Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:18 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,629,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
My insulation is such that the AC doesn't run at night much with the thermostat set at 76. It's comfortable with 52-inch ceiling fans along with that AC.
I guess you do like it cool! In June when it was hotter and very dry, it got up to 84 in the house (Ruidoso)... which I consider OK. These days it gets up to the high 70s. At night we open all the windows and it cools down below 70 by sun rise. We are not in a well-designed house either, BTW.

Quote:
Windows on the east side? My front room with the best view of the Sacramentos faces east, and it's the hottest room in the house.
FEW windows on the east and west... as few as you can get away with. Those walls get a lot of sun in the summer. Considering that in the winter you don't want north windows, it's best to put windows mostly on the south side. Combined with good solar mass you can offset a lot of your heating costs, and with proper overhangs the sun won't shine in in the summer.

Quote:
I'm setting up my second desktop in the opposite guest room with windows facing south next summer. Even with that, it's so much cooler than this room that it's not even funny. I'll use the computer in here in the dead of winter.
Sounds like a ducting issue... maybe a leak... or maybe the dampers are partially closed in that room. Or is that room just farthest from the furnace?

Quote:
If you are comfortable with ceiling fans only inside when it is 103 outside, you are much more tolerant of heat than I am. It will still be close to 83 inside.
I would call that acceptable if it isn't too humid. We lived on Kauai for a couple of years and it was often 90+ degrees and 90% humidity in the house in the evenings... not fun... with only ceiling fans for relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 04:27 PM

4,262 posts, read 9,304,177 times
[quote=mortimer;4681821]
People in NM (me included) that complain about the weather are just whineybags.

quote]

How true this is, for all my whining about the couple of months of humidity I have to admit weather is NM is pretty nice overall. I think if I had refrigerated air it probably wouldn't faze me. If we decide we aren't moving next summer to the east coast then we will get a/c and you won't hear me complaining. Although I do have to admit this afternoon has been pretty nice considering it was supposed to be in the high 90's and feel like 101. Now if it would just stay cloudy until the end of Aug. My husband says I am big whiner since I was born and raised in South Texas, where at 2 a.m. it wasn't unusual in the summer to see the temps at 102 with at least 90% humidity.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,930,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I guess you do like it cool! In June when it was hotter and very dry, it got up to 84 in the house (Ruidoso)... which I consider OK. These days it gets up to the high 70s. At night we open all the windows and it cools down below 70 by sun rise. We are not in a well-designed house either, BTW.

FEW windows on the east and west... as few as you can get away with. Those walls get a lot of sun in the summer. Considering that in the winter you don't want north windows, it's best to put windows mostly on the south side. Combined with good solar mass you can offset a lot of your heating costs, and with proper overhangs the sun won't shine in in the summer.

Sounds like a ducting issue... maybe a leak... or maybe the dampers are partially closed in that room. Or is that room just farthest from the furnace?

I would call that acceptable if it isn't too humid. We lived on Kauai for a couple of years and it was often 90+ degrees and 90% humidity in the house in the evenings... not fun... with only ceiling fans for relief.
84 in the house? I couldn't sleep unless I got up, took a cold shower and went to bed with a head of cold wet hair. I've done that when my AC was on the blink in Midland (where it gets REALLY hot in the summer).

You would THINK that you don't want north windows in the winter, but the MBR is comfortable all year around! I have not adjusted the vents in there at all, as it's perfect! The west second bedroom is great all year also, and I've never adjusted that one either.

I forgot to mention that I also have 100% tile floors (on purpose), which makes it cooler in the summer. If energy were not so high, I would keep my summertime thermostat at 72.

Kauai is beautiful (as all of the HI islands are), but I would hate to have to live there.

I need to get back up to Ruidoso one of these days. My last trip there was the winter of 1984, skiing. We used to ski there all of the time.

But in recent years, snow has been hard to come by some years, in both Ruidoso and CC.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:55 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,261,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
I was thinking like it felt kind of humid today. Just checked--it's 101 degrees with 12% humidity. Guess I've acclimated!

~clairz

I think I hate you. lol

We're at 77 with 82% humidity (i'm DYIN' here) and it's not even 10:00 am yet.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,258,260 times
It was 107 in Ft Worth today, a record high for the date. I can't wait until October. Actually, the high daytime temps don't bother me as much as the "lows" we have...it was 84 for a low on August 2nd. At least in NM, it cools off at night.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It was 107 in Ft Worth today, a record high for the date. I can't wait until October. Actually, the high daytime temps don't bother me as much as the "lows" we have...it was 84 for a low on August 2nd. At least in NM, it cools off at night.
So it really did get that hot in the DFW-WF area (which topped out at one degree hotter, if I read correctly).

Midland has been extremely hot also...and Sis (south of Austin) said that they have had 44 days straight of 100+ degree temperatures.

Yes, the high temps at night do make it harder to sleep, even with AC.

So, I complain/whine less about Alamo's heat, since it has been consistently cooler than that of Texas, with the possible exception of Alpine/Ft Davis. Those areas have been a few degrees cooler in recent days.

Even Farmington, where I originally wanted to locate, has been hot as hell!!

But their nights still cool off even more than Alamo's do, at around 3 degrees more. I am watching to see how early all of the areas cool off in the fall.

I hate summer....and you DO have my sympathy.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:02 PM

4,262 posts, read 9,304,177 times
I did enjoy our brief deluge of rain this morning, although running out of the gym at 6:45 and getting soaked wasn't that fun. It has managed to keep the temps cooler today then yesterday. Mind you I am not asking for 60 degree weather just in the 80's. It is crazy because it was pouring from 10th St to past Indian Wells but 1st St looked like it hadn't gotten very much at all. Oh well it waters that garden and the yard.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:39 PM

47 posts, read 168,602 times
I am soooo jealous of you all in New Mexico. I am about 50 miles north of Austin and we have had the same 100+ degree days. And I really don't see any relief until early Nov.

Last night a 7:00 it was still 103, with 21% humidity, which is low for us.

Can't wait to retire and head for cooler weather with 4 seasons.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by droys View Post
I am soooo jealous of you all in New Mexico. I am about 50 miles north of Austin and we have had the same 100+ degree days. And I really don't see any relief until early Nov.

Last night a 7:00 it was still 103, with 21% humidity, which is low for us.

Can't wait to retire and head for cooler weather with 4 seasons.
Sis lives between Austin and San Marcos. Even out there, with less concrete and such than the city, she says that it has been horrible.

So, I'm not complaining too much with 83 and partly cloudy here in Alamo. We got a light rain, so that was nice to wake up to.

But....I'm ready for Oct-Nov, too!!

Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM

215 posts, read 841,891 times
Ajzjmsmom, we got soaked in CC this morning and this afternoon. Right now it's 54, and I can see my breath outside. I love this. Visible breath in August!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico