Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:43 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times

Advertisements

Red or Green enchilada sauce. Buy a frozen container of Bueno chile and follow the directions on the container. It doesn't get much easier than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 10:15 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,577 times
Red Chile Sauce, good for use on almost anything. This is kind of a fussy version compared to many NM home versions, a restaurant recipe from friends in Oaxaca, but it's one of the best and worth the trouble to make.

8 oz ground NM Red Chile, mild or medium
1 lb ripe roma tomatos
roast the tomatos under a broiler, in a hot pan or on a grill, until they start to darken, put in a blender
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 Tb home rendered lard or oil
Heat oil, saute onion until it's lightly colored, then add:
5 cloves garlic, fine chopped
Cook until garlic just turns light brown, then add all to blender with tomatos
1 1/2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
very small pinch allspice (if you can distinctly taste it in finished sauce, you used too much)
Add seasonings to blender
1 Cup good stock
Add to blender and whiz it all together until smooth
2 Tb oil or home rendered lard
Heat the oil in a sauce pan, add contents of blender and fry it, stirring all the time, for 3 to 5 minutes, adding more stock as needed.
Taste seasonings, adjust. Use on anything. It freezes well and can be doubled without making changes except possibly backing off on garlic a bit

Old 10-24-2008, 10:19 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Red or Green enchilada sauce. Buy a frozen container of Bueno chile and follow the directions on the container. It doesn't get much easier than that.
Nothing wrong with buying a good sauce or keeping some in the freezer, though making it is easy if you have a little time.
In LC I buy Roberto's from the freezer at Albertsons.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
A little garlic in Chile is a plus--gotta go real easy on the cilantro or it will taste like soap.
I believe that's genetic -- to some people cilantro has a nice refreshing flavor on the order of lemon, to others it tastes metallic or like soap. I like cilantro quite a bit, it doesn't taste at all like soap to me.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Someone once told me that the very extreme reactions to cilantro are genetic. There are people who are genetically disposed to disliking the taste and it runs in the family. I have no proof of this, but found it interesting. I like it in Asian food, but don't use it much in Mexican - only with pico de gallo.

Cilantro isn't anything knew to me -- my mother used "coriander" which is what cilantro is.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Cilantro isn't anything knew to me -- my mother used "coriander" which is what cilantro is.
I started out with the name "cilantro", not even thinking about it being the Spanish/Mexican term for coriander....the same with comino and cumin.

I had to ask somebody what the heck cumin was, since I'd never heard of it before until recently!

Old 10-26-2008, 08:52 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
Wow...look at those receipes...got to get my elk or deer soon...

JOE THE HUNTER AKA HW....

Old 10-27-2008, 08:56 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Nothing wrong with buying a good sauce or keeping some in the freezer, though making it is easy if you have a little time.
In LC I buy Roberto's from the freezer at Albertsons.
Roberto's is my preference, but they don't carry it at HEB in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico