Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 06:53 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,926,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL!! I tend to agree with that for the most part.
I feel fortunate at times that the village of Ruidoso does such a poor job of enforcing the ordinances that they do have on their books. A former mayor thought that homeowners should have to have "building permits" for such things as repainting a room in their house or installing a new faucet washer. We have had a lot of one-term mayors here!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 08:43 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,913,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
I feel fortunate at times that the village of Ruidoso does such a poor job of enforcing the ordinances that they do have on their books. A former mayor thought that homeowners should have to have "building permits" for such things as repainting a room in their house or installing a new faucet washer. We have had a lot of one-term mayors here!

LOL!! Well, those go far beyond the ridiculous!

But when it comes to junk cars up on blocks, washing machines/other trash out in the front yard, that is quite another matter.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,255,884 times
Quote:
It is a good time to buy though since lately it seems that the "housing slump" is finally having some impact here. Houses that have been on the market for a year or more are seeing some major markdowns when they actually sell.
According to CD the median prices in Ruidoso are making quite a comeback although I do notice a lot of units are for sale. The number of units sold is way down, but the median price is coming back up. I think we could sell our place for more than we paid for it in February 2007 as it was never a nightly rental before we purchased it. Now we average between 40 and 50 percent occupancy per year. It is working out quite well. It defintely pays for itself so I think we will hang on to it for awhile (forever) if we can. We will see what happens!

https://www.city-data.com/real-estate...-NM-88345.html

Old 04-10-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
According to CD the median (home) prices in Ruidoso are making quite a comeback
So are GAS prices! Gas is now selling at $3.00/gal for unleaded regular at ALL stations in Ruidoso. Well above both the state and natl. average. It's as if the distributor is an orchestra leader - raises his baton and every station in the area plays along! Along with the highest sales (gross receipts) tax in the state, a significant bed tax on all overnight rentals, and high prices on goods in general, you wonder why anyone would want to retire here or visit here as a tourist when they can get so much more for their money in other more upscale resort areas.

Do I sound angry?

Old 04-10-2010, 12:06 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,255,884 times
Quote:
Gas is now selling at $3.00/gal for unleaded regular at ALL stations in Ruidoso.

Do I sound angry?
We paid $2.79 per gallon for regular to fill the pony this mornng in Tempe. We all know that the price for gas will rise with summer coming so they can take advantage of summer travel/vacations. I can see it hitting $3.50 per gallon by the end of May.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:15 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,241,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Happy Easter to you also. Did you have a nice one?
In a non traditional way this year. No ham, no potato salad or deviled eggs, just some junk food, the dog and a trip to the forest. I need to find me a senorita who likes the great outdoors.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:38 PM

7,399 posts, read 19,373,636 times
Are you having trouble finding someone that enjoys the outdoors?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Are you having trouble finding someone that enjoys the outdoors?
Females yes. Most want to stay home and have children. IMO, as flawed as it is.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:02 PM

Default New Mexico Ice Plant?

Does anyone know anything about this plant? I've seen it grown on hillsides and it seems to spread out and expand after being planted. Don't know the proper name of the plant, only that people call it ice.
Where can I buy it or acquire it? My local stores do not sell it.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Don't know the proper name of the plant, only that people call it ice.
IF you're referring to the variety of plant commonly called "ice plant" then you need to narrow it down to a particular variety. There are many. You see a lot of "ice plants" growing along the freeways in California where it is used as ground cover on overpasses and shoulders. Nurseries in NM should have some version of it. Another common name is "succulent" of which there are many many varieties - aloe vera being a succulent of the lily family, for example.

Quote:
United States

In the early 1900s C. edulis was brought to California from South Africa to stabilize soil along railroad tracks and was later put to use by Caltrans for similar purposes. Thousands of acres were planted in California until the 1970s. It easily spreads by seed (hundreds per fruit) and from segmentation (any shoot segment can produce roots). Its succulent foliage, bright magenta or yellow flowers, and resistance to some harsh coastal climatic conditions (salt) have also made it a favoured garden plant. The Ice Plant was for several decades widely promoted as an ornamental plant, and it is still available at some nurseries. Ice Plant foliage can turn a vibrant red to yellow in color.
The Ice Plant is still abundant along highways, beaches, on military bases, and in other public and private landscapes. It spreads beyond landscape plantings and has invaded foredune, dune scrub, coastal bluff scrub, coastal prairie, and most recently maritime chaparral communities. In California, the Ice Plant is found in coastal habitats from north of Eureka, California, south at least as far as Rosarito in Baja California. It is intolerant of frost, and is not found far inland or at elevations greater than approximately 500 feet (150 m).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico