Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:21 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,427,036 times

Advertisements

Interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

I have a concern about downtown . . . . In order to lure tourists to that area, shouldn't the city fathers think about making it more than a clubbing area for the younger crowd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 01:47 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,623,512 times
Small world - one of my clients in Tampa will be out here in April for the bowling convention, and hopefully he and his wife will have some free time so I can show them around ABQ.

Wonder if the tourism will be affected if the Scientology deal goes thru?

Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,992,770 times
Default New Mexico Tourism

The New Mexico Department of Tourism has sent out 2 commercials to over 15 states, they have a "alien worker" theme. What are your thoughts?

And the fact it says: New Mexico, Earth. Since many dont think New Mexico is a state. Thats how unique we are

My Opinion: Funny, the whole alien theme kinda gets old after awhile. I also hear the commerical is quite controversial.

Last edited by bradly; 06-07-2009 at 11:22 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 11:15 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times
Those ads are two years old.

Rich

Old 06-07-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Those ads are two years old.

Rich

They have only been playing it in a couple of states including ours, now it has expanded threw 15 states and doesnt play in ours. So techically its new

Old 06-07-2009, 11:41 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times
Both those videos you have up there were put up on YouTube in 2007 for the world to see. They were not put up on Youtube by the New Mexico Department of Tourism, they were put up by individuals, in fact one of them was put up by someone in Poland. Some of those videos have been put up more than once by other people.

And those videos have been on the New Mexico Department of Tourism web site since 2007: Videos from the New Mexico Tourism Department Down near the bottom

Maybe New Mexico is paying to run the ads in other markets. I did not see anything about it. What do I think? Probably a good idea. But I am sure someone might complain about more tourists....

Rich

Old 06-08-2009, 01:45 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,204,174 times
I didn't see them here in Ft Worth until this year. I rather like them.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:45 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,182,717 times
The ads are funny and memorable and very different, so they work. I think they're aimed at a pretty young demographic, which is also a good idea.
At some point they'll be replaced with a new campaign and all the folks that hate Space Aliens in the Office can lobby hard for dreamy images of Santa Fe Plaza, dancing Indians at Taos Pueblo, sunsets, canyons 'n cowboys, Spaceport America, Carlsbad Caverns and a plate of enchiladas being set down on a table laden with margaritas, with Mariachi and Jazzmenco music in the background.
It's all good if it brings visitors and their bucks, as tourism is a pretty clean industry and employs people of all education levels.
An open question for readers: If you were going to advertise New Mexico to visitors (tourists), what would YOUR commecial look like?

Old 06-08-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
An open question for readers: If you were going to advertise New Mexico to visitors (tourists), what would YOUR commecial look like?
Good Question!, Show the beautiful areas, such as the Abiquiu lake in the first commercial, and the ballon fiesta.. maybe a bit of the santa fe area.. that place is always hot with tourists.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:12 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
But I am sure someone might complain about more tourists....
Probably will.
NM could take the approach Oregon took with tourism commercials during the late 1960s...
They had their governor (Andros, if I remember them right) talking about how great and pretty their state was, and would close each commercial with something along the lines of "Please come visit, just don't stay."
Funny, and pretty well hit the sentiment of most folks in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico