Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:05 AM

908 posts, read 2,854,825 times

Advertisements

Right out of my great Aunt's recipe book:

1tbs shortening
1lb. cubed beef or pork steak
Salt to taste
1 tbs flour
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups water
6 tbs red powder chile

Melt shortening, add meat and flour, fry; add garlic, salt & chile powder, and blend well. Add water and let simmer for 1/2 hour. If mixture appears too thick, add more water. Serves 6.

This can be drizzled over just about anything New Mexican and it works great. I personally like drizzling it over fritos and covering that with cheese and onions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:44 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,472,797 times
More recipes! Does posole count?

Old 10-19-2008, 07:11 PM

464 posts, read 1,158,046 times
Default I agree!

More home and family recipes and methods, Please.
Thank you for sharing!

I saw someone mentioned cilantro, I think I'm the only person I know who hates it LOL
And I'll try and eat just about anything, and there's little I don't like.
Years ago I was introduced to cilantro by a Thai girlfriend. They fold a fresh bunch of it up, shove it in their mouths and munch away- Whew-Ick!
We would cook together, making spring rolls and lumpia etc.
Those were the days Less/little cilantro, would go into the mix!
I ask for it to be left out when eating out too.

I just can't get used to it. But use plenty of my own curly parsley when a recipe calls for cilantro.

I'll be learning the New Mexico ways more of cooking now, your recipes are helpful.
I've not been to NM for about 2 years now- miss it.

Was to move in this next year but, will now have to watch the damage to my pension of late and see how that recovers, before I make the final move
Talk about timing!

I've been reading this Forum for over a year and finally decided to de-lurk

You are wonderful folks!

Tia Dalma

Old 10-19-2008, 07:20 PM

908 posts, read 2,854,825 times
Well welcome from out of the shadows! You're not alone. My dad, who was born and raised in Santa Fe, can't stand cilantro either. He can taste the slightest amount. I was out visiting him in Virginia, and he asked me to make the family's posole from scratch. We were shopping and I grabbed for the cilantro and he jumped all over it. I had to check myself before I remembered his feelings about the stuff. Anyway, Welcome!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:24 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,252,780 times
Not a big cilantro fan here either :0)

Old 10-19-2008, 08:27 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,182,265 times
Me and Mrs Tecpatl lovzzz it! I think she'd put it on pancakes. lol

Old 10-19-2008, 09:23 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,222,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Not a big cilantro fan here either :0)
x3

too much like tex-mex.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,182,265 times
Cilantro is Tex-Mex????? No, senor....it's widely, enthusiastically used all over Mexico, all the way down to Chiapas and, especially Yucatan and Quintana Roo. Pretty far from Texas...
Order a Coctel de Camaron anywhere in the country and you'll get a big heap of chopped cilantro right on top of it.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:02 PM

464 posts, read 1,158,046 times
Default Thanks for the Welcomes!

Thanks all, and I'm happy to know in this cilantro issue, I'm not alone.

I was introduced to it in Asian foods, years ago. They have piles of it in the Asian type grocery stores.

Then I notice maybe wihin the last 8ish years or so, especially when I'd see one of the 'famous' Arizona chefs make a meal {on TV and such}, they were begining to use Cilantro too. I thought Ick, not in mine, LOL

Then it just exploded across the southwest.

I still think it odd that, I knew it before from Asian meals and then saw it in southwest 'American" meals/recipes too.

I wonder if true Mexico cilantro is the same as say Thai?

I won't taste it tho to find out!

Thanks again for the Welcomes, and sorry to say, I can't make it over for a Pancake breakfast, that one gave me the hebbie gebbies, Whoa!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,367,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
x3

too much like tex-mex.
x4.
Do not like cilanto in any form, shape or manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico