Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:36 AM

946 posts, read 3,270,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Living in Eldorado is not living in Santa Fe.

Try selling your home in Eldorado, and then buying the same home in Santa Fe.
I guess you are distinguishing between city and county. I'd say it's one area. When I came out here, the same realtor showed me both. It is all officially one metro area.

Towanda is in the county -- maybe 10-15 minutes from the places in SF where you go if you are not a tourist. And very close to Harry's Roadhouse.

I'd say that Towanda lives in Eldorado in Santa Fe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 09:48 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,040,762 times
The actual name of the community is Eldorado at Santa Fe.

I have a Santa Fe address.

We are less than ten minutes from the city limits.

We pay Santa Fe county taxes.

But....my main point is that I can find houses in Santa Fe city proper that are cheaper than the house we bought in Eldorado, so the point of the above post is moot.

In my opinion.

P.S. Living near Harry's Roadhouse is a HUGE plus and factored into our decision where to live.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:09 PM

332 posts, read 1,037,238 times
Every day I watch this board, and watch the jabs at Santa Fe being just for rich people. After a while that gets a little offensive, especially to those of us who haven't retired and who get up every morning to make this town work. Yes there are rich people - and there are people who struggle with two/three jobs, and office workers and book keepers, office assistants, teachers, and so on. We are here because we decided to move to Santa Fe first, and then try to carve a living here. We're not here to get rich, or to be rich. So, people, lay off the "only rich people live in Santa Fe" schtick. It's a cheap shot, it's not true and it doesn't do justice to the vast, vast majority of people who have chosen to call Santa Fe home.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:18 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,735,690 times
You Santa Fe people can be very touchy. I think "rich" is an easy term to throw around and is not necessarily meant as a jab or cheap shot. In my opinion people who say Santa Fe is only for rich people really mean that they would be unable to live in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed if they moved to Santa Fe. Thus they would have to be rich (relatively) in order to live there. Does that make the term any more palatable?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:33 PM

332 posts, read 1,037,238 times
"Thus they would have to be rich (relatively) in order to live there. Does that make the term any more palatable?"

For the sake of everybody, I don't want to turn this into a long thread, but I'll just say the obvious, which is "relative to what?" If you moved here from Appalachia, or Kentucky or Elko Nevada, yes, this is a more expensive town. But if you're living on the coasts or in a city like Chicago, you're used to paying a premium to live downtown, and that's what you do in Santa Fe. I've helped people into $90,000 apartments here, $50,000 homes in Pecos and multimillion dollar homes on the northside - it's their choice, and what they are comfortable with. But, yes, if you want to live in downtown Santa Fe - like downtown Boulder, Chicago's Miracle Mile, LA's Manhattan Beach or NYC's Greenwich Village - it costs more.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:34 PM

946 posts, read 3,270,482 times
Default relativity

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
You Santa Fe people can be very touchy. I think "rich" is an easy term to throw around and is not necessarily meant as a jab or cheap shot. In my opinion people who say Santa Fe is only for rich people really mean that they would be unable to live in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed if they moved to Santa Fe. Thus they would have to be rich (relatively) in order to live there. Does that make the term any more palatable?
Domino, a very nice attempt to smooth things over (meant seriously -- not sarcastically) but let's remember that is often things like "filthy rich" or "Trustafarian."

The other thing is that I don't know how touchy people are in other cities, because either I say mostly positive things about other cities or just say nothing because I have only visited a few times. I don't feel comfortable generalizing about other cities on the basis of a few visits.

But I bet if I threw around terms like hot, dusty, windy, crime-ridden, poverty-stricken, drug problems, etc., I could find a few touchy people in other cities. And I don't think that it would help that I meant all of these in a relative sense.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Not really.

I am not rich, but my husband and I sacrificed a lot of personal spending through the years in order to make some investments so that we could afford to live in Santa Fe.

And guess what!!! What I found is that Santa Fe is not nearly as expensive as we expected.

I eat at the lower-priced restaurants, though you could certainly spend a great deal for a luxurious restaurant near the Plaza. We have never done that.

I shop at Target and Kohl's and Sam's club, and the prices are no higher than they are in Kansas. You could certainly shop at the exclusive boutique stores downtown; we have never done that.

Our leisure time is spent seeing places around the area, and hiking and we plan to get bicycles when we get there. You could spend your leisure time paying out lots of money for entertainment options. We don't do that.

I have a ball at Jackalope and Tin-Nee-Ann's .... I could go to exclusive art galleries and jewelry shops in the Plaza area, but I have never done that.

I could buy a pricey painting by a Santa Fe artist, but I have no interest in doing that. My plans for decorating my new house are some Georgia OKeeffe prints that my husband will make frames for.

Whether you live as a rich person or you watch carefully where your money goes...you can choose to do it either way in Santa Fe.

I DO intend to live in the lifestyle in which I have been accustomed when I moved to Santa Fe .... which is very frugally.

That is the reason I resent being lumped into a whole group and described as "filthy rich" because I am moving to Santa Fe.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:47 PM

Santafescribe,

I loved your post, and I certainly think you deserve some rep points for it .... but I can't give you any more yet.

But .... BRAVO!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 02:01 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,735,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
And guess what!!! What I found is that Santa Fe is not nearly as expensive as we expected.

That is the reason I resent being lumped into a whole group and described as "filthy rich" because I am moving to Santa Fe.
I agree, other than real estate prices and some overpriced tourist-oriented establishments, I have never found Santa Fe to be overly expensive (relative to me) for life's necessities.

However, I certainly wouldn't mind being described as "filthy rich". Maybe some day.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:17 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,673,132 times
''What makes New Mexico a good place for retirement?''. Well for the Golfers how about 8 different Golf Courses up in the beautiful Sacramento mountains in the Pine Trees and Fir Trees at about 75 degrees on a summer day in Southern New Mexico.

Links at Sierra Blanca..........Ruidoso
Cree Meadows...................Ruidoso
Inn of the Mountain Gods....Ruidoso
Alto Lakes........................Ruidoso
Hideout of Lincoln..............Ruidoso
The Lodge.......................Cloudcroft
Ponderosa Pines...............Cloudcroft
Timberon.........................Timberon

6/3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico