Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 05:37 PM

28 posts, read 63,744 times

Advertisements

Clairz or anyone know of the studio or the man ? Are any of his photographs displayed anywhere. His studio was on north side of west 7th fifty years ago and he was a fireman at Cannon fire dept. Bobby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:36 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,344,024 times
I was at Clovis forty years ago but, I'm sorry, the name does not sound familiar.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:22 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,310 times
I'm not ignoring you, OleGrouch--I'm checking around with folks that know the history of the area. As soon as I get some info I'll post it here.

~clairz

Old 08-22-2008, 08:21 AM

Dear OleGrouch,

I checked with the local newspaper editor who put me in touch with Don McAlavy, Curry County's unofficial historian. Don is retired and lives down in Florida now. Here is what he has told me so far.

Al Sass was a good friend of mine. He died Nov. 30, 1993 in Clovis. The
High Plains Historical Society [which] I started in 1972 has a lot of photos
stored in the Clovis-Carver Public Library, in what some of the librarians
call "Don's Room" which is always locked... There must be 20 to
25 boxes of photos and one box should have Al Sass's photos. The photos
are priceless.

Don has given me a letter to show to the head librarian, giving me permission to view the photos and to make copies. Are there any in particular that you are interested in?

I feel so honored to be a part of this search. I would love to check out the photographs, write an article on my blog, and post copies of pictures there (with permission).

~clairz

Old 08-22-2008, 09:39 AM

28 posts, read 63,744 times
Clairz I worked with Al Sass at Cannon Fire Dept. in 58-59, I was an amateur photographer at the time and enjoyed conversations with him about photography. He impressed me with his calmness and gentle attitude about everything. I saw some of his work back then but was wondering if it had been put on display somewhere. Hope to be able to see it someday when I can return to Clovis. Bobby

Old 08-22-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleGrouch View Post
Clairz I worked with Al Sass at Cannon Fire Dept. in 58-59, I was an amateur photographer at the time and enjoyed conversations with him about photography. He impressed me with his calmness and gentle attitude about everything. I saw some of his work back then but was wondering if it had been put on display somewhere. Hope to be able to see it someday when I can return to Clovis. Bobby
Bobby, I'm just back from visiting with the head librarian at the Clovis Carver Public Library. She is very willing to allow me to spend as much time as I want looking at the Al Sass photos that are stored there. She told me that there have been displays of his photos at the Clovis Community College.

Now you have me interested! I am working on permission to get some digital copies of the photos so that I can put some online to share with you and others. We'll see if that works out.

Whatever I find out, I'll post it here.

~clairz

Old 08-22-2008, 03:59 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,344,024 times
Default History of Curry County by Don McAlavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
Dear OleGrouch,

I checked with the local newspaper editor who put me in touch with Don McAlavy, Curry County's unofficial historian. Don is retired and lives down in Florida now. Here is what he has told me so far.
Clairz,

Your reply here reminded me that I have a copy of Don McAlavy's history of Currry County called "Curry County, New Mexico". Unfortunately, I am at my west Texas home and the book is in my book case at Albuquerque. This may be the reason the All Sass name seemed familiar to me. If you get over to the library, this is one book you should check out. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:17 PM

Bobby, I've got all my permissions lined up and am ready to spend some time down at the Clovis Library going through old photos and taking some digital shots of them that I can share the pictures online via my blog and possibly as an album on City-Data.

My latest communication from the "Curry County Historian," Don McAlavy, indicates that the man's name is Al Sasser, rather than Sass. Don just published a column in the Clovis News Journal titled "Retiree Gives Picturesque Look of Past". He must have been inspired by your questions that I was passing on. He says in the column:

Quote:
An exhibition of 123 vintage photographs taken by retired Clovis business man Duffy Sasser drew a large number of visitors to the Eula Mae Edwards Memorial Museum and Gallery in 1997.

...“A Photographic Journey Down Memory Lane” was the way CNJ writer Gary Mitchell described Sasser’s exhibition of black and white photographs of the Clovis area taken in the 1930s and 1940s.
He tells me that Duffy Sasser is Al Sasser's nephew.

So, any requests? Are there particular photos you want me to digitize? My sister has offered to come along and help me go through the collection, so it should be lots of fun!

~Clair Z.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 5,136 times
Someone was asking about names and slogans for a photo business and it reminded me of Al so I did a search and found your post. Al's friends used to say, "If you want to see great photos look up Al Sass".
Sass and Sasser are two different people. I knew Al Sass and have photos of him. I'll bet you can find out more about Al from the Masonic Lodge in Clovis 763-3612. He was a good man.
Just speculating here, Duffy Sasser owned Duffy's Camera on Prince St. in downtown Clovis. It looks like the shop is gone now.
Check with local Clovis photographers Nathan McCreary and Bob Morgan for info, both knowledgeable guys.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,136 times
Actually it was, "For the picture of your life, look up Al Sass".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico