Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:37 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,907,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
It's about 70 degrees here now. Nice and cool.
No a/c. No swamp cooler. Just fresh air coming through the windows.
Boy........just had to rub it in, didn't you...?

LOL!!

I can't wait for summer to be OVER. We have a long way to go, too....all of August/September...hopefully October will start cooling off!

But....it's still cooler than what I left!! Maybe we'll get lucky and it will rain more and stay overcast!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:31 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,618,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
BUT....as much as I love Alamogordo...and as beautiful as the area is, it would be better to live in an area where no cooling is needed at all.
I think Alamo gets cool enough at night (most of the time at least) that a house with good thermal mass and insulation, and few windows on the east and west sides wouldn't need cooling at all... except for opening the windows and maybe running a fan. Design the house with plenty of south windows and it wouldn't need much heat in the winter either. It isn't that complicated, but there don't seem to be very many developers/builders who consider these things.

Don't need cooling in Ruidoso, but it is a great place for solar heat in the winter... as is most of NM.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,103,614 times
In the Southwest (this is even true in Phoenix), the nighttime temperatures start to be cooler by the last week of August. This is due to the fact that there is simply less solar radiation available to heat things up.

Daylight on August 20th is approximately the same as daylight on April 20th.

It still gets hot during the day since the Monsoon season with it's elevated moisture levels is still around and the ground itself is warmer.

You'll still have uncomfortable days, but after sunset, things are noticeably different.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I think Alamo gets cool enough at night (most of the time at least) that a house with good thermal mass and insulation, and few windows on the east and west sides wouldn't need cooling at all... except for opening the windows and maybe running a fan. Design the house with plenty of south windows and it wouldn't need much heat in the winter either. It isn't that complicated, but there don't seem to be very many developers/builders who consider these things.

Don't need cooling in Ruidoso, but it is a great place for solar heat in the winter... as is most of NM.
Since my house is already built, no, those things can't be taken into consideration now.

My insulation is such that the AC doesn't run at night much with the thermostat set at 76. It's comfortable with 52-inch ceiling fans along with that AC. In the winter, the thermostat is set at about 66-68. When I forgot to get the them to come and get my roof-mounted gas furnace heat going (I'm used to 35 years of total electric) in late November (with temps below freezing at night), my house never got below 66 at any time.

Windows on the east side? My front room with the best view of the Sacramentos faces east, and it's the hottest room in the house. I may put in a tree later, but I don't think so.

I'm setting up my second desktop in the opposite guest room with windows facing south next summer. Even with that, it's so much cooler than this room that it's not even funny. I'll use the computer in here in the dead of winter.

The MBR has windows that face north, and yet it is the most comfortable room in the house all year long, even in the dead of winter. Go figure that one out.

I couldn't stand it if the nights didn't cool off like they do. I must be turning into a polar bear in my old age. Most evenings are quite breezy and pleasant, even in July!

I'll figure out how to get most of my coons all up one tree one of these days! I want a higher/cooler elevation, but I like the convenience of living in town. I'm still looking at properties around here at the high 5s-6,000 ft, but nothing yet says, "This is it!"

If you are comfortable with ceiling fans only inside when it is 103 outside, you are much more tolerant of heat than I am. It will still be close to 83 inside.

Yuck. But at least it is cooler and drier here than what I left in WT.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 07-31-2008 at 09:27 AM..

Old 07-31-2008, 02:40 PM

576 posts, read 2,310,753 times
I was thinking like it felt kind of humid today. Just checked--it's 101 degrees with 12% humidity. Guess I've acclimated!

~clairz

Old 07-31-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
I was thinking like it felt kind of humid today. Just checked--it's 101 degrees with 12% humidity. Guess I've acclimated!

~clairz
We're at 88 right now in Alamo with 33% humidity....getting cloudy and sprinkling a little...!

Old 07-31-2008, 02:48 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,982,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
We're at 88 right now in Alamo with 33% humidity....getting cloudy and sprinkling a little...!
Send some my way Cathy, don't hog all the rain girl.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Send some my way Cathy, don't hog all the rain girl.
LOL!! I will if we get some......it's drying almost as soon as it hits the driveway!!

Looks like it's just going to tease and go on its way......

Old 07-31-2008, 03:03 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,983,675 times
The humidity drives me nuts, too. I live in Albuquerque, and last week could've been described as pastey. I woke up one morning and wondered if I'd been teleported to Dallas. One hope is that the current humidity has been extra high due to Hurricane Dolly. It should mellow out to normal soon, especially if you live at the Northern NM elevation or Southwest NM desert.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:26 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,103,614 times
Humidity, like temperatures are relative.

In May, the daytime highs in the high 80's are hot and draining.

In late August or early September, those high 80's are positively crisp.

In NM, after the single-digit humidity in June, 20-30% feels positively tropical.

People in NM (me included) that complain about the weather are just whineybags.

Give me highs in the 50 and 60's and I'm just ducky.
I'll take a 45 degree high over 85 every time.
I'll also take 25 over 95 every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico