Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:32 AM

662 posts, read 1,451,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
I suppose one could say, NM has a lot of beach, just no ocean (or at least not since the Triassic/Jurassic/Cretaceous periods, anyway).
Thanks for my morning laugh. Having just moved here a few months ago, I must say when my husband got a job offer here in Albuquerque, I was very underwhelmed. I didn't know a lot about ABQ. I had been to Santa Fe on a vacation and while driving back to Dallas took the Sandia Peak tram, but that was all I had seen of ABQ.

True, I figured it was a lot better than Lubbock, TX, but I wasn't too thrilled. I came here to visit and explore before we made our final decision, and I was pleasantly surprised.

There are certain places, whether it is due to marketing or word-of-mouth that people get excited about. When I say I lived in Austin, people say, "Oh, Austin, I heard it is great." When I say I lived in Dallas, people say, "Oh." When I say I'm from Wisconsin, people say, "Oh, the Packers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 05:43 PM

10,756 posts, read 23,852,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
BTW, this from a native Texan whose love for New Mexico has not declined since I first saw it in 1968. I just wish the State would quit advertising itself to those who wouldn't appreciate New Mexico even if they owned it.
People seem to get aghast that I don't appreciate Boston as much as they do. Yes it is a very interesting city, but I've been around it for 29 years of my life. I’ve had my fill of it thank you. I’m sure Paris wouldn’t be that intriguing to me either if I spent that much time there. They still don't get it, not that I really owe them an explanation they would think is rational. Saying "I'm moving to New Mexico" has gotten me a few puzzled looks. I mention Albuquerque and they conjure up images of a divey crack motel on E. Central Ave that they saw on the show "COPS" once. Whatever, I find Albuquerque and New Mexico to be a fascinating place with much for me to explore. That's all that matters to me and I kind of like that its still a bit under the radar.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-09-2011 at 05:58 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 06:42 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,758,425 times
I am puzzled by this NM tourism secretary who is concerned about NM becoming a Colorado Jr. Perhaps she doesn't know Colorado well. NM & Colorado are very different.

I also could care less what focus groups in far away cities had to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I really could care less what "responses from focus group members in Chicago, Houston and Los Angeles" had to say...

Rich

Old 11-09-2011, 10:29 PM

391 posts, read 907,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Pure Michigan (6 months of the year)

Hey...Ski Apache! Naw...they never get that much snow....

Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
If I can play devil's advocate for a minute... Coastline and water can only be enjoyed one little bit at a time by most people. Which state has the most of it is academic. Most Michiganders have only seen a tiny fraction of their state's coastline, and that's enough. If you put them on the Wisconsin shore they wouldn't know the difference. Living in New Mexico, if I want to see water or go for a swim I'm not going to Michigan for it, there are closer options. I've enjoyed Michigan beaches but I've also been there in summer when the weather was too cold for swimming. Do you really know New Mexicans who go to Michigan because of the water? Nothing against Michigan, but this "we have the most of X" strategy doesn't work for me, if all I can reasonably enjoy is a little bit of X.

Perhaps Santa Fe with its endless art galleries and annual markets is New Mexico's most unique tourism asset, followed by the national parks and monuments. Acoma Pueblo is also highly rated by visitors. Native culture continues to be a draw.
Like I said, you sell what you've got on the wagon. MI has endless water, 1000's of square miles of forest, wineries, some cool towns, lots of history, museums and plenty of Indian culture there too. Not for everyone, but that's just fine as long as those who DO find it attractive visit and leave some money behind.

SF is certainly among the top human-type attractions of NM, and the parks, canyons, deserts and mountains (what, more rocks??) among the most interesting natural sights.
The three cultures of New Mexico is very interesting and pretty unique, something I'd make a big deal about if I was marketing the state. You can sell that in art, culture, food, festivities and other ways. Louisiana has done that with Acadiana (Cajun country) and Creole culture in New Orleans very successfully.
Then there's the mythic cowboys/Wild West/outlaws thing.
The net is that there's a lot to sell on New Mexico's wagon...it's just not being done all that well.
When people making their first trip to NM ask what to see, I always recommend Acoma.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:12 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,607,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
According to an article in the Santa Fe New Mexican today, the answer is yes!
Quote:
"Colorado is like God," he said. "People love it to death."

FULL ARTICLE HERE.

Your thoughts?
great. let them love colorado 'to death' and leave new mexico unspoiled.

sounds good to me.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:02 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,418,848 times
Welcome to New Mexico
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/392591_10150462735840991_601830990_10849015_448460 32_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-21-2011, 08:23 AM

Looks pretty "enchanting" Brian! Now, who could resist that?? jeez...lol

Old 11-21-2011, 12:30 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,418,848 times
Yeh I know. No way we could have an image problem, State has some awesome signs up

I took that on Sat. The Texas sign across the street always gets replaced when crap happens to it.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:37 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Welcome to New Mexico
It is a fine looking sign!

A drawing of a red chile and a green chile.

Looks like it may be been autographed... Looks like a few stickers? Of course the bullet holes are in good taste, not too many, not bulls-eyes so as to brag....

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico