Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:28 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,188,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
Thanks all, and I'm happy to know in this cilantro issue, I'm not alone.

I was introduced to it in Asian foods, years ago. They have piles of it in the Asian type grocery stores.

Then I notice maybe wihin the last 8ish years or so, especially when I'd see one of the 'famous' Arizona chefs make a meal {on TV and such}, they were begining to use Cilantro too. I thought Ick, not in mine, LOL

Then it just exploded across the southwest.

I still think it odd that, I knew it before from Asian meals and then saw it in southwest 'American" meals/recipes too.

I wonder if true Mexico cilantro is the same as say Thai?

I won't taste it tho to find out!

Thanks again for the Welcomes, and sorry to say, I can't make it over for a Pancake breakfast, that one gave me the hebbie gebbies, Whoa!
We'll put pecans on your pancakes instead. LOL
Cilantro is cilantro...in Mexico it's mostly leaves that are used, though the seeds are ground and used (called coriander seed) all over the world. In Thailand, for example, they also grind or mash the roots and use it in curries,etc. Some Maya-style dishes in Yucatan, especially those called Salpicon, use lots of cilantro, chiles and lime juice, and those dishes really remind me of Thai food.
People seem to either LOVE Cilantro or HATE it..not much in between.
It's used enthusiastically all over old Mexico, but is not as common in Texas, AZ and NM, though that's changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 12:57 PM

464 posts, read 1,159,499 times
Mmmmm Pe-cans! Now that's a deal

Thankflly, my brother brought me home a big bag of them last month, from some where near Anthony. I've double zip bagged them up and stuck them in the deep freezer for the holiday cookin' I'll be doing

Thanks tecpatl for the authenic ingredients info. I always prefer the 'real deals' to fad 'stuff'. The coriander seeds don't have the same affect on me. Tho I don't use them much.

Sounds like we have a small contingent here- No cilantro LOL
Right Alison

This sort of reminds me of the 'same-ness' of Pignolias or pine-nuts, {to New Mexico 'pinon'} used in Italian cooking and baking
Very yummy.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:09 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,380,411 times
Jeez I dislike cilantro so much I cannot even spell it. LOLOL

Old 10-20-2008, 06:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,918,141 times
It's used enthusiastically all over old Mexico, but is not as common in Texas, AZ and NM, though that's changing.

It's very common in West Texas. Nearly all of the salsas brought to the table at Mexican restaurants contain fresh chopped cilantro.

Yum. I like it so much that I even have a recipe (from Mexico, naturally) for cilantro soup....mmmmmmmm.

But it can be overdone in some recipes. Too much in a tomato-based salsa is just overpowering.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:14 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,188,641 times
In the city of Oaxaca there is a bar, down by the Benito Juarez Market, called Casa de Mescal. They have a selection of the special Mescal (or Mezcal) that is flavored by herbs or fruits steeped in the booze. You can down a glass of Cilantro flavored Mescal, poured from a bottle that has a big sprig of the plant with stem, leaves, flowers and seeds. Of course, this is a town where dried grasshoppers (chapulines) are a normal choice for pizza toppings. It's tasty, in any case.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:52 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,259,375 times
Blah, blah, bleck. Knowing where i'm NOT vacationing. lol

Old 10-21-2008, 08:52 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,044,307 times
I love cilantro -- though I think it is more Tex-Mex and we don't seem to get it as frequently in New Mexican cuisine.

Even though I love it, I don't think I would want to drink it. yuck

Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 AM

908 posts, read 2,858,217 times
It's interesting how complex taste is. My wife and I actually love cilantro in soups and salad. In salad we both agreed it made the salad taste...well... fresh. Cilantro does seems to be very polarizing. I think it can happen in other cuisines too. I love the pizza at Mario's, but every once in a while it's like the top fell off the oregano jar and I can't hardly stand it. I've never had too much garlic. The garlic mashed potatoes at Buca di Beppo's (Near Coronado Center and I-40) should be renamed mashed garlic and potatoes. Vampires beware!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:57 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,738,522 times
Someone once told me that the very extreme reactions to cilantro are genetic. There are people who are genetically disposed to disliking the taste and it runs in the family. I have no proof of this, but found it interesting. I like it in Asian food, but don't use it much in Mexican - only with pico de gallo.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:24 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,483,989 times
Recipes, please!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico