Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaMarieA View Post
My father has a 1 acre parcel in Rio Grande Estates Unit 16 Block 546 Lot 21, my sister and I are planning a trip to Albuquerque and would like to find it. Any ideas?
Hi Diana -
Did you ever make the trip? I am very curious as to what you saw and found out.

We're in California and someone I know was just offered a Rio Grande lot for $15,000. It sounded like an enticing buy, being in New Mexico. I did find the 2005 NYT article on the worthlessness of the property. He does not have internet and asked me to check on the property, so I called the Valencia County assessor's office. They said that most of the lots are worth $300. When I did a Zillow search, there were more expensive properties (developed with houses) not too far away, so it must be very expensive to bring in power and water to the Rio Grande lots.

It would be great if you could share your observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 07:00 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Bright Vision of Rio Grande Estates

By Richard Melzer

Article

Valencia County News Bulletin-Sep 16, 2015

Many families who bought lots in Rio Grande Estates had no plans to move to New Mexico in the foreseeable future. But quite a few were eager ...

Entire article: Bright Vision of Rio Grande Estates | Features | news-bulletin.com

Old 11-18-2015, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,850 times
This all sounds like a bust. I'm paying $5 per year in prop taxes for a 1 acre lot I inherited from my usually financially prudent aunt. It almost sounds like I should quit paying and let it go? Not that I can't afford $5 per year. Husband and I were thinking of flying out from CA to look but that even sounds like a huge waste of time & money. True?

Old 11-18-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliB1961 View Post
This all sounds like a bust. I'm paying $5 per year in prop taxes for a 1 acre lot I inherited from my usually financially prudent aunt. It almost sounds like I should quit paying and let it go? Not that I can't afford $5 per year. Husband and I were thinking of flying out from CA to look but that even sounds like a huge waste of time & money. True?
1. See if you can sell it.

2. Come on out and look at it... Stay a few days and explore New Mexico. Plan Your Trip to New Mexico Today - New Mexico Tourism - Travel & Vacation Guide order the free guide, it's nice and free, you can also read it online...

Old 02-03-2016, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodswoman View Post
Yes, the milder climate is one of the attractive things about New Mexico! Farther from town or cities is fine with us. We're retired. Mainly we don't want to be too cold. We found a wonderful property at a good price, but it was at almost 8,000'. We don't want quite that much "winter".

Right now we're thinking we'll just take our time and do more looking. We'll come down and do our usual winter snowbirding and check out more areas over the winter and spring. And over the next several months, if anyone reads this thread and has some land they want to sell, they might consider contacting us and seeing if we can work something out. We're patient.

Hello,
Just wanted to reach out because of your post above. I will shortly own some lots in both Valencia and Socorro Counties. Threre was a gentlemen that acquired a ton or property in the area in the 1960 (along with everyone else, it seems) and now the family just wants to get rid of it. Some lots are better than others, and 4 of these lots are in what I humbly consider one of the best subdivisioins (NOT RIO GRANDE ESTATES). They are almost towards the base of the Manzano mountains, with good road access and good mapping from the county so they can be easily located (you can see the actual roads on Google Earth). They are in Valencia Co which maintains the roads, vs. Socorro Co, which does not in this area). If you haven't done so, I suggest peaking around on the picutres of the mountains on Google Earth. It will give a good idea of how pretty they are. Let me know thru this thread if you are interested in keeping in touch.

Goes to show, some people just appreciate nature, peace, solitude and starry skies! Love those kinds of folks.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-03-2016 at 01:38 PM..

Old 02-16-2016, 04:44 PM

471 posts, read 976,875 times
I used to live in Rio Communities and have gone all over and explored Rio Del Oro and Rio Grande Estates for several years. All I can say is visit the area and check it out. So much of the land has been used as a 4 wheeler paradise and trash dumping ground over the years that you may not really want to build out there. Looking at google sky view of these areas show outlines of cul-de-sacs and many roads, but most do not exist anymore, you just are seeing outlines that are not visible when walking or driving through the land at ground level. There are some parcels out towards the Mountainaire pass and Route 60 that have a 5 acre minimum and are heavily restricted, so if that is what you want, you may want to check into those. I recommend a 4x4 for those "county maintained" roads as you will come across deep sand and severe tumbleweed pileups blocking many trails and dirt roads when in season.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:24 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystarrysky View Post
Hello,
Just wanted to reach out because of your post above. I will shortly own some lots in both Valencia and Socorro Counties. Threre was a gentlemen that acquired a ton or property in the area in the 1960 (along with everyone else, it seems) and now the family just wants to get rid of it. Some lots are better than others, and 4 of these lots are in what I humbly consider one of the best subdivisioins (NOT RIO GRANDE ESTATES). They are almost towards the base of the Manzano mountains, with good road access and good mapping from the county so they can be easily located (you can see the actual roads on Google Earth). They are in Valencia Co which maintains the roads, vs. Socorro Co, which does not in this area). If you haven't done so, I suggest peaking around on the picutres of the mountains on Google Earth. It will give a good idea of how pretty they are. Let me know thru this thread if you are interested in keeping in touch.

Goes to show, some people just appreciate nature, peace, solitude and starry skies! Love those kinds of folks.
Manzano foothills is about the only area around there that would interest me. Aside from being a distance to services I guess there must be other reasons little is in that area as opposed to the west Sandia foothills.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldoryder View Post
Hi- I've been given the opportunity to acquire two lots in the Rancho Rio Grande East (Block 15, Lots 71 & 72). I'm basically picking them up for taxes and a small fee for paperwork from a childhood friend of my wife's whose father died, and she doesn't want or need these lots. I have read all the discussions with care, and everyone seems to be talking 1/4 and 1/2 acre lots. We've been told that these lots are 2.5 acres each! Can anyone confirm or deny this claim? They have not sent us the original paperwork yet, so I'm just fishing for as much advance information as I can. This property is in Valencia County.

Also, there is another lot, presumedly zoned commercial, in Socorro County (Block 1005, Lot 19), and I have no idea how big the lot is, but it DOES seem to be directly on Hwy 60. I presume that access to electricity would at least be possible here, but I don't know about water. Would it be feasible to build a small adobe adjoining this road?

I'm a desert lover, and would love to bring an RV down to the Rancho Rio Grande lots a couple times per year, but would also like to devise some "off the grid" way to get water and electricty to the pad. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Mike in Texas

I have a lot there too, I would like to see if I can start camping out there too. I am in the process of getting it surveyed. I want to build fences around it. Do you have some information on the directions how to get there?

Old 08-11-2017, 09:28 PM

6 posts, read 5,932 times
I was wondering if anyone knows when all the Land in West Belen, Socorro County was subdivided and if the Borderline between Valencia and Socorro county was ever moved? also, does anyone own land in Ranchos De Bernardo, Socorro County?

Old 08-11-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstme007l View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows when all the Land in West Belen, Socorro County was subdivided and if the Borderline between Valencia and Socorro county was ever moved? also, does anyone own land in Ranchos De Bernardo, Socorro County?
I do not know for sure.

There is a 36 page document in PDF format:
Accept Terms and Conditions on JSTOR

THE COUNTY BOUNDARIES OF NEW MEXICO
Author(s): CHARLES F. COAN
Source:
The Southwestern Political Science Quarterly,
Vol. 3, No. 3 (DECEMBER, 1922), pp.
252-286
Published by: Wiley
Stable URL: THE COUNTY BOUNDARIES OF NEW MEXICO on JSTOR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico