Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:23 AM

124 posts, read 414,965 times

Advertisements

Can you name a few reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 08:50 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,847 times
Other than the intangibles and personal preferences that tend to vary by individual, it is relatively cheap compared to the east and west coasts, and the winters are mild.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:14 AM

271 posts, read 1,125,626 times
You bet the winters are mild, because here in Illinois it snowed last night.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:57 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Weather is mild compared to most states. Humidity is low in most parts of the state. If they saved for retirement, purchasing a house is cheap too. Retired people like to explore, and NM has ALOT of history and beautiful places to retire. They tend to volunteer alot to with local organizations, and most organizations in NM are on a volunteer basis.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tito View Post
You bet the winters are mild, because here in Illinois it snowed last night.
Good point, but Florida has a lot to offer and it doesn't snow at all. I guess I won't see what so good about retirement in New Mexico until June. Thats when I will visit Santa Fe, Los Alamos, and maybe Ruidoso.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Weather is mild compared to most states. Humidity is low in most parts of the state. If they saved for retirement, purchasing a house is cheap too. Retired people like to explore, and NM has ALOT of history and beautiful places to retire. They tend to volunteer alot to with local organizations, and most organizations in NM are on a volunteer basis.

You are right, NM has low humidity, but as I understand, it snows in the winter, and that is not-so-good for older folks. Also NM has state tax, while other places such as Florida do not. Just a thought. I can't wait to see NM in June. Then I will see first hand why so many people want to retire to NM.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Other than the intangibles and personal preferences that tend to vary by individual, it is relatively cheap compared to the east and west coasts, and the winters are mild.
I guess you are right. These days living in Florida has gotten quite expensive. However, we have such magnificent beaches, blue skies, and warm weather all year around, I can figure myself living anywhere else.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:54 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Yes it does snow, not all over. And what people call snow here is a dusting in other states. This year was abnormal with the amout of snow we had, we got ALOT. Last year not so much, in fact for the last three years not so much. Florida is way more expensive than NM, hence why people on a limited budget like retirees set up home here.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:16 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlitosway View Post
You are right, NM has low humidity, but as I understand, it snows in the winter, and that is not-so-good for older folks.
"It snows in the winter"...

The thing that always is a challenge in trying to explain New Mexico to folks not from the area is how a) big, and b) DIVERSE this state is in terms of climate/weather and topography.

You mention that three places you are going to check out in NM are: Santa Fe, Los Alamos, and Ruidoso.

Well, all three of those cities are mountain cities - 7,000+ feet in elevation. Yes, indeed, they get snow in the winter and have relatively cold winters...they are a mile and a half high!

New Mexico - while generally high in altitude all over - has lower altitude places with vastly different climates than those of Santa Fe, Ruidoso, and Los Alamos. I moved to Albuquerque from Wisconsin largely due to the much more favorable weather in this part of NM; I would not live in Santa Fe, Ruidoso, or Los Alamos (and I am not retirement age)...why? Because while all three are gorgeous, beautiful cities, I moved for MILD winters, and they wouldn't offer those to me.

If you are looking for mild winters, try places like: Albuquerque (averages less than 10 inches of snow per winter and many winters gets 0-4 inches of snow total that lasts about a day), Las Cruces (averages about 4 inches of snow a year and many winters it never snows), Alamogordo (similar climate to Las Cruces or El Paso TX), Carlsbad (lowest altitude in the state, very mild and relatively snow-free winters), Deming (similar climate to Las Cruces).

It is just too varied a state to say that "it snows in the winter" when talking of New Mexico. Sure...if you are talking about Red River, NM - 8,000 feet in elevation in the high mountains near Colorado, they more than get snow there. If you are talking about Cedar Crest - a "suburb" of Albuquerque high in the East Mountains east of Albuquerque - they get quite a bit of snow. But talk about Albuquerque, Las Cruces, Truth or Consequences, or Alamogordo...and then you don't get much snow at all (except for this record-setting year of freaky proportions) year-round.

New Mexico's far east and northeast side are largely plains areas - more similar to the panhandle of Texas than the rest of NM - and thus are more exposed to wild changes in weather similar to Oklahoma City or Amarillo. These areas would include towns like Clovis, Clayton, Portales, etc.

The west and northwest are largely high elevation areas (again, mountain areas) that are near the continental divide...Gallup can generally be 25 degrees colder at nights in the winter than Albuquerque and it is only a 2 hour drive away on I-40. Farmington is somewhat an exception to this rule, as it tends to be a bit more mild than the rest of the 4-corners region of NM.

But when you are thinking of "retirement" towns - considering mild winters/weather is a primary concern...then again, for NM, you'd be thinking of Albuquerque, Las Cruces, Carlsbad, Alamogordo, Truth or Consequences, etc. There may be a few more.

That isn't to say there aren't retirees in Santa Fe, Ruidoso, or Los Alamos. Again, there assuredly are and they are gorgeous areas. But those people wouldn't be moving there for mild winters.

Florida indeed has a great climate for folks who don't mind ultra hot, humid summers (me included). However, you are comparing a low-altitude, small piece of beach-side land. Yes, areas like that have a tropical climate.

New Mexico's climate - even in an ideal place like Las Cruces for example (whose climate I actually prefer even more to Florida's) - is higher altitude (Las Cruces and Albuquerque are high desert) which means that four distinct seasons do occur. Because it is landlocked desert, yes, there are no comparable beach type areas. However, there are mountain vistas. It is all a tradeoff. But really the weather - while similarly beautiful in southern NM and Florida - could not be much more different (except both are better places to be in the winter than a heckuva lotta places in the U.S.).

Quote:
Also NM has state tax, while other places such as Florida do not. Just a thought. I can't wait to see NM in June. Then I will see first hand why so many people want to retire to NM.
See this list:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...ndliest/8.html

It is CNNMoney.com's ranking of the 50 states in terms of being tax-friendly or not...what you'll play in income, sales and property taxes around the country. You'll note that Florida clocks in at a very healthy #38, but New Mexico clocks in at an even healthier #40...one of the lowest taxed states in the nation on average. If you consider that, and then the extreme lower cost of other living ammeneties in New Mexico versus Florida (such as cost of homes), it is extremely more economic to live in New Mexico.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:25 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,770 times
Quote:
I guess you are right. These days living in Florida has gotten quite expensive. However, we have such magnificent beaches, blue skies, and warm weather all year around, I can figure myself living anywhere else.
You seem to really love Florida...it might be helpful for us to craft our responses here as to why you would even consider leaving a place you love so much for such a different climate / culture / atmosphere of New Mexico.

Here are some major advantages I would think NM could offer a retiree over Florida (I am referencing true retirement-friendly climates - eg: mild winters like Albuquerque, Las Cruces, Alamogordo, T or C, etc. and not mountain towns like Santa Fe, Los Alamos, etc.):

a) Lower costs of living

b) Lower costs of housing

c) Lower taxes -

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...ndliest/8.html

d) No humidity

e) Very few mosquitoes, tropics-attracted bugs, etc.

f) No long periods of major thunderstorms/rainstorms to cancel outdoor outings

g) A cooler winter and four distinct seasons to never get tired of a type of weather...hot but dry summers

h) NO HURRICANES

i) OPEN SPACES! Even the most populated city - Albuquerque is 816,00-metro. The state, the fifth biggest in the nation in landsize, is only 2-million plus in population. Florida is so terribly crowded and cramped in most areas...not a problem you endure in NM.

j) Mountains and mountain vistas

k) A quieter, more laid back pace of life

l) No spring-breakers to deal with

m) The culture and friendliness of New Mexican people versus that of Floridians. This is a general statement...there are jerks in NM, and there are great folks in FL. I have been to Florida often and really like it there! But in GENERAL terms, people in NM are much more laid back, friendly, less materialistic, etc. than people in Florida.

Those are some I can think of just offhand. Are there benefits of Florida that New Mexico doesn't offer? Sure. I would say folks would just have to decide what their priorities are and pick a place accordingly. Heck, I would say every state has advantages others don't. I am sure North Dakota or Minnesota offer things that NM doesn't...it just is a matter of what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico