Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:42 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,353,229 times

Advertisements

Dogs are only aggressive if the humans allow them to be and teach them that type of behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 12:18 PM

717 posts, read 1,955,920 times
I do it because I have compassion (for non humans). I do it because I know the situation directed events. Euthanasia is just another form of ignorance and is an act of murder. Fitting for many humans though it may be, I'm reluctant to administer it to creatures who are only following instinct and reflex. By the way, I know MANY humans that bite the hands that feed them on all levels...including at the highest levels of government. So...I prefer my rather hazardous cat to nearly all of humanity with precious few exceptions. At least I get no BS from him, he is the real deal, unlike most of mendacious, conniving humanity. A loathsome lot for the most part.

I'm tough, I'll recover somehow, someday; I NEVER give up the fight until I cannot stand...and then I crawl. That's just me. I've been under the knife EIGHT times, mostly as a result of major injury of one sort or another, so what. What's one more slice and dice, I'm nearly bionic already! I've been bitten, stung and injured lots of times and I'm not dead yet. Perhaps the next one will do the deed...who cares. I live my life to the hilt and have few regrets.

Dangerous animals have never intimidated me and I respect and revere all of life...with the possible large exception of the bulk of vile humanity. I totally venerate the scholars, scientists, visionaries, philosophers, artists, authors and musicians among us but the vast cabbage-headed myriads of pie-eyed automatons and brown noser's marching in ignorant lock-step with convention and the status quo can expect my deepest contempt. For them I have no compassion or pity...I merely seek to escape their noisome contagion and the miasma of their numbers. Hence: NM! It's the best fit considering waning resources and whatnot. For what's left of my existence I must follow my conscience and seek balance in all things...and never succumb to simplistic and ill-advised remedies.

P.S. Must concede my wife concurs with Claire, however, and if anything happens to me...my cat will soon share my fate

Last edited by dracul; 09-06-2008 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: Different strokes for different folks!

Old 09-06-2008, 12:38 PM

Ah, songinthewind (what a beautiful moniker), you're once again right on the mark. Dogs generally reflect their owners' proclivities. They respond to situations and circumstances usually by trying to please us; it is the pack mentality. It is why pit bulls can be compelled to fight to the death for their moronic and heartless masters, such as the revolting Mike Vick...who should be a candidate for euthanasia by my reckoning! Dogs seek to please us. Our neuroses sometimes can become reflected in their learned behavior, unfortunately.

I have raised and adored my pit bulls for over thirty years having owned 10 of them and I've never once had an accident with them regarding "strange humans". I've taken some hits when separating these canines when in rare and extraordinary circumstances, but no one else has ever been injured by my dogs, nor have they injured anyone else's dogs (My current Bully Pit is now approaching eighty pounds of rock hard muscle and bone and is the biggest baby you can possibly imagine!). It is a record I'm quite proud of...bethcha the "dog whisperer" can't claim better!!! I learned long ago as a corrections officer: Approach Determines Response". Amen brothers and sisters

Old 09-06-2008, 09:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,204,174 times
Cathy4017: I must disagree with you concerning cats. I've had a bunch of them, and while they are not like dogs in wanting to please, they are very loving. I've almost never been bitten or scratched unless I was 'asking for it' by playing with them (they play seriously). My two indoor cats don't do anything except eat, use the litter box (nearly always, anyway), and want to be petted. They are very spoiled, but I've been spoiling them since 1995. One of them scratched me the other day on the foot because I stepped on his tail in the dark, but I can hardly blame him.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:55 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,888,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Cathy4017: I must disagree with you concerning cats. I've had a bunch of them, and while they are not like dogs in wanting to please, they are very loving. I've almost never been bitten or scratched unless I was 'asking for it' by playing with them (they play seriously). My two indoor cats don't do anything except eat, use the litter box (nearly always, anyway), and want to be petted. They are very spoiled, but I've been spoiling them since 1995. One of them scratched me the other day on the foot because I stepped on his tail in the dark, but I can hardly blame him.
No. When you stepped on his tail, the scratch response would be natural.

My sister has had cats for over 30 years. She had one cat out of all of those years that loved me...and I loved it back. I will love any animal back, even a cat. But that one particular cat was also more dog-like, much less aloof than the typical cat is.

By the same token, she has had two different ones that have clawed the daylights out of me, unprovoked. I was sitting on the couch, minding my own business. One cat jumped up from the floor and got me....the other one from the other end of a long couch.

I guess it probably had to do with territorial issues. But it didn't endear me to them, just the same.

Besides the fact that I'm just not a cat person by nature, I'm also really, really allergic to them, so I wouldn't live with one in any case. I can tolerate a couple of them in the house (at Sis's place), but I don't touch them.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:47 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,368,248 times
Cats can sense when someone does not like them. They will react one of two ways, they will jump up in your lap to be loved, or they will try to get you out of their space. Rather like humans.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Cats can sense when someone does not like them. They will react one of two ways, they will jump up in your lap to be loved, or they will try to get you out of their space. Rather like humans.
That explains it, then, LOL!!

I just like the ones that ignore me and keep their distance, as the ones she has now do. Perfect peaceful co-existence!

Some people believe that if a cat comes up to you and rubs its face/ears on you that they are loving on you. It's not that at all...they are marking you as their territory.

The ones she has now leave me totally alone, and I really like that. If one were to jump up in my lap, I'd soon start sneezing...and my eyes watering.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 PM

775 posts, read 2,589,281 times
Default Cathy Try This

If you dont want cats to get near you put Rattlesnake Fat on you. I have a Friend who had Bad Arthritis on her knees and i gave her some Rattlesnake Fat for the Pain and she has several Cats but after she put the Rattlesnake Fat on her Knees the Cats Wouldnt get near her. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 09-08-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintada Kid View Post
If you dont want cats to get near you put Rattlesnake Fat on you. I have a Friend who had Bad Arthritis on her knees and i gave her some Rattlesnake Fat for the Pain and she has several Cats but after she put the Rattlesnake Fat on her Knees the Cats Wouldnt get near her. pintada kid at webtv.net
That's hilarious....it seems like they would want to lick the fat off as something tasty..

Old 09-08-2008, 07:20 AM

Pinata, you always have the most interesting...if somewhat odd...entries to submit! I generally agree with AlisonL on these issues although it is unlikely we can deduce just what consists of a cat's thought patterns, territorial imperatives and the like. More human anthropocentrism. Certainly we have learned a great deal about animal behavior and certain proclivities but we've much yet to discover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico