Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:37 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,618,090 times

Advertisements

ProudCapMarine needs to go back to his New Jersey/New York boards and muckrake about their politicians and celebrities. Kilmer was merely talking about method acting in that interview. I agree with him that a trained actor could do a better job acting in a war movie than most Vietnam vets. Don't get your panties in a bunch over the small stuff people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 11:01 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,918,122 times
Do we even want Val Kilmer in New Mexico at all?

Rich

Old 02-05-2009, 11:22 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,203,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
[sarcasim]I would absolutely love an actor who has off the wall views to be in charge of our State. I look at California every morning and how I wish we had their laws and the Terminator being our guiding light.[/sarcasim]
I don't even like Kilmer as an actor. If you New Mexicans elect him as your governor I sure hope for your sake that he governs better than he acts.

It's not outside the question that I might even be living in NM in 2010, and if so I can only hope that the other party has a better candidate.

Actually the Governator is not all that bad a governor here in CA. Our state is all screwed up by the legislators before Arnold even has a chance to mess it up worse.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:28 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,618,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Do we even want Val Kilmer in New Mexico at all?

Rich
Who knows, but if he wants to run, let him and then we will see what his views are, and what he proposes to do as Governor.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:02 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,441,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't even like Kilmer as an actor. If you New Mexicans elect him as your governor I sure hope for your sake that he governs better than he acts.

It's not outside the question that I might even be living in NM in 2010, and if so I can only hope that the other party has a better candidate.

Actually the Governator is not all that bad a governor here in CA. Our state is all screwed up by the legislators before Arnold even has a chance to mess it up worse.
I cant vote so I cannot be blamed if he gets elected. I have no doubt that it is highly possible though.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:04 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,923,014 times
I saw Real Genius the other day on G4.

Made me think about how he wants to be our governor.

Don't know much about his politics and I have not read the actual interview referenced in the first post. I cannot imagine anyone who wants to run for office saying something that stupid.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:45 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,738,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I saw Real Genius the other day on G4.

Made me think about how he wants to be our governor.

Don't know much about his politics and I have not read the actual interview referenced in the first post. I cannot imagine anyone who wants to run for office saying something that stupid.
The quote is taken totally out of context.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:27 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,109,997 times
Val kilmer, Tom Cruise, Sean Penn, all cut from the same mold. [MOD EDIT - Name Calling] in my opinion. Good actors though.
A good actor does not make a good politician, example; Ronald Reagan !

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-20-2009 at 08:40 AM..

Old 02-05-2009, 09:34 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,339,368 times
Default In an interview for Esquire magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
The quote is taken totally out of context.
Here's another magazine article that an email buddy (Janet) sent me.

One-time Hollywood pretty boy Val Kilmer, who portrayed "Iceman" in the Tom Cruise hit Top Gun, thinks he might run for governor of New Mexico. But he won't get any votes from Vietnam vets! In an interview for Esquire magazine, Kilmer characterizes Vietnam vets as

Val Kilmer Insults Vets

Sound off! Add your comments to those who are standing up for our Vietnam vets.

Thanks,
Janet

Old 02-06-2009, 07:57 AM

622 posts, read 1,727,354 times
I read the original article. I think it's been over-hyped. He was trying to explain, imo, the essence of tai quei, or the art of making a situation real in your mind to experience it, which is apparently what he tries to accomplish while acting. The point being how someone who is in an experience can be so overwhelmed with what they are experiencing, ie: vietnam, that they wouldn't do as good a job telling others about it as someone who is trying to experience a situation with the purpose of relating it, ie:acting. Hope that makes sense.
Anyway, how he put it was clumsily said, but then again, not everything that comes out of a person's mouth can be sanitized by the PC police beforehand.
As to politics, I'd like to hear what he has to say about politics, as with anyone else who was considering running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico