Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:57 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,033,627 times

Advertisements

maybe we should all praise the snakes since they are so loved, we can put em in a circle and steve o and dracul and I can bow down to em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 11:25 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,199,501 times
Snakes don't need to be worshipped. If the snake hadn't been branded as evil as part of the Garden of Eden story, they wouldn't have that unfortunate cachet. They just need to be treated fairly (and avoided if they are poisonous).

Cathy4017: My two cats wouldn't attack anyone. If you visited my house, they would probably want you to pet them, and if gently discouraged would leave you alone. I doubt that they are trying to mark me by rubbing on me (they know they own me!), since I've had them since 1995 and they are very affectionate, still purring at 13 years old. I've never been scratched by a cat unless it was frightened or I was playing with it. I've had cats that enjoyed playing rough, in which case I quickly learned to wear a protective glove. The two I have now are very pacific, so no need for the glove.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:52 AM

775 posts, read 2,588,934 times
Default Cats Are Good

I dont have any cats because i have dogs and my yard is Cat Free except for the Occassional cat that makes the Mistake of coming into my yard. Had a Cat about 20 years ago that lived on the Roof of my house and my Blue Heeler ran up the Wall of my house while he the cat was Asleep on the Edge of the Roof and my Tree Climbing Heeler brought the Cat down and then all the other dogs jumped him and last i saw of the cat he was flying over my 6 ft fence and he left the neighborhood. CATS are good for mice and snakes and poisonous insects plus they keep people company but they dont pay attention worth a Dam and have a mind of their Own but they are still good for our Health and peace of mind. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,884,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Snakes don't need to be worshipped. If the snake hadn't been branded as evil as part of the Garden of Eden story, they wouldn't have that unfortunate cachet. They just need to be treated fairly (and avoided if they are poisonous).

Cathy4017: My two cats wouldn't attack anyone. If you visited my house, they would probably want you to pet them, and if gently discouraged would leave you alone. I doubt that they are trying to mark me by rubbing on me (they know they own me!), since I've had them since 1995 and they are very affectionate, still purring at 13 years old. I've never been scratched by a cat unless it was frightened or I was playing with it. I've had cats that enjoyed playing rough, in which case I quickly learned to wear a protective glove. The two I have now are very pacific, so no need for the glove.
Yes, I understand. Sis has had only two out of 30+ years of owning (being owned by) cats that went after me like that. I still miss the one of hers that I loved (a solid black cat named "Token" (LOL)....Token spent many hours curled up in my lap on a pillow in the easy chair while I watched TV or visited. She has never had another one like him. I still had to be careful not to touch my face/eyes/nose when I had him in my lap. I am still really allergic to them.

I don't play with them because they ARE rough, even if they don't mean to be. Those claws HURT. That is quite different from being clawed at random when you're minding your own business!

The ones she has now ignore me and leave me totally alone, so it works well....

One friend had at least 8-10 cats that stayed in half of her garage, with a cat door on the garage door. All I had to do there was open the garage door, stick my head in the garage....and boy, did the allergies ever kick in BAD.

If I lived out in the sticks, I'd keep outdoor cats just to keep the vermin down.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:52 PM

717 posts, read 1,955,671 times
Once upon a time, back in the islands when I was a kid, we had 14 cats at one time!!!!! We were by forest reserve and most were transients but there were always plenty of felines around the abode!

Old 09-11-2008, 02:32 PM

Cathy4017: My cats are more like Garfield, too lazy to go after anything. It's just too much trouble. Also, I knew someone with a black cat named Token! And when one plays with cats, one gets scratched. They just don't realize how easily their claws can break our skin, since most of us aren't covered with fur.

dracul: What islands were those? That's a lot of cats! Incidentally, I agree with your assessment of animals vis-a-vis humans on an earlier page.

Last edited by catman; 09-11-2008 at 02:40 PM..

Old 09-11-2008, 11:13 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,033,627 times
I got a cat too, it attacks my foot every once in a while but she's just playing and I think its cute, she has a mind of her own and she gets scared when she sees someone new in the house and she will go hide in the bathroom. She only wants attention when its convienent for her. In a way she is kinda like a kid.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:19 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,366,717 times
We have one cat that we swear is a dog in a cat's body. He greets you at the door by jumping up on your leg and meowing. Neither of my cats can scratch you as they were declawed when I got them. As for biting, well they might...they have teeth.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:28 AM

717 posts, read 1,955,671 times
Catman, I was raised in Hawai'i, as I've mentioned before. We lived above a dairy in those days in Kaneohe, O'ahu, Hawai'i. The cats came and went and presumably hunted the rats inhabiting the cattle stalls nearby.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:38 PM

Thanks, dracul. I thought those were the islands you meant, but I wasn't sure, and I didn't know where to look for your previous reference.

I think we have seen that cats are all different in personality. I've had enough of them to know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico