Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:45 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraSol View Post
Hi!
Nice pics everyone! I love taking pictures, but right now all I use is the disposable kind cause I'm not sure what type of camera to get, and they're not exactly cheap either, so I don't want to end up with the wrong one. I'm a novice at picture taking and only know what I've read about cameras. I wanted to get the canon rebel xt, but I've heard that digitals are much better than slr's. Any suggestions for a beginner?
Rebecca
Rebecca, I can highly recommend the Canon Rebel XT EOS Digital SLR Camera. I graduated "up" to one a year ago, coming from a simple all automatic digital camera. It will take me a long time to learn about all the things I can do with this camera. It works as a fully automatic digital, but gives me the option to go manual, too--so I can take lots of pictures the easy way, while learning all about the manual functions.

One thing I especially love is that I can take up to 800 or so shots before downloading. I've only taken as many as 100 at a single event before downloading the whole batch, but it's great to know that I can keep on shooting.

We decided on this camera after our first trip to the Grand Canyon with the old camera. First the batteries ran out, then we ran out of space for photos. That will never happen with the Rebel!

~clairz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 02:05 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,378 times
I am as old fashioned as you can get. I still use my 35mm camera. My husband uses his digital and runs out of battery sometimes, and as long as I have film, I keep shooting away.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:27 PM

68 posts, read 257,190 times
Hi,
Clairz thanks for the recommendation. Do you use the slr part more than the digital? How do you know when to use one or the other? Is there really a big difference in quality...slr pics compared to digitals?

Towanda, I used to use my in-laws polaroid (my dh inherited it), but I got tired of all the stares from people snapping their pics with their fancy cameras, so I switched to disposable, and I still get starred at, 'cause it makes a lot of noise. Actually, I just want to take pictures of what my eyes are immediately looking at, so that when I look at my pictures I can say, "ah yes that's exactly what I wanted to capture", and not, "what is that supposed to be?"!

Old 07-17-2008, 03:13 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,378 times
The funniest thing with using my film camera has always been our 4 year old grand-daughter. She would always say, "Let me see the picture" and I would tell her, "Grammy's camera doesn't show the picture." and she would look at me and the camera like we were prehistoric relics. Which we are.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraSol View Post
Hi,
Clairz thanks for the recommendation. Do you use the slr part more than the digital? How do you know when to use one or the other? Is there really a big difference in quality...slr pics compared to digitals?
The photos are always digital. SLR defines the type of camera and stands for Single Lens Reflex (as opposed to the less complex compact digital camera--the "point-and-shoot" kind). Here are some helpful points from The Digital SLR Guide:
  • With an SLR camera, you see exactly what the lens sees
  • You can change the lens on a digital SLR
  • Digital SLRs have large image sensors that produce high-quality photos
  • An SLR has a near-zero lag time, and is ideal for action photography

I can choose to shoot in automatic mode, by framing the photo and adjusting the focus and clicking the shutter. Or, in manual mode, I can make my own adjustments to the shutter speed, aperture opening, and something called the ISO (which has to do with digital image noise and used to be called ASA with film cameras. I am officially out of my depth at this point--you should check out that Digital SLR Guide for more info).

Most of the time I just shoot happily away in automatic mode and then download and Photoshop the resulting photos. When I have time to experiment, I get out the how-to manuals and practice shots with manual settings to try to understand all this stuff.

An excellent place to view beautiful photographs and learn about their specifications is pbase. Each photo has all the technical information included. There is even a gallery of all kinds of cameras, where you can click on the camera and see photos that have been taken with that model.

~clairz

Old 07-18-2008, 02:51 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,645 times
GREAT post clairz. I'd give you reps if I could, but apparently you make nice posts a habit.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
GREAT post clairz. I'd give you reps if I could, but apparently you make nice posts a habit.
Thanks! What a nice compliment. I do my best, although when talking tech talk about cameras I had to rely on a bunch of research, because I am still learning.

~clairz

Old 07-18-2008, 10:15 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
That's o.k. Zia as i just did !!!!!! . ClairZ is one of my top 3 favorite posters on the New Mexico threads along with EnjoyEP and Cathy in Alamo .

Old 07-18-2008, 12:52 PM

68 posts, read 257,190 times
Hi,Clairz thanks a whole lot for the information! By the way, your photographs are beautiful. I like what you had to say about the rebel...I just may get that one. Its a bit pricey...for me anyways, but I love photography and I have a piggy bank sittin' on my dresser waiting to be busted open! Its my fun money!! Once I get it I'll let you all know by posting my first photograph of a beautiful place here in New Mexico...how's that? At least I hope I'll do a good enough job to post it on here...I'm telling ya, you all did a great job with your photographs. Rebecca

Old 07-18-2008, 04:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
That's o.k. Zia as i just did !!!!!! . ClairZ is one of my top 3 favorite posters on the New Mexico threads along with EnjoyEP and Cathy in Alamo .
Thanks, Harry.....the feeling is mutual! You were (and still are) a wealth of information when it comes to Alamo and the surrounding area.

This part of New Mexico is just SO neat.....so much so close by!! We got some great rain this afternoon, and it has cooled things off very nicely.

I LOVE Laborcita Canyon and La Luz. What a fascinating place. It's as if time stood still!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico