so you are not making a trail through someone elses land. Some people have used old tires to try to indicate where the roads are, but don't rely on them. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending how you look at it, it will be decades before the area looks much different than it does today, if ever. As an alternative, look at some of the lots for sale out on the west mesa west of Los Lunas and belen, some of them might be near power lines and nearer to real dirt roads and may be a more practical place to actually live. It gets windy there, but not all the time.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 12,970 times
Hi- I've been given the opportunity to acquire two lots in the Rancho Rio Grande East (Block 15, Lots 71 & 72). I'm basically picking them up for taxes and a small fee for paperwork from a childhood friend of my wife's whose father died, and she doesn't want or need these lots. I have read all the discussions with care, and everyone seems to be talking 1/4 and 1/2 acre lots. We've been told that these lots are 2.5 acres each! Can anyone confirm or deny this claim? They have not sent us the original paperwork yet, so I'm just fishing for as much advance information as I can. This property is in Valencia County.

Also, there is another lot, presumedly zoned commercial, in Socorro County (Block 1005, Lot 19), and I have no idea how big the lot is, but it DOES seem to be directly on Hwy 60. I presume that access to electricity would at least be possible here, but I don't know about water. Would it be feasible to build a small adobe adjoining this road?

I'm a desert lover, and would love to bring an RV down to the Rancho Rio Grande lots a couple times per year, but would also like to devise some "off the grid" way to get water and electricty to the pad. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Mike in Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico