Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:11 AM

124 posts, read 415,353 times

Advertisements

Thank you. Silver City sounds great. One question though, what do you do for entertaiment? Also, are there places to meet other single over 55 for socialization and the like? See, when you are married, is different. When you are single is a different story. What about Church... are they active and community involved? Do you guys have cable TV, DSL cable etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMartist View Post
I had lived in Albuquerque area for some time and it was great. But, now live in a little paradise called Silver City, NM
Altitude is 6,000. We have even nicer weather than ABQ. We receive more rain and are warmer than ABQ on winter days but cooler than ABQ on summer days. I've lived here for 5 years and the winters have snow, not too often and very light. It melts by noon.
We are in the foothills of the Gila Wilderness.
There isn't the shopping you have in the cities and this bothers some people. Las Cruces, a great place to shop is 100 miles.
No traffic jams and no rush hour.
Great for retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 05:40 PM

80 posts, read 390,512 times
Default Crime In New Mexico

I have been reading the posts on New Mexico and we are actually considering semi-retiring in Denver area but have also thought of New Mexico.
I read on a thread somewhere there is a high crime in the Las Cruces area of New Mexico. Is that an exageration or is it the same as anywhere else?

Old 04-18-2007, 06:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,846,981 times
I would guess that crime in Las Cruces is similar to any city with a great disparity in income. The poor sections of town are probably tougher than the wealthier. The proximity to the Mexican border probably shifts the type of crime to drug smuggling and the "lawlessness" associated with the gang rivalry and contract enforcment.

I'd just stay in the "good" areas of town and be ready for anything.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:13 AM

81 posts, read 348,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeser View Post
pinusconus - What specifically about the weather did you like? When did you visit?
I visited in March and April. Didn't mind the wind. Loved the warm, sunny days. I don't mind the hot summer days in the desert because temperatures cool down at night. I prefer the desert dryness to the dampness in Massachusetts.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:33 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,649,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anncat View Post
I read on a thread somewhere there is a high crime in the Las Cruces area of New Mexico. Is that an exageration or is it the same as anywhere else?
Although not currently living there i believe thats an exageration that there is high crime there. Yes they have crime issues but i've never heard anything thats out of whack. You don't read daily about gangs and gang shootings etc.

Strainge but as close as South Central New Mexico is to the Mexican border the crime stats are low for Las Cruces, Alamogordo, Demng, Silver City and Anthony.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:07 PM

I now sometimes crime can be greatly exagerated just by a few incidents.
I live in MA and we are seeing more crime in the Boston area then we have for a long time.
I too am tired of the dampness (horrible weather for a week now) and loved visiting my daughter in Denver which almost every time there whether it be summer, fall, winter or spring have had more days of sun then clouds. Really is uplifting. I suppose if we rent in the Denver area we can travel to New Mexico and visit since I have always wanted to see the area.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I too am tired of the dampness (horrible weather for a week now) and loved visiting my daughter in Denver which almost every time there whether it be summer, fall, winter or spring have had more days of sun then clouds.
If you like year around Sunshine and mild winters then you'll love Las Cruces. Also the summer is milder than Arizona so i believe the secrets out as to why so many retirees are moving down to Las Cruces....

Old 04-19-2007, 02:13 PM

Is there much to do in the Las Cruces area? What major city or cities is it close to. Not that we are Party goers but we do enjoy going out to eat, museums and I particularly like somewhat keeping fit, yoga, gyms etc. We are both in late 50's.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:39 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,723,364 times
Quote:
Is there much to do in the Las Cruces area? What major city or cities is it close to. Not that we are Party goers but we do enjoy going out to eat, museums and I particularly like somewhat keeping fit, yoga, gyms etc. We are both in late 50's.
El Paso, Texas...one of the top 25 biggest cities in the U.S., is a mere 30-to-45 minutes south of Las Cruces. As evidenced by my posting screen name, I am quite a fan of El Paso, and I think much of what you could not find (yet) in Las Cruces you'd be able to find in El Paso. (LC and EP are so close together that they are considered part of the same metro area).

Las Cruces is also about 225 miles south of Albuquerque - only a 3-to-3.5 hour drive on I-25 - for an occasional weekend getaway. Santa Fe is only 45-minutes north of Albuquerque.

But there is quite a bit to do in Las Cruces...and that is growing. It in itself is getting over the 100,000+ population range and surely has great gyms, yoga places, etc. Plus, the climate is so wonderful year-round in Las Cruces, you won't want to do a ton of your exercise indoors...you'll want to get out into the Southern NM sun!

Plenty of places to go out to eat in and around the Las Cruces and El Paso area...if you like Mexican cuisine, it is an even bigger bonus!

Las Cruces is still a bit too small for my tastes (I live in Albuquerque and am still in my thirties) however, would be right up there in my choices for a retirement spot. You can't beat the weather.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:46 PM

I think EnjoyEP (favorate poster) said it well and cannot really add much especially trying to compare Las Cruces/El Paso to Denver as they can't match Denver's ammenities.....But they do have Denver beat on the winter weather if cold and snow are not your cup of tea.

Alot of people in southern New Mexico (las cruces/alamogordo etc.) play Golf in the morning and Snow Ski in the Sacramento Mountains in the afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico