Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:55 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,587,137 times

Advertisements

They say you could have up to 12. Twelve is a very significant spiritual number. Jesus had 12 apostles; there are 12 signs in the Zodiac; there are 12 animals in Chinese astrology and there are 12 months in a years etc. I was told my 12 by various accurate readers are: WOLF, OTTER (RIVER); MARTEN, RED FOX, HORSE, SQUIRREL, BEAVER, HAWK, OWL, MOUNTAIN LION, KODIAK BEAR and either a small COYOTE or DOMESTIC DOG. By the way, no matter where I turn I always see squirrel. They are always scampering around in my yard especially the last 3 places where I lived. I always see commmercials on TV, sitcoms and ads in magazines involving the little critters. I have gone to many garage sale, flea market, and thrift store and picked up many plush toy and figurine squirrels for almost free! In fact a few years back I was getting off the bus coming home from work ( this was located in a busy part of a suburban area) I saw a mama squirrel about to give birth in the open and as I passed her she made no attempt to make flight. She was just outside of a big old tree. Recently I have saved the life of another one: my Beagle dog was scratching at the back door to let out. As I opened the door I saw a squirrel lounging in the backyard. I made loud noises to scare the critter away before I let the dog out and she was getting antsy. The squirrel had no intentions of leaving but just was making itself at home. I then screamed loud and the little animal looked at me and heeded my warning and finally took off. My dog was just about to plunge through the door and perhaps make that poor little thing a chew toy!

Last edited by otters21; 04-06-2010 at 10:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 07:54 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
Hadn't seen this thread until someone bumped it back up, but it's a good opportunity to promote two local ceramic artists who live in Capitan, New Mexico. Jerold Flores and Joyce Hastings collaborated in creating the animalistic ceramic sculptures seen in the attached photos. The photo was taken in a new gallery in Carrizozo that recently had its grand opening - Carrizozo Clay.

Attached Thumbnails
Animal Totems-dsc02292.jpg   Animal Totems-dsc02293.jpg  

Old 04-07-2010, 10:26 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Could you give us the link to that quiz?

I use to have crows around me, too. It seems to have disappeared now. I miss it. I always felt like they were trying to communicate something, but I never knew what. Crows are very intellegent animals, by the way. Could someone with Animal Speak look up crows for us? I got my mom a copy a few years ago, but she is in Wisconsin.

At least naysayers are being very witty and smart naysayers! I like it too.

Have you read any Terry Prachet books (the Disc World series)? The streetsweeper in those books is this crazy monk who is brilliant and can control time. He chose to be a streetsweeper because no one ever notices a "sweeper" and they are allowed everywhere. Sorry about the aside, just thought it was funny...
The crow is a spirit messeger- he is nothing to be scared of contrary to european belief

Old 04-07-2010, 10:41 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,313 times
This was taken from : Chickamauga Cherokee Teaching Council: Native American Symbol Totem Animals

Choosing a symbol totem animal based on Native American tradition is actually more about being chosen. It is lessons to be learned, guidance, spirituality and finding your path.
The idea of totem animals in the Native American tradition has been made famous from years of less than accurate books and movies. Classically everyone is a wolf or an eagle or some other noble beast and the idea of totem animals seems to be fraught with superstition. However, the idea has it's own basis in being similar to not only being provided with guides, similar in a sense to angels, but also in being guided or taught lessons. In addition we see similarities to astrology with it's use of animal symbolism, as well as animal symbolism woven through many religions and spiritual systems. Perhaps most shocking to the modern mind is the Jungian idea of Archetypes, universal symbols that can to a degree be looked at in conjunction with totem animal symbolism. Totems are a part of the spiritual path but also represent far more in their value for understanding cultural heritage as well as personality types, once totem animals were agreed upon.

First and foremost some common misconceptions about totem animals should be addressed. The idea that everyone is an eagle or a wolf or a bear, a mighty animal with the most wonderful of traits, animals that the person can choose for themselves based on their own opinions, is not part of the actual belief system. Numerous animals are considered a part of the system of totem animals and also may be dependent on the tribe or geographical area or tradition. Animals means different things to different tribes additionally. However for the sake of explanation whether it is a bear or an otter or a dog the animal that is most appropriate is actually thought to choose the person, not the other way around. Traditionally (once again depending on tribe or tradition) the person starts to see what appear to be coincidences or signs or omens concerning what animal is their appropriate animal.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:39 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
I believe also that it has to do with animals a person is attracted to in life and has a connection to them in some way. Other animals show up as needed to teach extra lessons in life.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:58 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
NOW SLOW DOWN and save the squirrels or you will be surrounded by them when you wake up tomorrow morning in your bed.
What do you suppose happens to all of the people in my town who run over the deer? My neighbor, who picks up dead deer for the village, has processed over 100 carcasses in the past six months. And he is but one of the people who deal with the dead animals here.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:00 PM

That would be a drag to be the only person to handle dead deer. Bet he dreams of them at night.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:59 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
The skinwalkers thread gave me this idea.

Do you all believe you have an animal totem(s)?
If so, list what your totem is.
One of my totems is the Bear.

(I posted this in the NM forum because of NM's spirituality.)
Does a single animal carved on an upright log qualify? I've seen many bear sculptures which were done with chainsaws up north in the Great Lakes region. It's unbelievable what some artists can do with everyday lawn and garden equipment.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:55 PM

I think that if you feel connected/attracted to that animal in any way, it can count as a totem. I have wood/log carvings of a bear and a raccoon but that's only because I believe these are some of my totems.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:14 PM

61 posts, read 129,265 times
I carry Snake Medicine myself - transmuting poisons (bad experiences, childhood traumas, etc.) into nourishment for the soul, and of course shedding skins along the way. I can't tell you how many times I've said that I felt like I just shed another skin and stepped forward into a new (something - life, attitude, understanding of the world) - even when I was little, that was a powerful metaphor for me, and I used it all the time. I was still surprised, though, when Snake emerged for me as my main guiding and guarding spirit; I had such a close relationship with many of the Winged Nation, I was sure it would be one of them. But no, it was Snake, in all her slithery glory. An interesting bit of info for people interested in this sort of thing (thinking of you, Song), that I learned from a man who raised Snakes: Snakes only shed their skins when they grow larger, and they only grow larger when they eat. Translating that into how a Human "walks with Snake," when you take in something new, some piece of information, or you have an experience that makes you "grow" in some way, then you become a new person, in a sense. You burst out of your old (pre-experience) skin and reveal the new one underneath. I like that, a lot.

And a word about totems in general: I've been a follower of the Native American lifeway for nearly 30 years now, and determining your totem in life - your central, forever, always with you spirit guide - isn't something that happens from reading a book. You don't choose your totem - your totem chooses you, and it's often a surprise, something other than what you expected. Your totem comes to you in dreams and visions, and if you have ready access to a variety of "wildlife," you will have experiences and intersections with them that will tell you they're "yours." There will be no mistaking it. If you're not sure, then you most likely have not yet determined who's with you; doesn't mean they're not there, just means you haven't figured out who they are yet. Our Relations come and spend time with us for a variety of reasons, we have lots of teachers and helpers along the way, and they change out over time, but there will be only one central totem, one central "medicine" that you carry, for your lifetime. The lesson your totem will have for you will often be one that you've found difficult to address in your life; this is not necessarily an easy, happy, let's have lunch kind of relationship, it will be one of teacher and student, of healer and person-in-need-of-healing. It will be challenging - which is "nice-speak" for HARD - and it will ask you to look deeper, go deeper, try harder, and most importantly, to CHANGE. Most of us don't want to do that; most of us want to be told that either it's okay that we're the way we are, or that we can't help being the way we are, but we absolutely don't want to be told that we have to CHANGE, oh my goodness no... but that's what our totem does for us, shows us how to walk the world in a different way and evolve into our highest and best selves.

Every culture that I've ever heard of - and I'm an anthropologist, so I've roamed fairly far in the culture world - assigns specific characteristics to each of our Relations (and it's interesting to note that these characteristics are often the same across wildly different, and widely separated, cultures), and believes in a two-way relationship between the Two Leggeds and the other Beings with whom we share the planet. It's only the modern, "educated" Human who thinks we have nothing to learn from them. THEY don't despoil the planet; THEY don't pollute or rape or kill for sport; THEY don't prey on each other the way we do - we would all do well to stop yammering about what we know all the time and start listening to what the other forms of life on this planet have to teach us. They are willing, if we ask with respect, listen to what they tell us, and then apply that learning in our lives. Like any teacher, however, they can sometimes tire of the insincere or unwilling-to-listen student and leave us to our own devices; a sad prospect.

Mitakuye Oyasin

SVG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico